2017-2018 Cycle

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I brought my mom. The guests are able to listen to the first information session, go on the tour and have lunch with you and the rest of the group. They’d have to just sit around during your interview and talk with admissions but those don’t take too long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, kmh26 said:

I brought my mom. The guests are able to listen to the first information session, go on the tour and have lunch with you and the rest of the group. They’d have to just sit around during your interview and talk with admissions but those don’t take too long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for letting me know! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to bring their mom :)

On 11/2/2017 at 11:45 PM, Abria said:

Has anybody who interviewed anytime after 10/11 received an acceptance email? There have been quite a few interview dates and nobody has posted anything. I also haven't heard anything.

I heard back within a week or two but declined due to acceptance at another school. Good Luck to everyone else!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 2:32 PM, painpa11 said:

Interviewed on 11.15, placed on standby. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

Can you explain the standby list? What does it mean exactly and are we required to enroll if we are extended an offer into the program after being placed on standby? What if I receive an offer for another PA program and choose not to enroll at Salus then?

6 hours ago, halimehatun said:

Hi,

Can you explain the standby list? What does it mean exactly and are we required to enroll if we are extended an offer into the program after being placed on standby? What if I receive an offer for another PA program and choose not to enroll at Salus then?

I received an email a few weeks ago with this information. Hope it helps:

Greetings from Salus University!
We are contacting you with information regarding the “Standby List” for our PA program.  We know the wait is difficult so we hope that this email answers some lingering questions:
  •  Including you, we interviewed over 250 very strong candidates for 50 seats. 
  • As of today, there are 30 students who have been placed on ‘Standby’. 
  • We are very careful to place on the list, only those students that the Committee found to be “acceptable,” meaning your interview was successful and you have competitive credentials; we just don't have an opening right now. 
  • We continue to monitor our deposited student count on a daily basis.  If at any time between now and the start of orientation we drop below our goal of 50 deposits, we will select students from the ‘standby’ list.  This process will continue until the start of Orientation in August.  
  • We are anticipating concluding interviews in January so the number of standby students could increase or even decrease on a weekly basis.   
  • The PA Admissions Committee meets once per week.  You may not hear from us right away but keep in mind that your file is active until either we select you or, you decide to withdraw from consideration. 
  • There is no official ranking-all files are reviewed carefully by the Committee each time there is a seat open so rest assured, it is a fair and very thorough process.
  • Over the last 3 years, Salus has on average, selected 20 students per year from the standby list.  Last year, a total of 17 students were selected from standby for full admission. 
  • Please continue to update us with patient care experience, grades, letters of recommendation and shadowing experiences.    
  • Most deposited students withdraw between February 1st and April 1st when the 2nddeposit is due so this is the time we see the most students selected from standby. 
We are confident there will be more students selected, we just don’t know how many and when.
If you would like to be removed from further consideration, please contact us via email at this address.
Any additional questions should be directed to us at the admissions office.  Our email address is: admissions@salus.edu
Best of luck the rest of the way!
Salus University Admissions

13 hours ago, Lilyofthevalley16 said:

We are contacting you with information regarding the “Standby List” for our PA program.  We know the wait is difficult so we hope that this email answers some lingering questions:
  • We are very careful to place on the list, only those students that the Committee found to be “acceptable,” meaning your interview was successful and you have competitive credentials; we just don't have an opening right now. 
  • We continue to monitor our deposited student count on a daily basis.  If at any time between now and the start of orientation we drop below our goal of 50 deposits, we will select students from the ‘standby’ list.  This process will continue until the start of Orientation in August.  
  • We are anticipating concluding interviews in January so the number of standby students could increase or even decrease on a weekly basis.   
  • The PA Admissions Committee meets once per week.  You may not hear from us right away but keep in mind that your file is active until either we select you or, you decide to withdraw from consideration. 
  • There is no official ranking-all files are reviewed carefully by the Committee each time there is a seat open so rest assured, it is a fair and very thorough process.
  • Over the last 3 years, Salus has on average, selected 20 students per year from the standby list.  Last year, a total of 17 students were selected from standby for full admission. 
  • Please continue to update us with patient care experience, grades, letters of recommendation and shadowing experiences.    
  • Most deposited students withdraw between February 1st and April 1st when the 2nddeposit is due so this is the time we see the most students selected from standby. 
We are confident there will be more students selected, we just don’t know how many and when.
If you would like to be removed from further consideration, please contact us via email at this address.
Any additional questions should be directed to us at the admissions office.  Our email address is: admissions@salus.edu

I received this same email yesterday, except they said they now have interviewed over 275 students and 37 are on the standby list now!

14 hours ago, Lilyofthevalley16 said:

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I wanted to make sure it wasn't binding if I agreed to join the standby list. I appreciate your help :)

Hello everyone! I really don't know what to do so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated! I was placed on standby for Salus University on 12/7/17 because their class was already full. I was accepted to another school a few days later. The other school (Slippery Rock) was a backup option and is not where I truly want to go. I am also waiting to hear back from a few other schools because I applied rather late (early November). Normally, I would accept my seat at Slippery Rock to ensure I will be attending PA school regardless. However, I must make a NONREFUNDABLE $500 deposit to guarantee my seat. I think I am a strong candidate and was told at my interview with Salus that I would not have a difficult time getting in somewhere next cycle if I would just apply sooner. Do I accept my seat and lose $500 if I am offered a seat elsewhere? Do I call Slippery Rock and see if I can have an extension without paying? Do I call Salus and see what my odds are for removal from the standby list and acceptance into the program? Do I wait until next cycle even though I am itching to start as soon as I can? If anyone can offer some guidance or has had a similar experience I would love to hear it! 

I’m also waitlisted at Salus and two other schools, accepted at another. I sent my $500 to the school that accepted me. My advice to the poster above is to send in your $500 because that’s just how it works. People double and triple deposit at schools because it’s just an unfortunate circumstance of waitlists and the fact that schools don’t all notify at the same time. I highly doubt Slippery Rock will grant you an extension on the deposit. Just be grateful you have a sure thing and realize that $500 is nothing compared to the $80,000 you’re gonna drop on tuition. Plus many schools have a much higher deposit.

And remember the ultimate goal is to become at PA-C, not attend a certain school. Any accredited school will get you there.

Yeah, I've been having the same thoughts. I'm sure I will end up securing my spot regardless - beggars can't be choosers. I just hate the deposit because it is a ploy to get candidates to stay that might not normally so they can maintain their class size. Not to mention some of my other schools won't make decisions until mid-January and February. I appreciate your response, though. The goal of PA-C at the end of my name is why I am highly against waiting another year. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sades said:

Does anyone who was accepted know how long after being accepted we have to put down a deposit? I received an acceptance email 8 days ago and was told I would get further details in the mail but it hasn't come in yet

If I remember correctly they give you 2 weeks from the date printed on the letter to pay the deposit. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I no longer have my letter or else I would check for you. I was worried about that too, but I would of had plenty of time to pay the deposit when I received the letter in the mail.

Archived