2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On July 3, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Halcyon said:

Also interviewing on August 25th! Based on the program's website I think this will be the first interview group.

Me too! Does anyone know what the interview will be like? Or any tips from past interviewers would be so helpful :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bcurtis93

Hey everyone! My name is Brett Curtis and I'm currently a student and the elected New Student Chair @ GWU! 

For those of you who've secured an interview spot, congratulations! This is a monumental accomplishment in itself. The best (and somewhat generic) advice I can give is just to relax! On interview day, you want to be yourself and enjoy the experience as best you can. 

A few of the students from my class (including myself) will be there Aug 25 to answer any "student-student" questions you may have. 

I'll try my best to check back in occasionally on this forum to see how you guys are doing! 

- Brett 

On 7/19/2017 at 0:43 PM, bcurtis93 said:

Hey everyone! My name is Brett Curtis and I'm currently a student and the elected New Student Chair @ GWU! 

For those of you who've secured an interview spot, congratulations! This is a monumental accomplishment in itself. The best (and somewhat generic) advice I can give is just to relax! On interview day, you want to be yourself and enjoy the experience as best you can. 

A few of the students from my class (including myself) will be there Aug 25 to answer any "student-student" questions you may have. 

I'll try my best to check back in occasionally on this forum to see how you guys are doing! 

- Brett 

Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to check on us here, I'm sure you're free time is very valuable right now.  I have a few questions and I may be jumping the gun a little bit but I want to make sure I'm prepared to move quickly if the interview goes well since this program begins in Jan. 

What are housing options like in Boiling Springs? I'll be bringing my small dog... and I guess I'll bring my wife too :). Looking for a 1 or 2 bed as close to campus as possible.  Who/where does GWU partner with for clinical rotations, eg. would it be smarter to look for housing closer to a centralized clinical area?

As for the interview, I don't want to look like I'm "asking for the answers to the test" but does GWU use BBI or MMI type interviews, should we be looking for a written portion, really anything you can throw out would be a great help.

Thanks again.

Guest bcurtis93
8 hours ago, FunkyMedic said:

Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to check on us here, I'm sure you're free time is very valuable right now.  I have a few questions and I may be jumping the gun a little bit but I want to make sure I'm prepared to move quickly if the interview goes well since this program begins in Jan. 

What are housing options like in Boiling Springs? I'll be bringing my small dog... and I guess I'll bring my wife too :). Looking for a 1 or 2 bed as close to campus as possible.  Who/where does GWU partner with for clinical rotations, eg. would it be smarter to look for housing closer to a centralized clinical area?

As for the interview, I don't want to look like I'm "asking for the answers to the test" but does GWU use BBI or MMI type interviews, should we be looking for a written portion, really anything you can throw out would be a great help.

Thanks again.

Housing is very limited. I would say probably half of our class either rooms in Shelby, NC or Gaffney, SC (which is where I live). There are some people that live in Boiling Springs, NC but housing is hit or miss. Like most schools, clinical sites are widespread. We have sites ranging from small Alaskan islands only accessible by plane or boat all the way to remote villages in Africa so thats a really difficult question to answer. During rotations, you'll be required to come back to campus and periodically take exams so keeping a home base within driving distance to school is a good idea. I can't say what your interviews will be like, but I can say what mine was like. The dean presented the PA program to us first and gave us an opportunity to ask questions. There were random ice breakers and things like that. Then I interviewed one on one with 2 separate faculty members. After that we had lunch and went on about or way. It was extremely laid back. 

It only took about 30 minutes to complete the supplemental, just have your CAS ID ready. I was really surprised at the speed of the interview invite, I heard back that they needed confirmation of my Med-Term class within 24 hrs. and I uploaded that and within another 24 they had sent me an interview invite.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 0:43 PM, bcurtis93 said:

- Brett 

Any recommendations on things to see or places to eat in the area? I'm coming down a day early for my interview on the 25th. Also, any news on the ARC-PA visit that is said to have happened or will happen this month? If you can't answer that last question I understand. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you guys.

Guest bcurtis93
13 minutes ago, ATCDZ said:

Any recommendations on things to see or places to eat in the area? I'm coming down a day early for my interview on the 25th. Also, any news on the ARC-PA visit that is said to have happened or will happen this month? If you can't answer that last question I understand. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you guys.

Unfortunately there is not much to see lol You'll quickly find out that Boiling Springs, NC is a VERY small town with no much to do. Shelby, NC is not too far away though and they have ALOT more options in terms of food and stuff to do.

I hope everyone who has secured an interview spot is relaxing and enjoying the process (as many hoops as it may have haha). 

Looking forward to seeing some of you Aug 25! 

Archived