• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Nicwilk said:

@bstaten congratulations!!! how exciting:) how are you planning on spending your time during the months leading up to the program?? I interviewed a couple weeks ago and fell in love, can't wait to hear back! such an amazing program.

Hey, thank you! I'm actually going to be working as an EMT at the Milton S. Hershey medical center (the hospital attached to the school) until the program starts. I live a few minutes from campus, and absolutely love this area. I hope you receive good news shortly! 

On 9/30/2017 at 8:59 PM, bstaten said:

I got the call. Accepted! Good luck to those still in the application/interview process :) 

Congratulations! I got a call last week and was accepted as well. Would you be able to offer suggestions on locations to look for housing? I have a dog and it seemed like options were somewhat tight in the Hershey area. Should I extend my search to Hummelstown? I am completely unfamiliar with Pennsylvania in general. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, SARCorpsman88 said:

Congratulations! I got a call last week and was accepted as well. Would you be able to offer suggestions on locations to look for housing? I have a dog and it seemed like options were somewhat tight in the Hershey area. Should I extend my search to Hummelstown? I am completely unfamiliar with Pennsylvania in general. Thanks in advance!

I am also local to the area.  Yes, extend your search to Hummelstown or Palmyra.  Both are within a 10 minute drive and rent will be cheaper.

Congrats to all those receiving acceptances!

- Sue

I also received a call last week with my acceptance! This program is truly amazing and all of the staff members are wonderful - I was blown away during the interview. Good luck to everyone else still applying and interviewing!! I look forward to meeting the rest of the class!

@kls72 and @SARCorpsman88 congrats on the acceptances! I can't wait to meet everyone!

If anyone is looking for housing, I live in an apartment complex a little west of Harrisburg, just over the river. The apartment complex I am staying in right now is in a small quiet neighborhood. It is about a 25 min drive to campus, but they do allow pets. PM me if you want more info. I am not sure what they have available but it couldn't hurt to find out if you're interested.

On 10/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, SARCorpsman88 said:

Awesome, I'm happy to hear that! Congratulations. There are quite a few places around this area. I moved here last year from Iowa, so I know the area good enough haha. In Hershey, about 1 mile east of campus is a place called Rosedale Apartments. I lived there last year, it was a great place to live, and they're pet friendly. Rosedale has rather efficient apartments, my energy/gas bills were super cheap ($30-50/month). Another place is Madison Hershey Heights in Hershey/Hummelstown, also pet friendly. If you absolutely despise traffic like I do, I'd suggest not going too far west toward Harrisburg. I now live in Palmyra, PA (ten minutes east of Hershey) in a community called Stonebrook at Northside Crossing. Feel free to private message for more details. 

P.S. - Are you a Navy Corpsman? I was active duty in the Marines.

19 hours ago, bstaten said:

Awesome, I'm happy to hear that! Congratulations. There are quite a few places around this area. I moved here last year from Iowa, so I know the area good enough haha. In Hershey, about 1 mile east of campus is a place called Rosedale Apartments. I lived there last year, it was a great place to live, and they're pet friendly. Rosedale has rather efficient apartments, my energy/gas bills were super cheap ($30-50/month). A nearby complex called "Briarcrest" charges roughly the same price for rent, but a friend of mine paid ~$300/month in energy just for heating in the winter! Another place is Madison Hershey Heights in Hershey/Hummelstown, also pet friendly. If you absolutely despise traffic like I do, I'd suggest not going too far west toward Harrisburg. I now live in Palmyra, PA (ten minutes east of Hershey) in a community called Stonebrook at Northside Crossing. Feel free to private message for more details. 

P.S. - Are you a Navy Corpsman? I was active duty in the Marines for 4 years.

Hey no kidding, I'd be moving from Iowa too haha. Thanks for the info, man! This is really helpful. I hate traffic too so I'd definitely be looking at closer locations away from Harrisburg.

I was a Navy Corpsman, never went "greenside" though. They didn't have any SAR billets with the Marines but I've got a few Marine buddies and I definitely respect what you do!

31 minutes ago, SARCorpsman88 said:

Hey no kidding, I'd be moving from Iowa too haha. Thanks for the info, man! This is really helpful. I hate traffic too so I'd definitely be looking at closer locations away from Harrisburg.

I was a Navy Corpsman, never went "greenside" though. They didn't have any SAR billets with the Marines but I've got a few Marine buddies and I definitely respect what you do!

