UNTHSC 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do yall think it's to late to submit my application? I like to think i have a pretty good application (~500 patient contact hours, ~250 PA/MD shadow hours, ~50 volunteer hours, I also have experience working in the Cadaver Lab as I have taken the class twice to boost my resume, ~3.6 overall and Science GPA, Combined GRE score of 306, I'm also out of state I don't know how they feel about out of staters)  I just know I am submitting it a little late and I want to know if it is worth it 

On 9/17/2017 at 1:09 PM, thatLSUgirl said:

Do yall think it's to late to submit my application? I like to think i have a pretty good application (~500 patient contact hours, ~250 PA/MD shadow hours, ~50 volunteer hours, I also have experience working in the Cadaver Lab as I have taken the class twice to boost my resume, ~3.6 overall and Science GPA, Combined GRE score of 306, I'm also out of state I don't know how they feel about out of staters)  I just know I am submitting it a little late and I want to know if it is worth it 

Hey I went to the Interview on September 16th and the PA student who was giving us the tour had his interview in February so you definitely have a chance if you can submit everything and get your GRE scores in before the deadline

4 minutes ago, onedaypa1818 said:

Just got an acceptance call! Interviewed 9/16 in the afternoon session.

Congrats to everyone else whose phone will be ringing soon!! Also; mine came through as a "No Caller ID", just FYI.

That's so exciting, congratulations!!

Do you have any tips/advice for the interview day? I will be interviewing on 10/7 :)

1 hour ago, bmh0714 said:

That's so exciting, congratulations!!

Do you have any tips/advice for the interview day? I will be interviewing on 10/7 :)

So, I honestly felt like this interview format was more impersonal than other interviews I've been to. There is a written assessment and 3 MMI style assessments. Don't stress about any of them; my best advice is to be self reflective and collected while speaking because none of my assessments required prior knowledge. The best way to stand out is to be confident because there is no one-on-one interview portion.

I felt like we were being observed heavily so make sure any interaction is professional. Your only true interaction with faculty is during the faculty panel at the beginning. Definitely dont try to impress them with some scripted question you got off of a "best questions to impress your interviewer" website; It was obvious that the faculty weren't into those

The campus is impressive and the facilities are very nice. I would advise you to sit in that faculty panel with your 35 new friends and imagine how you'd feel if the room was full of 75 students-would it still feel like a small program? You're interviewing them as much as they are you so be very conscientious of the environment and trust your instincts. 

Highlights; the faculty are super accomplished and knowledgeable. The success of the program is a no brainer. The patient simulation labs and library resources are excellent. 

Best of luck to you! 

3 minutes ago, onedaypa1818 said:

So, I honestly felt like this interview format was more impersonal than other interviews I've been too. There is a written assessment and 3 MMI style assessments. Don't stress about any of them; my best advice is to be self reflective and collected while speaking because none of my assessments required prior knowledge. The best way to stand out is to be confident because there is no one-on-one interview portion.

I felt like we were being observed heavily so make sure any interaction is professional. Your only true interaction with faculty is during the faculty panel at the beginning. Definitelt dont try to impress them with some scripted question you got off of a "best questions to impress your interviewer" website; It was obvious that the faculty weren't into those

The campus is impressive and the facilities are very nice. I would advise you to sit in that faculty panel with your 35 new friends and imagine how you'd feel if the room was full of 75 students-would it still feel like a small program? You're interviewing them as much as they are you so be very conscientious of the environment and trust your instincts. 

Highlights; the faculty are super accomplished and knowledgeable. The success of the program is a no brainer. The patient simulation labs and library resources are excellent. 

Best of luck to you! 

Thank you!! 

57 minutes ago, onedaypa1818 said:

So, I honestly felt like this interview format was more impersonal than other interviews I've been to. There is a written assessment and 3 MMI style assessments. Don't stress about any of them; my best advice is to be self reflective and collected while speaking because none of my assessments required prior knowledge. The best way to stand out is to be confident because there is no one-on-one interview portion.

I felt like we were being observed heavily so make sure any interaction is professional. Your only true interaction with faculty is during the faculty panel at the beginning. Definitely dont try to impress them with some scripted question you got off of a "best questions to impress your interviewer" website; It was obvious that the faculty weren't into those

Best of luck to you! 

I agree with all of this, but I did have a one-on-one interview portion. In fact two of my three interviews were one-on-one. The fact that UNT is a Health Science Center, it provides us as students with a huge amount of resources that other schools cannot offer. Also do not let the length of the program deter you from the school, all the students I talked to loved that it was a longer program. You are not trying to become the fastest to finish PA school but to become the best PA.

1 hour ago, JTN5340 said:

I agree with all of this, but I did have a one-on-one interview portion. In fact two of my three interviews were one-on-one. The fact that UNT is a Health Science Center, it provides us as students with a huge amount of resources that other schools cannot offer. Also do not let the length of the program deter you from the school, all the students I talked to loved that it was a longer program. You are not trying to become the fastest to finish PA school but to become the best PA.

I meant one on one as in a sit down "Why do you want to be a PA?" interview. Sorry if that wasn't clear! To clarify - your MMIs will be with faculty but they are only allowed to speak from scripts. I did not sit across from anyone and answer non-MMI questions.

Archived