UTPA 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/21/2017 at 3:30 PM, imrmaknojia said:

Hey guys ..do you’ll know if they allow students to do rotations in Houston. 

From the program website:  "all students and applicants must complete the entire professional curriculum in residence at the University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley."

On 10/16/2017 at 1:18 PM, sarezai said:

I saw this on their website. I just wanted to share with ya'll. 

"As shared in my January 19, 2017, letter to the campus community, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) was notified in December 2016, that we were being placed on probation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). The probation is for a period of 12 months and will require SACSCOC Board action during its December 2017 meeting. As we previously reported, the specific concerns are related to the complexity of the transition that involved the separation of UTB/TSC, the separate accreditation of TSC, the rename of UTPA, and the closure of UTB once TSC received separate accreditation. It is hard to overstate the complexity of this process."

From what I just read on all this, the next review is in December this year so that decision should be made public by February, maybe? At the latest? I feel like they will have everything together because they were informed on what they needed to improve on but just in case, that'll at least give us a fair amount of warning before the program starts so we can make our decisions.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, sarezai said:

How were the interview? What should we expect? 

The interview is very relaxed. Expect two professors/faculty to be interviewing you. "Tell me about yourself" is pretty much guaranteed. They will ask about any "red flags," especially on transcript. Make sure to have one to two questions prepared for the end of interview. Whole interview process is different this year vs. last year. And it is rolling admission this year.

1 minute ago, dannysalvador94 said:

So I emailed Ms.Davila last week asking her an estimated time of when we would know if we got accepted/rejected and she hasn’t written back. Usually when I email her I get a response with hours or at the latest a day:(

I emailed both Mrs. Mealer and Ms. Davila last week as well, and this morning Mrs. Mealer replied back saying that they should have admissions decisions made by the end of the semester. I checked the academic calendar, and the end of the semester is December 14th, although she did say "by" not "at", so I'm guessing later this month or early December? Idk, but I'm hoping later this month (trying to be optimistic here lol).

On 10/30/2017 at 6:21 PM, johnqsample1 said:

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but I'm glad to see so many of you posting and talking about your experiences. I have an interview in a couple of days and I'm pretty nervous! I'll let you all know how it goes!

By the way, if you have any tips for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance! 

When you greet your interviewers, give them your best smile and a firm handshake. Ik this is hard to do when you're nervous (me lol), but just be yourself and don't say all these fancy words thinking you'll impress them. Speak simply, but concisely, and just make sure you know your reasons for becoming a PA. It's a very relaxed interview, although I was still a bit nervous myself. What helped me is that I gave myself a little pep talk before going in, but do whatever works for you to calm your nerves. I'm sure you'll have an awesome interview... :)

4 hours ago, Vane1021 said:

When you greet your interviewers, give them your best smile and a firm handshake. Ik this is hard to do when you're nervous (me lol), but just be yourself and don't say all these fancy words thinking you'll impress them. Speak simply, but concisely, and just make sure you know your reasons for becoming a PA. It's a very relaxed interview, although I was still a bit nervous myself. What helped me is that I gave myself a little pep talk before going in, but do whatever works for you to calm your nerves. I'm sure you'll have an awesome interview... :)

Well said, Vane1021, this is the best advice for the interview! They just want to get to know you and your motives for choosing this line of work. 

Archived