2 minutes ago, rachric23 said:

Congrats!!! Did you get an email? I've been checking mine nonstop the past week or so after they said in the info session they start contacting in July haha 

Not the same person but I also was notified of an interview offer for August 4th through an email. I have my phone set up to automatically fetch emails and display on my lock screen so I don't keep going through my phone and emails every 15 min lol

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping someone could help clarify some of the details of the interview:

• I am not sure what the email meant by a volunteer (not standardized patient or paid actor) patient interview. 
  • Is there any way to prepare for the timed writing sample?
  • I am also curious to know more about the team-based learning class and how that runs.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing everyone at Penn State!

On 7/14/2017 at 11:50 AM, Serenityslain said:

I was hoping someone could help clarify some of the details of the interview:

• I am not sure what the email meant by a volunteer (not standardized patient or paid actor) patient interview. 
  • Is there any way to prepare for the timed writing sample?
  • I am also curious to know more about the team-based learning class and how that runs.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing everyone at Penn State!

Volunteer patient - This is usually one of the patients that one of the faculty members cares for. They don't receive any information about you, they just have a conversation with you. The idea behind it is to see if an actual patient would want you to be their provider. 

I'm not sure that there's any way to prepare for the timed writing sample. It's pretty similar to what you might have done for the GRE, just more focused on healthcare and patient care. 

TBL is fun - the class is broken up into 5 groups of 6 members (with diversity in background and experience) - you take a test individually, you take the same test as a group, and then you solve patient cases together in your group. You're in the same group the entirety of didactic year. 

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, pchop said:

Volunteer patient - This is usually one of the patients that one of the faculty members cares for. They don't receive any information about you, they just have a conversation with you. The idea behind it is to see if an actual patient would want you to be their provider. 

I'm not sure that there's any way to prepare for the timed writing sample. It's pretty similar to what you might have done for the GRE, just more focused on healthcare and patient care. 

TBL is fun - the class is broken up into 5 groups of 6 members (with diversity in background and experience) - you take a test individually, you take the same test as a group, and then you solve patient cases together in your group. You're in the same group the entirety of didactic year. 

Hope this helps.

The patient interview actually sounds like a brilliant idea! I'm weirdly excited about this now lol

The TBL seems like a great way to break up the day-to-day lectures of didactic year. Thanks for the info!

Looking through Penn State's website I found an article about the team-based learning class that the program offers. Here's the link for those interested:

https://pennstatemedicine.org/2017/05/10/team-based-learning-sets-college-of-medicine-physician-assistant-program-apart/

It sounds fantastic and I can't wait to get a glimpse of the class in action!

3 hours ago, Serenityslain said:

Looking through Penn State's website I found an article about the team-based learning class that the program offers. Here's the link for those interested:

https://pennstatemedicine.org/2017/05/10/team-based-learning-sets-college-of-medicine-physician-assistant-program-apart/

It sounds fantastic and I can't wait to get a glimpse of the class in action!

Thanks for posting!! Although sorry you had to find it on your own. I was actually just about to post it myself but you beat me to it!!  Hope everyone finds it helpful. However, the program won't be expecting you to understand TBL or know a lot about it at the interview and you will learn about it then.  And, yes, depending on the current first years' schedule on your interview day, you may get to observe and participate in a TBL session.  Again, best to all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I was a later applicant to Penn State's PA program; I only completed my secondary application a few weeks ago. I'm wondering when the next round of interview dates are, and when I could expect to hear about an interview if I'm offered one. Thanks!

11 hours ago, jlk314 said:

Hello! I was a later applicant to Penn State's PA program; I only completed my secondary application a few weeks ago. I'm wondering when the next round of interview dates are, and when I could expect to hear about an interview if I'm offered one. Thanks!

You are DEFINITELY not too late!!! Penn State honors its application deadline (which is typically sometime in mid-January) and will keep seats available through that time.

In other words, all applicants invited for an interview- whether it's in August or February- are interviewing for an open spot in the program and not just the waitlist.  Also, throughout the interview cycle (typically August through February), interviewed applicants may be accepted, declined, or waitlisted.  Of course, the earlier you apply the better because more seats will be available.  However, even someone who completes the application process on the deadline date has a chance of being invited to interview for an open seat.

Hope this helps!  Best of luck!

