Hobbies

I was wondering if the extracurricular activities could include hobbies and not necessarily things I have done with organizations. I am really into photography and drawing in my free time but don't know if that would be something worth including in my experience section. Any advice would be appreciated as to what I should and should not include in my extracurricular activities portion. 

Thank you!

• Administrator

Have you won any awards? Showed or exhibited your work?  Those can show persistence and willingness to apply yourself.  Just doing something fun is cool, but not likely to differentiate you from other applicants unless it is truly something special.  Won't hurt to include it regardless, but it might not help explain why a PA school should select you as opposed to some other applicant.  Well-roundedness is not always as appreciated as you or I might like.

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, rev ronin said:

Have you won any awards? Showed or exhibited your work?  Those can show persistence and willingness to apply yourself.  Just doing something fun is cool, but not likely to differentiate you from other applicants unless it is truly something special.  Won't hurt to include it regardless, but it might not help explain why a PA school should select you as opposed to some other applicant.  Well-roundedness is not always as appreciated as you or I might like.

I also have a question regarding this. I did two separate extensive canoe trips through a non-profit organization. Each of the trips were 30 days in the remote wilderness of Canada with eight other girls. We traveled everyday rain or shine through rough conditions, only stopping for a lunch. We only had two outfits, raingear, and enough to each get three meals a day. The physical and mental exhaustion got difficult and really tested us as a team as well as individually. We had no contact to home or with civilization for the entirety of the trip. We only used a map for direction because we had to get to a specific destination at the end where a float plane picked us up and brought us pack to civilization. Each day, our crew was assigned different roles and duties. It taught extensive leadership, self-discipline, teambuilding, hard work, survival and logistical skills. If you think I should include this experience in my application, let me know. I feel like it was an important experience in my life, and it taught me many of the skills I use daily.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Haleyj said:

If you think I should include this experience in my application, let me know. I feel like it was an important experience in my life, and it taught me many of the skills I use daily.

Absolutely. PA school is just like that (in many important ways, at least), but 27 months long.  You want to demonstrate experiences that prompted you to not quit and function as a team.  Was this NOLS?

On 11/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, rev ronin said:

Absolutely. PA school is just like that (in many important ways, at least), but 27 months long.  You want to demonstrate experiences that prompted you to not quit and function as a team.  Was this NOLS?

As I read it while comparing to picturing myself in PA school, I can fully imagine and believe it! Thank you. No, it was Les Voyageurs Expeditions out of central MN. 

Archived