2017 Application Cycle

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do not contact anyone until October regarding interview invites/denials, but everyone will hear from them in October. I was not offered an interview last year but I've talked to a few of the students and have gone to a few of Doris Dalton's information sessions. Hope that helps!

There's 3 questions and you have 15 mins per each one, but there is no timer on the screen, so set a timer for yourself so you can monitor how much time you have left. There's not much you can really do to prepare for the questions themselves. Hope this is helpful!

How are you guys preparing for the supplemental? Did you think any of the questions were surprising or not what you expected? I haven't started it yet and am getting a little stressed out about not knowing the questions ahead of time. 

Just be yourself and prepare for normal interview type questions. The instructions explicitly state not to share the questions with anyone, so I'm hesitant to be more specific but you'll be fine. 15 min is just enough time to organize your thought and write it out. It's not high stress. One thing that helps though, is have a timer on your phone or something (like Jsh2260 said) cause once 15min is up it autosaves and moves to the next question. Good luck.

Yeah, don't overthink it. The questions are pretty standard interview questions. Word of advice, set a timer on your phone to pace yourself and if it's too close to the end of your time, don't manually save it... I made that mistake and it skipped a question. Easy enough to fix over an email, but better to not even need it.

• 3 weeks later...

The supplemental application questions are set up like a regular interview questions. you have 15 mins to answer and thats plenty of time to organized your thought and type up your answer. Like in a regular interview, my advice is to know yourself really well, your reasons why u want to be a PA and why UPAP. Goodluck to everyone who are applying this year. UPAP is an amazing program. 

-current first year student

• 2 weeks later...

The prereqs in CASPA. Do they really want you to list ALL the bio classes or just 4 units worth? It is different from other schools.

Also, what do you guys mean submitted and verified? You mean the main CASPA application submitted and verified or does Utah do their own verification and then send you supplemental afterward? Or does supplemental come after you paid your $51?

• 2 weeks later...

I listed my highest level pertinent classes that met the units required. Nobody will fault you for listing more. Once you 'submit' your CASPA and pay the fees, the folks that run the CASPA site will go through your application and 'verify' that the information you uploaded is truthful and accurate. Once that is done and sent off to your schools of choice, each school will then review your application. If they decide you are among the top certain percentile for their program and meet the hardline qualifications, they will then send you a supplemental application. This is free for the UoU if I remember correctly. This is simply to see if you meet the mission and if they want to get to know you further to consider a face-to-face interview. Don't be nervous. These questions are not hard and you will have plenty of time to formulate an answer. Once this is done, sit back and relax. The dates for interview invites are posted on the UPAP admissions page under 'Important Dates.' Here is a link just incase you have trouble finding it. http://medicine.utah.edu/dfpm/physician-assistant-studies/admissions/ 

17 hours ago, pa8605 said:

Any current students that can give us an insight about the program, why here, what does the masters project entail, how far away where rotations? Any pros or cons about the school you would be willing to share? Thanks!

The University of Utah has one of the oldest Physician Assistant programs in the country. In fact, it was one of the original MEDEX programs. It has been one of the Top rated programs in the country for quite some time also. Some of the reasons for this could be the cost for starters. The UoU program has much lower tuition rates than many other PA programs but as you can see with the ranking and reputation- paying more doesn't always equate to a better education. The faculty here really REALLY cares. The director of admissions is one of the big reasons I chose the U personally, and since interviewing and now attending, I have seen excellence from so many of the faculty here. The location is also a plus if you enjoy outdoor activities *(not that you will have a TON of time for this as the UoU PA program is no joke). This program starts you off at a sprint and keeps the pace for the duration. You begin practical application nearly immediately which will give you a huge confidence and technical advantage when you begin clinical year as it won't be the first time you interact with a patient for real. Many of the professors are the top of their field and take the time to make sure we understand the topics so we can treat patients effectively and appropriately, not just pass an exam. As for the Masters project, it is changing this year. So far what we know is that we will be addressing a community concern and developing a PICO question. We will then work as a team to address this and hopefully develop a plan that improves the health of the patient population we will be researching. We start diving into this next semester so I can't help you much there. As for rotations, they try to keep you in the Salt Lake valley (about 50 miles or so) save for a your rural rotations which could be farther away. As for the pros- many I listed above in the 'why here' portion. Other pros- one of the best anatomists in the country. (look up the noted anatomist on youtube, that's our guy). Other pros- everyone in the program is intelligent, caring and has your back. Our class is a very friendly, driven group with zero competition. Everyone genuinely cares and wants YOU to succeed right along with them. We all really care about the mission of serving the underserved too, so if that's something you're passionate about, this is the school for you. Cons- the building is outdated, but that is obviously being addressed. The UoU is a rapidly expanding campus with big plans in store for the future- by far the smallest complaint. Other cons- rattlesnakes. The school is on the Wasatch bench which, unfortunately has a rattlesnake population. I have yet to see one, but just for completion. I could not see myself in any other program because I know I am getting an amazing education with amazing people by amazing people. Hope that helps!

Well I didn't realize that there wasn't a visible timer when I began, so I probably should have set my own like a lot of people here said. That being said, I managed to get a decent answer to each question. My one issue though is that I have an incomplete sentence on the 3rd question. The timer ended while I was concluding my statement. Hopefully that's not too big of a deal.

Archived