On 1/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, ST@PSU said:

Only Caryn Stopper can answer that; however, since we are not passed the deadline, I would guess probably not.

Is PSU still sending out invites for interviews? I applied in mid-October but haven't heard anything yet. I know people have said you guys interview until February, but not hearing back for 3 months now has made me a bit disheartened.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jchen14 said:

Is PSU still sending out invites for interviews? I applied in mid-October but haven't heard anything yet. I know people have said you guys interview until February, but not hearing back for 3 months now has made me a bit disheartened.

Again, only Caryn Stopper can speak to this.  But, as the deadline has not passed, applicants are still being considered for interviews.  And if you are invited to interview, you will be vying for at least one open seat in the class which starts in May.  Applicants who are NOT invited to interview typically hear from the program in mid-March or later, when the class is usually filled.  For a point of reference, and speaking only as a previous applicant, my classmates and I were generally invited to interview within one month of submitting the secondary application.  Again, that was my experience and the experience of others may vary widely.  You should consider yourself an active candidate until you hear from the program or at least until the end of February when interviews are typically completed.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

- Sue, PA-C, PSU Class of 2017

11 hours ago, GoFlacco said:

Has anyone e-mailed to inquire on their position of the waitlist? Or anyone know if the waitlist is more fluid and not really consisting of ranked applicants? 

Hi GoFlacco!  Great to hear from you!  Sorry about your Ravens.  But I am super happy to be cheering for my Eagles! ? ?

To answer your question, and speaking as a twice waitlisted candidate, the waitlist at PSU is not ranked.  If any seats become available once the class is filled (usually end of February), the admissions committee reconvenes to reconsider the applicants on the waitlist. As with initial selection, I am not privy to the process of selecting applicants from the waitlist.  I can say that openings that need filled can occur at any point as things are always changing with accepted applicants.  A current second year student was accepted off the waitlist 2 days AFTER her class matriculated.  Personally, I was accepted off the waitlist 2 days before my class began.  So there is always hope!  You will be asked, usually via email, in the next month or so if you would like to remain active on the waitlist.  If your plans have changed, certainly say no.  But if PSU remains a top choice school for you, then I encourage you to say YES!

As with all my posts, hope this helps.  Thank you for your continued interest in PSU.  Best of luck!!

On 1/29/2018 at 10:05 PM, ST@PSU said:

Hi GoFlacco!  Great to hear from you!  Sorry about your Ravens.  But I am super happy to be cheering for my Eagles! ? ?

To answer your question, and speaking as a twice waitlisted candidate, the waitlist at PSU is not ranked.  If any seats become available once the class is filled (usually end of February), the admissions committee reconvenes to reconsider the applicants on the waitlist. As with initial selection, I am not privy to the process of selecting applicants from the waitlist.  I can say that openings that need filled can occur at any point as things are always changing with accepted applicants.  A current second year student was accepted off the waitlist 2 days AFTER her class matriculated.  Personally, I was accepted off the waitlist 2 days before my class began.  So there is always hope!  You will be asked, usually via email, in the next month or so if you would like to remain active on the waitlist.  If your plans have changed, certainly say no.  But if PSU remains a top choice school for you, then I encourage you to say YES!

As with all my posts, hope this helps.  Thank you for your continued interest in PSU.  Best of luck!!

Ah I understand, thank you so much for getting back to me and for the thorough answer! If that is the case, I am hoping to hear back from the program in the near future :D 

Also, will be rooting for the Eagles, because....patriots x.x 

3 minutes ago, Almortega said:

Hey guys! I have an interview the 16th! I was just wondering what are he locations of the clinical rotations. Are they all local or is there possibilities of doing them in places like dc? Sorry I’m sure his will be explained during the interview date but the anticipation is killing me! 

When did you get the invite?! Congratss!!!

21 minutes ago, Jchen14 said:

Good luck! What were your stats like if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure! I was a biochemistry major at Colorado college 2016 grad with a cumulative 3.5 gpa and 3.3 science gpa. I have around 2200 direct patient care hours. I was a student athletic trainer, clinical research coordinator and medical assistant. 

GRE: 53% math, 80% verbal and 93% writing 

my gre precentiles are a little rough I don’t exactly remember the specific percentiles but the ones I have provided are close. 

Just now, Almortega said:

Sure! I was a biochemistry major at Colorado college 2016 grad with a cumulative 3.5 gpa and 3.3 science gpa. I have around 2200 direct patient care hours. I was a student athletic trainer, clinical research coordinator and medical assistant. 