- Sue

5 hours ago, GoFlacco said:

Hi all! I was offered an interview on the 11th! I was wondering for those who were at the August 4th interview, what was it like? How did you prepare for it? Any tips for us future interviewees? 

Congrats on the interview invite!  Safe travels to Hershey next week and enjoy your day on campus. Be yourself and you will do great!  Only approximately 3% of all applicants who apply to our program during an admission cycle get an interview so go in with the confidence of knowing they already like you!

And, just curious....Baltimore Ravens fan? ?  

22 hours ago, GoFlacco said:

Hi all! I was offered an interview on the 11th! I was wondering for those who were at the August 4th interview, what was it like? How did you prepare for it? Any tips for us future interviewees? 

The interview seems like a lot, but the time goes by very quickly. They get the interviews and writing samples out of the way in the morning which is nice. You don't have to be nervous for the entire day. The faculty were fantastic and seemed to have very thoroughly gone over each application. They were so friendly and were genuinely happy to have you there, especially the program director herself. The interviews weren't as stressful and as interrogative as other programs. It seemed like they really just wanted to get to know you and see the kind of person you are.

After the interview, we had a group presentation about the program and financial aid with the director of admissions and the program director. After that we were given lunch with a few students from the current first year class and a student from the second year class. After lunch it was a tour of the college and the hospital. At the end of the day we got to sit in at a TBL class with a group of current students. By far my favorite part of the day!

I prepared for my interview my brushing up on my application and going through online interview questions not just to prepare for individual questions, but to figure out what I can bring to the program, my advantages, and just figure out the kind of person I am. There are some questions you wouldn't have expected. I say if you remain calm and have fun with it, you will do well. 

My advice would definitely follow ST@PSU. Be yourself. They have read your application. They know you can succeed in the program. They want to know more about you and what you're like as a person. You're not just gonna be reading texts and going to lectures your entire career, you will also be working with people. They want to know if you can genuinely interact with another person (which is probably why they have the patient interview as well). Ask questions as well! Get to know the program and the area as well as you can. Hope this helps!

On 8/5/2017 at 4:59 PM, GoFlacco said:

I agree with some of the above postings.  Everyone I met all day was great.  Relax, be yourself, and you'll be fine! :) 

On 8/5/2017 at 10:10 PM, ST@PSU said:

Congrats on the interview invite!  Safe travels to Hershey next week and enjoy your day on campus. Be yourself and you will do great!  Only approximately 3% of all applicants who apply to our program during an admission cycle get an interview so go in with the confidence of knowing they already like you!

And, just curious....Baltimore Ravens fan? ?  

YES! Go Flacco :) And thank you for your response. I'm incredibly nervous but so excited at the same time. Can't wait!!!

On 8/13/2017 at 1:50 PM, SDL021 said:

Hi Everyone!

I received an invite for an interview on August 18th and am extremely excited to attend - anyone else interviewing that day?  

And for those of you who interviewed already, how was the process?

Hey congrats! As mentioned above, I interviewed on the 11th and it was really an amazing experience. The committee consists of incredible people and you'll be convinced that it's an amazing program to be a part of. The interview process was seamless and wasn't anything to be afraid of. Just have a great time and be yourself! They want you, for who you are! 

I got the call earlier today! Accepted! Interviewed a week ago on the 11th. I'm really excited about this program--the students and staff are phenomenal!

sGPA: 3.57
cGPA: 3.68
GRE: Verbal 157, Quant 159, Writing 4.5
Over 10,000 HCE (healthcare IT, clinical research) and almost 2,000 PCE (home health aide, EMT, andrologist technician)

Submitted: End of April
Verified: May 8
Secondary Received: June 13
Secondary Completed: July 3
Interview Request: July 13
Interview Date: Aug 11
Accepted: Aug 18

@reticentt congrats on the acceptance! I was also accepted from the August 4th interview. I can't wait to meet everyone in the class! My stats for those who are wondering:

sGPA: 3.48
cGPA: 3.69
GRE: Verbal 161, Quant 160, Writing 5.0

Bachelors in Anthropology, minor in Italian
1,440 HCE (EMT 911 and IFT) 

Submitted: Mid-May
Secondary Completed: July 7
Interview Request: July 13
Interview Date: Aug 4
Accepted: Aug 11

I live in the Harrisburg/Hershey area so if anyone is going to be around or has any questions feel free to message me!

Archived