• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, PA2k20 said:

Hi all,

has anyone from the waitlist heard anything back?

Hi PA2k20 - we have not had any activity from the wait list. Our incoming class of 30 is at capacity at this time. If you are a candidate active on our wait list, our program would be in communication should the need arise (i.e. a current deposited student withdraws before our May start). 

Caryn Stopper
Director of Admissions

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BrethePA said:

Hello All, 

I dont know if this post is still active, but I plan to apply this coming cycle 2018-2019 and wanted to know if Penn State takes a more holistic approach with applicants. My GPA is on the lower side, but i have lots of hours in PCE and HCE

I don't know how they compare to other programs. This was the only school I applied to and they accepted me. I can speak of my own experience. I don't have a very high GPA but I meet the minimum requirement. If I were you I wouldn't worry to much about that. Additionally I, like you haven a ton of medical experience. That is something that will set your apart from your peers. This school I'm sure gets thousands of applicants that are tremendous students, but how many have, put in chest tubes, Intubated, venous cut down, sutures, ekgs, iv....etc. Definitely accentuate your experience as best you can.  

I was also told that my recommendation letters were exceptional. At this point unless you can retake a few classes in time for the deadline work on things you can control. Do some volunteer activity and make sure your recommendations are tight. 

I look forward to seeing you on campus next year. :)

19 hours ago, BrethePA said:

Hello All, 

I dont know if this post is still active, but I plan to apply this coming cycle 2018-2019 and wanted to know if Penn State takes a more holistic approach with applicants. My GPA is on the lower side, but i have lots of hours in PCE and HCE

Hi BrethePA,

I couldn’t agree more with BluePA.  I was a non-traditional student with over 30,000 hours (15 years) of clinical experience.  While I also had grades at the very high end of the accepted range, I certainly had my “weaknesses” in other areas (GREs specifically).  So, yes, focus on what you can control and work in your areas of improvement but also remember to excentuate your strengths.  Good Luck!!

- Sue, PA-C, PSU Class of 2017

To all,

Thank you to those who have sent me questions directly.  I apologize for not posting a public response to them as of yet and will try to get to them soon.  In the meantime, if you have not followed this thread from the beginning, I encourage you to read it in its entirety and you may already find answers to your questions.  With the next CASPA cycle set to open in a few weeks, reviewing the posts herein will also give you a good idea as to the ebb and flow of the PSU application process.  Congrats to all those accepted into the Class of 2020 and Best of Luck to those already preparing to join the Class of 2021!

*P.S.- This forum will remain active until a new thread is started by the Program for the next application cycle.  Look for this in early summer.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:21 AM, BluePa said:

I don't know how they compare to other programs. This was the only school I applied to and they accepted me. I can speak of my own experience. I don't have a very high GPA but I meet the minimum requirement. If I were you I wouldn't worry to much about that. Additionally I, like you haven a ton of medical experience. That is something that will set your apart from your peers. This school I'm sure gets thousands of applicants that are tremendous students, but how many have, put in chest tubes, Intubated, venous cut down, sutures, ekgs, iv....etc. Definitely accentuate your experience as best you can.  

I was also told that my recommendation letters were exceptional. At this point unless you can retake a few classes in time for the deadline work on things you can control. Do some volunteer activity and make sure your recommendations are tight. 

I look forward to seeing you on campus next year. :)

Thanks so much!!!

15 hours ago, ST@PSU said:

Hi BrethePA,

I couldn’t agree more with BluePA.  I was a non-traditional student with over 30,000 hours (15 years) of clinical experience.  While I also had grades at the very high end of the accepted range, I certainly had my “weaknesses” in other areas (GREs specifically).  So, yes, focus on what you can control and work in your areas of improvement but also remember to excentuate your strengths.  Good Luck!!

Thanks so much! Cant wait for the new thread to open!

Archived