On 8/18/2017 at 4:59 PM, reticentt said:

I got the call earlier today! Accepted! Interviewed a week ago on the 11th. I'm really excited about this program--the students and staff are phenomenal!

sGPA: 3.57
cGPA: 3.68
GRE: Verbal 157, Quant 159, Writing 4.5
Over 10,000 HCE (healthcare IT, clinical research) and almost 2,000 PCE (home health aide, EMT, andrologist technician)

Submitted: End of April
Verified: May 8
Secondary Received: June 13
Secondary Completed: July 3
Interview Request: July 13
Interview Date: Aug 11
Accepted: Aug 18

Congrats! I was one of the few with ya on the 11th. Anxiously waiting to hear back x.x

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/18/2017 at 1:59 PM, reticentt said:

I got the call earlier today! Accepted! Interviewed a week ago on the 11th. I'm really excited about this program--the students and staff are phenomenal!

sGPA: 3.57
cGPA: 3.68
GRE: Verbal 157, Quant 159, Writing 4.5
Over 10,000 HCE (healthcare IT, clinical research) and almost 2,000 PCE (home health aide, EMT, andrologist technician)

Submitted: End of April
Verified: May 8
Secondary Received: June 13
Secondary Completed: July 3
Interview Request: July 13
Interview Date: Aug 11
Accepted: Aug 18

Congrats!

I was there on 8/11 too. Biting my nails waiting on a response.

Just to clarify, did you receive a call? Or was it an email?

Hey @ST@PSU, at what point can we consider it unlikely that we will receive an interview offer? I submitted mid June, and received a receipt of secondary email on June 23rd. So it's been about 2 months or so. I know "PSU interviews applicants until February so you never know!", but I was hoping to get a more specific answer if possible?

I'm thinking if I don't hear anything by this time in September, it's a done deal lol.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, LeQuack said:

Hey @ST@PSU, at what point can we consider it unlikely that we will receive an interview offer? I submitted mid June, and received a receipt of secondary email on June 23rd. So it's been about 2 months or so. I know "PSU interviews applicants until February so you never know!", but I was hoping to get a more specific answer if possible?

I'm thinking if I don't hear anything by this time in September, it's a done deal lol.

Hi,

Once you have submitted your complete secondary application, you remain an active candidate throughout the entire cycle (or until you are declined  admission).  However, in my personal experience, and the experience of my classmates, we were offered interviews within a few weeks of submitting our secondary.

Also, if you have not already done so, I encourage everyone to read through the threads from the last few admission cycles.  Among other questions they may answer, it will provide a good sense of the ebb and flow of our admission process.

All the best!!

- Sue

I am wondering if I would be a competitive applicant at Penn State. My science GPA is low but I have patient care experience and volunteer experience.

Stats

sgpa3.12

cgpa 3.42

HCE 3500 hours working as a nursing assistant and medication aide

56 hours shadowing PAs

2000 hours volunteering with undeserved communities (I did a service year with AmeriCorps)

fluent in Spanish

I appreciate any feedback :)

On 9/5/2017 at 9:55 AM, FuturePAStudent01 said:

I am wondering if I would be a competitive applicant at Penn State. My science GPA is low but I have patient care experience and volunteer experience.

Stats

sgpa3.12

cgpa 3.42

HCE 3500 hours working as a nursing assistant and medication aide

56 hours shadowing PAs

2000 hours volunteering with undeserved communities (I did a service year with AmeriCorps)

fluent in Spanish

I appreciate any feedback :)

To evaluate whether you are a competitive applicant, I encourage you to check out our entering class profiles:

http://med.psu.edu/physician-assistant/class-profiles

Thank you for your interest in Penn State!

8 hours ago, SARCorpsman88 said:

Hello everyone. I hope everyone's finding success so far this cycle.

I was wondering if any of the alums had experience or had classmates that completed their undergraduate studies in May and dealt with the quick turnaround to start the Penn State program the same month?

Hello,

Several (2-3?) in my class graduated from their undergrad programs within a few weeks (and, in at least one person's case, just a day before) of starting our program.  Another classmate completed her first master's degree the weekend before we started.  So it is definitely doable!!

Speaking for myself, I was a waitlisted candidate and was working full time prior to getting accepted just 3 days before the first day.  So I also had a short (rather, no) turn around time.

While I would recommend taking a bit of time off from either school or work before starting PA school (to relax and get your life together in general), it's not something that will keep you from succeeding if that is not possible. On the contrary, sometimes the best thing is for an "object in motion to stay in motion"!  

Good Luck!

- Sue

17 hours ago, ST@PSU said:

Hello,

Several (2-3?) in my class graduated from their undergrad programs within a few weeks (and, in at least one person's case, just a day before) of starting our program.  Another classmate completed her first master's degree the weekend before we started.  So it is definitely doable!!

Speaking for myself, I was a waitlisted candidate and was working full time prior to getting accepted just 3 days before the first day.  So I also had a short (rather, no) turn around time.

While I would recommend taking a bit of time off from either school or work before starting PA school (to relax and get your life together in general), it's not something that will keep you from succeeding if that is not possible. On the contrary, sometimes the best thing is for an "object in motion to stay in motion"!  

Good Luck!

- Sue

Thank you so much for the reply! That is definitely reassuring to hear. I'm sure it would be a pretty hectic time but the program definitely looks worth the effort. I'll be heading to Hershey on September 21st for the Friday interview. Hope to see some of you there!

- Mike

14 hours ago, SARCorpsman88 said:

Thank you so much for the reply! That is definitely reassuring to hear. I'm sure it would be a pretty hectic time but the program definitely looks worth the effort. I'll be heading to Hershey on September 21st for the Friday interview. Hope to see some of you there!

- Mike

Awesome!!  Good Luck!!  I will likely not get to meet you as I am an alum; however, there will be lots of first year students to welcome you as well as hopefully a few second years.  Enjoy the day!!

On 9/9/2017 at 2:57 PM, SARCorpsman88 said:

Hello everyone. I hope everyone's finding success so far this cycle.

I was wondering if any of the alums had experience or had classmates that completed their undergraduate studies in May and dealt with the quick turnaround to start the Penn State program the same month?

sorry to hear that, did you hear back via mail or e-mail?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jmjones said:

Hi there,

I just got offered an interview for Oct 6th! I'm so excited and also nervous.

Just a random question, but how many candidates are interviewed for each cycle, and what percentage of candidates that are interviewed are accepted? 

Thanks!

Congrats on the interview! Do you mind sharing your stats? And the class statistics page on their website usually breaks down total applicants, total interviewed and total accepted. Good luck! 

4 hours ago, jmjones said:

Hi there,

I just got offered an interview for Oct 6th! I'm so excited and also nervous.

Just a random question, but how many candidates are interviewed for each cycle, and what percentage of candidates that are interviewed are accepted? 

Thanks!

Congratulations on your interview invite! I interviewed a few weeks ago, its an incredible school. Don't be nervous, everybody is really easy going and want to get to know you better.  Here's a link for the question you asked :) http://med.psu.edu/physician-assistant/class-profiles 

On 9/26/2017 at 5:49 PM, PAtobe33 said:

Congrats on the interview! Do you mind sharing your stats? And the class statistics page on their website usually breaks down total applicants, total interviewed and total accepted. Good luck! 

sGPA 3.7

cGPA 3.74

GRE: Math 155, Quantitate, 159, Writing 4.5

PCH: roughly 2,000 as a Clinical Research Assistant

40 PA shadow hours

and about 150 volunteer hours with abroad in Indonesia and with the Red Cross

I submitted my application on 6/19 and it was verified 6/23

Hope the helps!

Archived