MHS Graduate vs. 3rd time Applicant

Hey guys!

I am looking for some advice. I have more details listed below, but I am currently trying to decide whether to apply again next cycle for PA school or apply for an MHS program in my area. 

====================================================================================================================================

I have applied for PA programs the last two cycles and was wait-listed x2, rejected x1. Ultimately, I did gain an acceptance. 

I took this current cycle off to build my application (patient care hours, shadowing, new LOR, etc.), with plans to re-apply next April. However, in Las Vegas where I currently reside there is an MHS program that can be beneficial for Pre-PA students. It is one year in length and is the same classes their DO students take first year. It appeals to PA applicants because if you do very well in the program you are offered an interview with the PA program at this school. However, despite the success stories from current PA students at this school, I met one girl who said she did "good" and was never offered an interview, and that's not the first time I've heard that. 

SO, I am trying to figure out if it's worth it to move forward with this program or to focus on applying again next cycle to PA school. 

I'd like to share my stats with you all as well: 

-29 y/o

-Graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Biology in 2015 (transferred from 2 year community college)

-Undergrad Overall GPA: 3.7, Overall Science GPA: 3.4 ( lowest grades: Ochem1: C, BioChem: C)

-PCE: Volunteer EMT (2.5 years~2,200 hours), ER scribe x 2.5 years, currently a PCA/Caregiver working with bedbound patients 25 hours/wk)

* all pre-reqs are up-to-date, although next May, it will have been 5 years since my last A & P class*

I have been told that the MHS program is ideal for candidates with lower science GPA's ranging from as low as 2.8. As mentioned above, my science GPA could be better but it's not the worst. 

I am just not sure if I should focus on patient care hours or spend the following year on academics. The downside to the MHS program is I wouldn't be able to work, as it is a very rigorous course load. I would have to take out more loans and live off of those while in the program. 

I'm a bit confused because you say that ultimately you did gain acceptance. Which I'm assuming is a typo? Or you had to forfeit your spot and are having to reapply?

Also, based on the stats you gave, it seems like a pretty good application. Is there something else like personal statement, LORs or sub par interviewing skills that could possibly be holding you back?

Personally, the issue I have with doing the MHS program would be that it could pigeon hole you into just Touro's PA program instead of spending efforts applying to many PA programs that could possibly give you a greater chance of acceptance (unless you can't move out of Nevada). It would worry me that the MHS program is meant to be a bridge, but there is no guarantee for interview and you have heard other people who never got into the PA program after doing the MHS. It also sounds like this masters program would not be very useful in the job market if you still didn't get into PA school since it is a degree specifically meant to prepare you for PA school.

At the end of the day it will come down to if you are able/willing to spend an extra year of tuition and being unemployed. I don't think your academics are that much of a blemish. Only you can make these decisions but these are just my thoughts.

Archived