GRE: 53% math, 80% verbal and 93% writing 

my gre precentiles are a little rough I don’t exactly remember the specific percentiles but the ones I have provided are close. 

Thanks for sharing friend! Is this your first or second time applying? I have similar stats to yours grade-wise but my PCE is 1/3 of yours. 

2 minutes ago, Jchen14 said:

Thanks for sharing friend! Is this your first or second time applying? I have similar stats to yours grade-wise but my PCE is 1/3 of yours. 

Ya no problem! It’s my first time and only time applying.  I have been accepted to lipscomb in Nashville and waitlisted at GW 

I’m waiting to hear back from three interviews I have had in the past week. 

1 minute ago, Almortega said:

Ya no problem! It’s my first time and only time applying.  I have been accepted to lipscomb in Nashville and waitlisted at GW I’m waiting to hear back from three interviews I have had in the past week. 

That's great! I hope you are accepted. It must be a pain traveling to and fro every place you have an interview. I am planning on applying to PSU again and GWU next cycle. I hope all goes smoothly. I do have my work cut out for me though. I am retaking GRE in April and retaking biochem/micro right now. 

14 hours ago, Almortega said:

Hey guys! I have an interview the 16th! I was just wondering what are he locations of the clinical rotations. Are they all local or is there possibilities of doing them in places like dc? Sorry I’m sure his will be explained during the interview date but the anticipation is killing me! 

Congrats on the invite!  Regarding clinical rotation sites, the majority are fairly local to the Hershey area (within 1 hour).  However, your elective, and sometimes possibly others can be arranged at other sites.  When it comes to rotations, things are frequently changing and evolving, so this really is a question best answered at the interview by the faculty and the current students you will meet.  Good luck!

- Sue

Hi all,

Just a general comment.  I have noticed that some of you, who I obviously know through your posts and participation in this thread are applicants/candidates/prospective students, have identified your profession as “physician assistant”.  Please be aware that, especially if you are participating and posting in other threads on the forum where your correct status as a “pre-PA” may not be as obvious, that this would be mis-representing yourself and could cause confusion to other readers who will think you are speaking as a practicing PA.

Thanks to everyone who has posted- this forum would not be the great resource that it is without your input!  As always, thank you for your continued interest in PSU.  And congrats to all those receiving acceptances!  

Best,

For those  receiving acceptances....CONGRATS!!  I got a few questions from an accepted candidate about what I wish I had known prior to starting and what I wish I had.

First, if you have been following this thread for some time, you will know that I was a waitlisted candidate and accepted just 2 DAYS before classes started!  So, I guess you could say I wish I had known I was going to be accepted! :-)  However, if I had known I would be accepted, I think the only thing it would have changed is that I would have taken about a month off of work to get some things in order and prepare my family for the intensity of the next two years.  I was a non-traditional student and went from working full-time on a Friday to being a full-time (which, in PA school, is more than full-time) student the following Monday.  I also went from being a very involved mother to having very little time with my kids.  So, having the time to just enjoy life before matriculation would have been nice.  However, that being said, I’m also afraid that had I known I would be starting PA school I would have spent the time trying to study and review which I would absolutely not recommend.  Everyone will have their strengths and weaknesses coming in to didactic year and you will be taught everything you need to know.  That’s not to say that maybe you will not struggle in one area or another but that you will be provided the materials and experiences to succeed if you put in all the work and effort (which will seem never ending at times) necessary.

As for what I wish I would have had...again, in my case, time would have been nice.  But I will infer that the person who asked this question meant a more material object.  Since I had been out of undergrad for so long, I did need to get my own laptop (we just had one for the family previously).  So my brand new MacBook was essential.  But, if you have an older laptop or notebook of some sort, don’t invest money in a new one until you receive the tech requirements from the program.  If it has not already been started, all of you who are accepted will be invited to a closed social media group on a platform similar to Facebook through which Caryn will be communicating with you and accepted students to the Class of 2020 can securely connect.

Thanks for the great questions!  I hope this helps.  But please keep in mind that there are as many different answers to these questions as there are students who are in or have graduated from our program.  You will all do great no matter what.  You have been selected because the Program knows you will, not only succeed, but make the very best PAs.

-Sue, PA-C, PSU Class of 2017

• 3 weeks later...

Archived