Wow, where in Iowa? I grew up in Webster City. Yes, staying in Hershey/Hummelstown/Palmyra area would be a good choice for you then. If you have any other questions or need help with the move/moving in let me know!

I have the utmost respect for corpsmen! 

On 10/8/2017 at 9:39 PM, spring700 said:

Is anyone planning on living on campus, or know what the facilities are like?

I live off campus nearby, however a friend of mine in graduate school here lives in the on-campus housing in a 2-bedroom apt. They're pretty nice! In-unit laundry, good wi-fi, and right across from school. No garage, but you do have a reserved parking space(s). Hope this helped!

On 10/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, bstaten said:

I live off campus nearby, however a friend of mine in graduate school here lives in the on-campus housing in a 2-bedroom apt. They're pretty nice! In-unit laundry, good wi-fi, and right across from school. No garage, but you do have a reserved parking space(s). Hope this helped!

Thank you!

On 10/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, SARCorpsman88 said:

I am also local to the area.  Yes, extend your search to Hummelstown or Palmyra.  Both are within a 10 minute drive and rent will be cheaper.

Congrats to all those receiving acceptances!

- Sue

Hi everyone!

I received a few questions about how to ‘stand out’ during interview day and also what is unique about the PSU interview process.

Regarding setting yourself apart from other candidates...if you are selected for an interview than you have already accomplished this!  Keep in mind that only about 110 candidates (or approximately 3% of applicants) are interviewed each cycle.  So, if you are invited to interview, the admissions team already thinks you’re unique!  Interview day is all about seeing if you are a good fit for the program AND FOR YOU TO SEE IF THE PROGRAM IS A GOOD FIT FOR YOU!!

With that said, our interview process is also unique in several ways.  First, interviews are conducted in small groups- usually no more than about 8 or so.  The faculty interviewers will already know a lot about you from your applications so, while you should know your application inside and out, also be prepared to speak to things about yourself not already asked.  

Another unique aspect is our patient interview.  Although the patient you will meet with is usually an actual patient of our faculty (who continue to actively practice clinical medicine) medical knowledge is not needed for this component of the day.  It is simply an assessment of your people skills (those critical skills in medicine that no textbook or lecture can teach) and usually is every candidate’s favorite part of the interview.

Last, many interview days include participation in a TBL (team based learning) session.  Again, this is nothing for which you can prepare and is not a part of the interview that is evaluated.  This is really where you, the candidate, can get a sense of our Program’s learning and teaching style as well as ask more questions of current students.

Thanks for the great questions!! Again, feel free to post questions to the forum or message me privately.  For questions sent to me privately, I will respond publicly for the benefit of all but will honor individual privacy.

Also, for those near, or relatively near, the Hershey area this Tuesday (10/17), the Program is hosting an information session at the College of Medicine.  Members of our faculty, as well as current students and alums, will be there to provide details and answer your questions.

Hope this helps!!

- Sue, PA-C, Class of 2017

• 2 weeks later...

The final deadline for application submission is January, but the application cycle has long been open and quite a few people accepted for seats already. Anyone want to share insights/opinions on whether it is still worth applying at this late date? Is there still a realistic chance of an interview? Thank you.

28 minutes ago, WonderWall said:

The final deadline for application submission is January, but the application cycle has long been open and quite a few people accepted for seats already. Anyone want to share insights/opinions on whether it is still worth applying at this late date? Is there still a realistic chance of an interview? Thank you.

I hope they are still considering applications! I just submitted my secondary supplemental last night. I also graduated from Penn State undergrad. Is there anyone else applying who went to Penn State? 

2 hours ago, WonderWall said:

Hi everyone - Penn State's Director of Admissions here...

I can assure everyone who is still in the process or planning to apply that we happily accept and review applications through our deadlines in January. We host many Candidate Interview Days between August 2017 and February 2018, so you are most welcome to submit knowing that at Penn State we will not fill its class to capacity in advance of our deadlines and that your file will be reviewed fully by Penn State. You MUST submit your FREE secondary application for this to happen-->>and the secondary application will only be sent to you when we receive your verified-CASPA application. 

As of this morning, are only about 1/3 full and that's with interviewing since early August. I understand it is a long process for you as applicants but it is a very intentional and deliberate file review and interview process for us as faculty and staff as well. 

I hope this information has proven helpful to those who are still considering applying. 

Best wishes, 

Caryn Stopper
Penn State PA Program

Archived