UTPA 2017-2018 Application Cycle

2 hours ago, PAcmdub said:

Maybe @BooRoo could ask their 2nd year friend? Pretty please? :)

I didn’t ask but I’m pretty sure it just depends on the number of students accepted that plan to attend UTRGV. I’m sure some have received multiple invitations. So once those seats open up they will probably go down the alternate list. How that is ordered or how many are on that list I do not know. Good luck to you both. Someone said there were acceptances up to few weeks before classes started last year so remain positive!! 

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BooRoo said:

I didn’t ask but I’m pretty sure it just depends on the number of students accepted that plan to attend UTRGV. I’m sure some have received multiple invitations. So once those seats open up they will probably go down the alternate list. How that is ordered or how many are on that list I do not know. Good luck to you both. Someone said there were acceptances up to few weeks before classes started last year so remain positive!! 

Thanks for the good vibes I appreciate you :)

Hi everyone! So I interviewed December 11th and haven’t heard back either. I emailed both Ms. Mealer and the graduate college last week (twice). I was told by both parties that they were still interviewing and reviewing applicants. They both stated by March they would send out emails with official decisions. I know this is completely opposite of what others have said. I don’t mean to throw a wrench in it all but there is different information being communicated between parties. 

I think it was easier accepting their class size was full,  but after reading that email I am back to the waiting game. 

1 hour ago, SBarlow said:

Hi everyone! So I interviewed December 11th and haven’t heard back either. I emailed both Ms. Mealer and the graduate college last week (twice). I was told by both parties that they were still interviewing and reviewing applicants. They both stated by March they would send out emails with official decisions. I know this is completely opposite of what others have said. I don’t mean to throw a wrench in it all but there is different information being communicated between parties. 

I think it was easier accepting their class size was full,  but after reading that email I am back to the waiting game. 

Oh weeee. They sure like keeping their applicants on their toes. 

2 hours ago, SBarlow said:

I really hope so :)  Mrs Mealer had told me we would all hear by January and others were told differently, so honestly I don’t think anyone has the right answer/response. I would just wait for official letters to be sent. That’s really the only way we will know for certain. 

On 1/28/2018 at 6:05 PM, PAcmdub said:

Welllllll peeps got an email Saturday afternoon saying I'm an alternate with conditional acceptance. I'm happy its not a no, and to have some kind of response! Buuuut the wait continues lol. Anyone have any idea how UTRGV handles the waitlist? Ranking? Or if there is much movement? 

Congrats! What does that mean exactly? Is that the same as “waitlist” or is it even better? I still haven’t heard from them and I interviewed in October!

4 hours ago, texastime said:

Congrats! What does that mean exactly? Is that the same as “waitlist” or is it even better? I still haven’t heard from them and I interviewed in October!

Oh I have no idea. I just assumed it was their version of saying waitlisted lol.

Hang tough friend, we're all there with you. 

16 hours ago, physasst3 said:

Do you guys recommend sending transcripts from fall semester? I still haven't heard anything back so I'm debating on doing so!

Kind of iffy. As much as I would like to say it would help, I don't think it would. At another interview, during the orientation, one of the interviewees asked this and the head of the department said that they have already reviewed completely and they wouldn't have the time or resources to receive new information (due to formal processing of the paperwork from receiving and filing with your application and then the true consideration of the new information). I just feel this late in the game the applicants have been valuated and they wouldn't consider new information. 

That's just my opinion on it. BUTTTTTT of course it would never hurt you. So if you want to, I say go for it!

6 minutes ago, zoltman said:

Kind of iffy. As much as I would like to say it would help, I don't think it would. At another interview, during the orientation, one of the interviewees asked this and the head of the department said that they have already reviewed completely and they wouldn't have the time or resources to receive new information (due to formal processing of the paperwork from receiving and filing with your application and then the true consideration of the new information). I just feel this late in the game the applicants have been valuated and they wouldn't consider new information. 

That's just my opinion on it. BUTTTTTT of course it would never hurt you. So if you want to, I say go for it!

I agree with all of the above however, if you want to submit it to caspa to kind of get ahead of the game for next year, go for it if they'll let you. I've been updating my application for experiences constantly so I don't have to mess with it as much in April.

10 minutes ago, kg8868 said:

I agree with all of the above however, if you want to submit it to caspa to kind of get ahead of the game for next year, go for it if they'll let you. I've been updating my application for experiences constantly so I don't have to mess with it as much in April.

Glad you brought that up actually. So to begin a new application, we can just use our old and update it? I was afraid we'd have to completely start over. 

2 minutes ago, zoltman said:

Glad you brought that up actually. So to begin a new application, we can just use our old and update it? I was afraid we'd have to completely start over. 

A couple weeks before the new cycle opens, CASPA will send out an email for instructions on how to apply as a reapplicant. It saves transcripts, experiences and biographical info from last cyle and you're free to update it all as you please. You don't have to submit new transcripts unless you've taken classes since you got your coursework verified last time.

Just now, kg8868 said:

A couple weeks before the new cycle opens, CASPA will send out an email for instructions on how to apply as a reapplicant. It saves transcripts, experiences and biographical info from last cyle and you're free to update it all as you please. You don't have to submit new transcripts unless you've taken classes since you got your coursework verified last time.

Beautiful. But hopefully we won't need to apply as reapplicants as we will have been matriculated students by then :D

Guest physasst3
1 minute ago, kg8868 said:

I forgot I sent an email to the department about a month before I emailed Ms. Mealer the same thing. Anyway, got an email today from the department saying they're still reviewing and interviewing. 

They told me the same thing today, but I haven't heard anyone else getting interview emails so I don't know exactly what's going on

Archived