Vane1021

UTPA 2017-2018 Application Cycle

16 hours ago, PAcmdub said:

Hi there! Congrats on graduating :) we are all so hopeful to be in your shoes soon.

Do you feel like you were well prepared for your boards by utrgv? The pass rates have been up and down and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you :)

Thank you & keep working hard and you will be in my shoes very soon ! 

I loved the university i attended and i do believe i was well trained, for boards and for practicing.

The curriculum is module based something that I really liked , seeing all of cardiology from pathophysiology, anatomy, pharmacology, clinical medicine, patient education vs seeing different organ systems in each class worked for me.

They do a lot on preparing you for boards, such as the multitude of exams that are directly taken from the NCCPA blue print,end of rotation exams by PAEA in your clinical year, PAK RAT and board reviews. So far everyone who has taken it in my class passed , and last years class had a 99 % pass rate on first try. 

Program is getting stronger every year. 

But honestly it comes down to how hard you work and the work you put in, you can attend the best program in the nation but if we don't put in the work and study hard on our own the PANCE will be hard to pass. 

keep your options open, but I always had a passion for the undeserved community in the RGV so going to UTRGV was the perfect match for me. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/20/2018 at 5:37 PM, Mozilla826 said:

If there are any questions about the program let me know.  I am a current student

This might be a bit more difficult to answer as things might change from year to year, but what is the typical breakdown of events from now till the first day of class? In other words, what should we be expecting to hear from the university as far as things we need to do or events we may have to attend before class starts

Honestly, I would say enjoy the free time that you have before the program starts. For those that get accepted there will be an academy for success before the semester starts.

18 minutes ago, Mozilla826 said:

Honestly, I would say enjoy the free time that you have before the program starts. For those that get accepted there will be an academy for success before the semester starts.

Can you please tell me a little about how the exams are set up and if they are all on the same day? How do you prepare for each exams? How helpful are the professors? Are there any review sessions? 

Do you live on campus housing or in an apartment? What are your suggestion for living on campus? 

Thank you for all the information! When did the academy for success begin ? Around what month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live off campus but there are housing options on campus. The exams are on Mondays. To prepare I usually read the assigned readings and do practice questions. If you need help the professors are always there to help...The best!

The academy for success is in early August 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, SBarlow said:

Has anyone heard or followed up with the program regarding available slots?

I emailed last Friday but they have not responded yet :(

Guest physasst3
2 minutes ago, zoltman said:

I emailed last Friday but they have not responded yet :(

They're taking way too long to let us know to be honest.

20 hours ago, physasst3 said:

Dooooooood. I have to make a decision about my Lease by the 27th. After that I get fined a stupid amount of money for each day beyond. But if I make a decision and sign a lease somewhere and then have to cancel that lease because I do happen to get in, I also pay a stupid amount of money.

Halp.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, zoltman said:

Dooooooood. I have to make a decision about my Lease by the 27th. After that I get fined a stupid amount of money for each day beyond. But if I make a decision and sign a lease somewhere and then have to cancel that lease because I do happen to get in, I also pay a stupid amount of money.

Halp.

Can you sign a month to month lease where you are for now?

Also, has anyone tried calling?

6 minutes ago, PAcmdub said:

Can you sign a month to month lease where you are for now?

Also, has anyone tried calling?

I could, but the rate would be roughly 50% higher on the month-to-month rate.

On 3/8/2018 at 0:31 PM, physasst3 said:

Has anyone tried to call the department and ask? I am treading this fine line between being persistent and impatient. 

• Upvote 1

Guest physasst3
23 minutes ago, SBarlow said:

Has anyone tried to call the department and ask? I am treading this fine line between being persistent and impatient. 

I emailed them twice like three weeks ago and took approximately two weeks to reply to one email. They told me the same thing they have been telling everybody else - still interviewing and reviewing patients.

25 minutes ago, physasst3 said:

I emailed them twice like three weeks ago and took approximately two weeks to reply to one email. They told me the same thing they have been telling everybody else - still interviewing and reviewing patients.

I may just call and ask again for an update. I don’t want to be scrambling to get in my application the next application cycle.  

On 3/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, SBarlow said:

I may just call and ask again for an update. I don’t want to be scrambling to get in my application the next application cycle.  

Any update? Getting antsy lol.

Anyone who has been accepted have any updates? I recieved my official acceptance in February and have not heard anything since. 

19 hours ago, 00mck said:

Anyone who has been accepted have any updates? I recieved my official acceptance in February and have not heard anything since. 

Not yet. I think we should get welcome packet soon

Guest physasst3
17 minutes ago, ac03 said:

They are still interviewing. 

Did they tell you when they expect to inform us about getting accepted, denied, waitlisted?

19 hours ago, ac03 said:

They are still interviewing. 

Ok so do we know this because someone was just offered an interview? Or because that was a generic response from the program?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ac03 said:

Hi all!

They were holding interviews yesterday. 

Oh goodness. I'm just getting nervous because I don't want to re-apply without getting an answer but I also wanna apply really early this time.