2017-18 Application Cycle

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MaryFred said:

I'm an out of stater and even though I am above USA's required minimum number of PCE, I'm not sure that I have the number of hours that they like to see in their applicants.  But....I guess it doesn't hurt to hold out a little hope!! :) 

I only had about 515 hours but a ton of other stuff to offset it and they still want to interview me! Anything is possible :) 

I didn't receive the email that USA had received my verified application and that it was under review until 10/6. My application was actually verified at the last second (9/29). I don't think that your submission time has anything to do with your status (of course unless you didn't meet the verification deadline). 

26 minutes ago, jessskenzie said:

Hey everyone, I'm in the c/o 2018 currently in my clinical rotations. Congrats to everyone who has interviews so far! If you have any questions I'm happy to answer some.

I've been told that USA asks a lot of behavioral questions (i.e. if you could be any type of tree what would you be?), which can be hard to prepare for. Did you have any off-the-wall questions that were difficult to answer? Also, any tips for calming nerves? This is without a doubt my biggest area of concern.

7 hours ago, AshleyAlleen said:

I've been told that USA asks a lot of behavioral questions (i.e. if you could be any type of tree what would you be?), which can be hard to prepare for. Did you have any off-the-wall questions that were difficult to answer? Also, any tips for calming nerves? This is without a doubt my biggest area of concern.

Hey! So for my interview in 2015 I did not have many questions like this. I do know the process has been slightly changed since I interviewed but some important points from mine: they brought up several specific things from my application/experiences, some ethical questions but not too many. I didn't have any strange or out of left field questions, but as long as you put the patient first in your interview and have their best interest in mind you will do fine. Make sure you know why you want to be a PA! I was an applicant who was very average across the board and SO nervous because this was the only interview I got! I believe they now do a "panel" of interviewers rather than the format I had which was 3 one on one interviews. Overall, very relaxed and laid back...if there is a dinner the night before I recommend going if you can. Current students will be there to answer questions without any faculty around!

On October 22, 2017 at 0:26 PM, jessskenzie said:

Hey everyone, I'm in the c/o 2018 currently in my clinical rotations. Congrats to everyone who has interviews so far! If you have any questions I'm happy to answer some.

Hey! Thanks so much for offering to help us out. Something I would like to know is why South stood out to you. What made their program unique and desirable to you?

1 hour ago, jordeze said:

Hey! Thanks so much for offering to help us out. Something I would like to know is why South stood out to you. What made their program unique and desirable to you?

No problem! I remember how extremely nervous I was when interviewing so I am happy to help! South was a good choice for me mainly due to small class size. The faculty does a great job in selecting each class, and does their absolute best to support every student and give good feedback. We have a very tight knit class and most of us getting along pretty darn well with one another. I can't speak for c/o 2019 but that's how I feel about my class haha. And, I'm from the west coast and my family is still there so they worked with me (and other students) in setting up my 2 month pediatrics rotation back home, which was really nice. Many other students have been able to request sites closer to their hometowns as well if they are not from Mobile. Also, it's been great for me to have my PA school "experience" in a very different part of the country than where I'm from (if you are wondering why I would choose a school in the South vs closer to home lol) because I'm getting to see and learn how to treat a different demographic out here that I wouldn't otherwise. Hope that helps a little! Let me know if you have any more questions!

9 minutes ago, jessskenzie said:

No problem! I remember how extremely nervous I was when interviewing so I am happy to help! South was a good choice for me mainly due to small class size. The faculty does a great job in selecting each class, and does their absolute best to support every student and give good feedback. We have a very tight knit class and most of us getting along pretty darn well with one another. I can't speak for c/o 2019 but that's how I feel about my class haha. And, I'm from the west coast and my family is still there so they worked with me (and other students) in setting up my 2 month pediatrics rotation back home, which was really nice. Many other students have been able to request sites closer to their hometowns as well if they are not from Mobile. Also, it's been great for me to have my PA school "experience" in a very different part of the country than where I'm from (if you are wondering why I would choose a school in the South vs closer to home lol) because I'm getting to see and learn how to treat a different demographic out here that I wouldn't otherwise. Hope that helps a little! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Wow, that's awesome that they're working so well with you guys from OOS. I also love the small class sizes at USA, and I have heard about the faculty doing a phenomenal job at helping each student succeed. I'm more excited than I am nervous about the interview. I'll definitely let you know if I've got any other questions!

Archived