micahw

What are my chances? Any recommended schools to apply to?

Hello,

I am finishing my undergrad and will be graduating with a Bachelor's in Health Science from Ohio in December. I want to apply for the cycle starting in April 2018. I have not taken the GRE yet

My overall gpa is 3.4

and my science is 3.33

I'll have ~ 1500 hours PCE in April as a Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist

I have 30 hours of PA shadowing and about 50 MD shadowing

I'll have ~500 hours volunteering

I plan to have good letters of rec and personal statement

I have been researching schools that fit my profile but would love advice as this is all a bit overwhelming! Thank you!!

• Upvote 1

Maybe. It will probably depend on the quality of your LoR's. Odds go up if you're willing to apply through several cycles, as your PCE will rise. Consider taking the GRE as some schools use a composite GPA/GRE for scoring so a great score can compensate a little.

For comparison, I've applied the last two cycles with a 3.2 GPA and 3.1 science. 10k hours PCE, 323 GRE. Currently waitlisted. What I wouldn't give for even a slightly improved GPA... I was even told by one school that was the thing keeping them from directly accepting me.

TLDR, it's easier to get more hours if you are willing to wait, than it is to raise GPA after the fact. You have a shot, but also have more to do to make it happen.

Maybe. It will probably depend on the quality of your LoR's. Odds go up if you're willing to apply through several cycles, as your PCE will rise. Consider taking the GRE as some schools use a composite GPA/GRE for scoring so a great score can compensate a little.

For comparison, I've applied the last two cycles with a 3.2 GPA and 3.1 science. 10k hours PCE, 323 GRE. Currently waitlisted. What I wouldn't give for even a slightly improved GPA... I was even told by one school that was the thing keeping them from directly accepting me.

TLDR, it's easier to get more hours if you are willing to wait, than it is to raise GPA after the fact. You have a shot, but also have more to do to make it happen.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice

Mbioguy there's something wrong with your LORs or your interview style. That's poor advice. I know plenty of kids who have been accepted with a gpa lower than micahw. Lower gpa can be outweighed by that many hours and interview schools. Granted, your prereqs need to be at least a 3.4-3.5. You're seriously falling short somewhere. As long as you apply broad, and continue to work, your shot is fairly decent micah. Score a 310 on the gre and you're golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/22/2017 at 3:52 AM, Bf555 said:

Mbioguy there's something wrong with your LORs or your interview style. That's poor advice. I know plenty of kids who have been accepted with a gpa lower than micahw. Lower gpa can be outweighed by that many hours and interview schools. Granted, your prereqs need to be at least a 3.4-3.5. You're seriously falling short somewhere. As long as you apply broad, and continue to work, your shot is fairly decent micah. Score a 310 on the gre and you're golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Bf555!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KarlyLM
      Hello, 
      I’m currently taking a gap year and preparing to apply for PA school when CASPA opens up in April 2020. I have a question regarding direct patient care hours. I’ve been working as a home-health CNA for the past 3 years, racking up 2000+ hours. With that being said, I’ve always had this anxiety eating away at me that home-health CNA’s are looked down upon in the terms of what they’re able to do as opposed to CNA’s working in SNF, hospitals, etc. 
      I’m often misrepresented as a home-health aide even though I have my CNA license. I’m always afraid this will hinder me when applying to PA programs simply because I’m viewed as more of a “maid” than a healthcare professional. However, I do more CNA tasks than what people assume. I have bed ridden clients I care for, I have clients that require lifts, and I have clients that are on ventilators. On the other hand, I do have my fair share of clients that are on respite care and my time is solely spent there as a comforter and person to talk to. 

At a recent open house for a PA school I’m interested in, I voiced my concern for this and they assured me that it’s quality over quantity and as long as I was caring for someone it would suffice them. However, that’s just one of the many schools I’m interested in. With this being said, I also have some volunteer hours working as a CNA in a free clinic in my hometown where I’m doing more of the assessing and treating PA schools are looking for. However, majority of my hours are from my CNA job. 

I chose home health because I knew the company I was going to work for was very flexible with hours and I needed that while I was in college. I’ve been with them for so long and grew so close to patients that I haven’t thought about leaving and going to a hospital or SNF to get more/different exposure. 

I guess my question for anyone reading this is: would you consider my home health CNA job direct patient care? 

• By MeganPrePA
      Hello, I am a high school senior that is interested in becoming a PA. I‘m currently in the process of applying to colleges and would like to know what major would be the best for me to pursue. For a little bit of background, I had originally planned on majoring in Biology because I read that it was the most common route taken for PA school( I’m also quite fascinated with biology itself). However, after researching again, I now plan on getting a BSN so that I'll have a backup job in the medical field just in case everything doesn't go as planned. I've read that majoring in Nursing unfortunately doesn't look good because PA schools will question the student's commitment to the PA profession. Personally, I am certain that I want to become a Physician Assistant but I also want to be able to secure a job in the medical field after receiving at least my bachelors. It also seems as though the medical-related jobs that I could get with a Biology degree wouldn't be very patient care related, which is something that I wish to have in a job. Overall, I feel as though I would prosper in a more health-centered major because it relates more to my passion.
      So ultimately, my questions are:
      1. Between majoring in Biology and Nursing, which is the more advantageous route to take in order to become a PA? 
      2. Is there any true disadvantage to having a BSN when it comes to applying to PA schools? 
      3. Are there any other majors that would be a better choice to study than Biology or Nursing?
      I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can get help me out!
    • By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

• By Chewbecca
      Hello! I plan on applying to Saint Elizabeth for the 2021 application cycle and I wish to be as prepared as possible. Does anyone have any tips/stats/advice?! Anything is appreciated. Thank you!
    • By naomiesterm
      Hello,
      When I started college, I was in my school's engineering program for 4 years ( with an almost completed minor in Marine Biology). Upon my last year, I changed my major from engineering to Marine Biology. My engineering GPA has forced my overall GPA to be about 2.6. My Marine Biology GPA is above a 3.0. (All of the current pre reqs for PA school that I have taken with the exception of OCHEM 1 (C), have been Bs or better. I did improve from OCHEM 1 to 2 by getting a B)
      I still have to finish my BS in Marine Biology ( graduate in December) but I was thinking about getting an AA degree with surgical tech ( using it to get HCE/PCE by working for a year). 
      Does my AA gpa count as undergrad GPA even though I took it after my bachelor's degree?
      How does my engineering grades affect my CASPA application even though it doesnt apply to my major anymore? ( side note, my university does not replace grades for courses retaken. They simply average the two together)

Thank you in advanced!
      Naomi

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More