2017-18 Application Cycle

@alakait I received confirmation that they have my supplemental application, GRE scores, and verified application. However, Nancy stated the adcom would not review my application until all my reference letters were received. My last reference submitted today, so I'm expecting to hear that I am under review soon! I interviewed last cycle but didn't get in. I'm hoping this is my year!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jlthornt said:

@alakait I received confirmation that they have my supplemental application, GRE scores, and verified application. However, Nancy stated the adcom would not review my application until all my reference letters were received. My last reference submitted today, so I'm expecting to hear that I am under review soon! I interviewed last cycle but didn't get in. I'm hoping this is my year!!

Do you mind answering a few questions? I've heard conflicting info about the interview and selection process...are interview selections made on a rolling basis (someone who submitted everything in June will get the first dibs on the October interviews compared to someone who submitted 2 weeks ago)? Next, how are acceptances given out? I've seen a few people in prior years threads get acceptances shortly after the interview and some said they were notified after all of the interview sessions were completed. How much of this is accurate?

1 minute ago, ATCDZ said:

Do you mind answering a few questions? I've heard conflicting info about the interview and selection process...are interview selections made on a rolling basis (someone who submitted everything in June will get the first dibs on the October interviews compared to someone who submitted 2 weeks ago)? Next, how are acceptances given out? I've seen a few people in prior years threads get acceptances shortly after the interview and some said they were notified after all of the interview sessions were completed. How much of this is accurate?

Sure! The earlier interviews (October) seem to go to applicants with earlier verified dates WITH all evaluations received. If you're verified before all your evals are complete, they will hold off to review you based on when you're verified with all evaluations. I was verified mid-August last year and my supplemental and GRE scores had already been received. All my references had submitted their rec letters by August. I didn't receive an email that I was under review until October 26th. I received my interview invite via email on November 15th and interviewed on December 9th, their last day for interviews. So, it seems to be rolling as far as interview invites, but they do not fill all spots on a rolling basis with the earliest interviewees. Only a few spots are immediately offered after an interview date (i.e. if they really, really like you/are very confident you are great for their program). Most are told they will find out their status in January after all interviews have been conducted. So, only a select few find out shortly after each interview date (4 dates total, I believe). The rest wait until they have interviewed everyone and then the final acceptances are sent out. Those accepted receive phone calls. Its not "rolling" in the sense that all spots can be filled up before they even get to your application for review/interview offer. The remaining spots after all interviews are done are filled with applicants from any of the interview dates deemed worthy/have the highest overall score after interview. 

.....and JUST got the email confirmation they have my verified CASPA, all evaluations, and that I'm under review!! 

So this is earlier than last year. I didn't receive this email until October 26th last year. I believe it has to do with how many applicants are verified with all references in a given time. If many are ready at once, it will take them longer to get to those ready after that time frame. 

2 hours ago, jlthornt said:

Thanks for all the info, @jlthornt!! Did you ever meet with Nancy to discuss what you could have done differently last cycle to get an acceptance? How did you feel like the interview was?

1 hour ago, alakait said:

Thanks for all the info, @jlthornt!! Did you ever meet with Nancy to discuss what you could have done differently last cycle to get an acceptance? How did you feel like the interview was?

In my rejection email, she told me I could contact the program about their decision after February. I followed up via email and she told me things to work on in her reply---working in patient care, more volunteering, more shadowing hours, and to reflect on my interview and practice/prepare for future interviews. USA is very service oriented so volunteerism is a must. It was my first time interviewing and I was nervous (I know it showed). Overall it was a great experience. My interview was one hour. Everyone was very nice, welcoming, and I enjoyed the campus tour. Current PA students were helping with check in/tours and it was great to speak with them. 

4 hours ago, swillia4 said:

I received my confirmation email that my application was under review July 11th sooo I guess I'm hoping to hear closer towards mid-September vs. December about an interview or rejection...

They don't start sending invites out until closer to the deadline, so mid to late September! Interviews will start mid-October. 

South Alabama has sent me emails saying they have received my GRE scores and supplemental application and fees. Also, my caspa account says that I am verified at South. However I have not received an official "you are under review" email as I have from UAB. Does this mean they are still deciding? or could it be an error on the application? The only thing that concerns me is that on my caspa I had 5 evaluators but one did not submit. 4 complete letters, one being and MD and one being a PA. South only  requires 3 correct?  Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something! Please give advice.

On 9/15/2017 at 0:41 PM, Remy2 said:

South Alabama has sent me emails saying they have received my GRE scores and supplemental application and fees. Also, my caspa account says that I am verified at South. However I have not received an official "you are under review" email as I have from UAB. Does this mean they are still deciding? or could it be an error on the application? The only thing that concerns me is that on my caspa I had 5 evaluators but one did not submit. 4 complete letters, one being and MD and one being a PA. South only  requires 3 correct?  Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something! Please give advice.

The email that states they received my capsa says it has put may application under review. You may have overlooked it in the email. I'd go back and maybe reread that particular email. 

Is anyone expecting to hear back about their interview status BEFORE the deadline? I was under the impression that they weren't going to look at applications until the deadline. At least, that's what I gathered when I talked to Ms. Dunn and she told me that submitting my application early would not necessarily be advantageous.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, jordeze said:

Is anyone expecting to hear back about their interview status BEFORE the deadline? I was under the impression that they weren't going to look at applications until the deadline. At least, that's what I gathered when I talked to Ms. Dunn and she told me that submitting my application early would not necessarily be advantageous.

This also what I heard during an information session. No advantage to an early submission; in fact, I think she mentioned that it was better to make sure everything is perfect and submit right before than rush. Although I'm sure everyone who submitted early made sure their app was perfect.

4 minutes ago, MaryFred said:

They review them, but if they aren't participating in rolling admissions, they won't extend invitations prior to the deadline which is technically Monday since the 1st in on Sunday.

oops I replied to the wrong comment, I was referring to @alakait's "I haven't, but I reread my "Verified CASPA received" email from USA, and it said they would begin sending out interview invites in mid-September, so I don't know if they have sent any out yet or not."

Odd that they would send out invitations early when they said they aren't doing a rolling admission. Maybe I misunderstood? Oh well, fingers crossed that they send one my way!

Hey guys, don’t worry if you haven’t received an email invitation yet. I have been told that they are running a tad bit behind this cycle. I’m sure we should expect invitations at some point this week. Best of luck to you all. Also, Ms. Dunn mentioned that if you have not received an email about them receiving and confirming your CASPA application by October 1st (deadline) then to contact her via email or just call. If she doesn’t answer, she is really good about returning calls that day. 

Archived