Dog while in PA School?

Im a first time applicant this year but I'm wondering how feasible it would be to bring my dog with me if I get accepted. I would plan on living in an apartment and hopefully find roommates who are also in PA school.

I have a 4lb toy poodle so he's pretty easy to manage.

Do any of you have experience with pets while going through PA school? Or should I have him stay with my parents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator

Everyone needs emotional support during PA school, but in many ways having another living being depending on your unpredictable schedule and long hours isn't really fair to them.  A significant other can understand why you're gone long and come home tired; kids and pets, not so much.

I have two cute Yorkies, unfortunately I'll be leaving them home because I won't be able to give them the attention they deserve (pee breaks etc) after 8 to 12 hour days plus long study hours. Get a doggy door to protect them from leaving /escaping either with room mates or at your parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried.  Couldn't do it.  Even with a dog walker and attempting to study at home after classes, it just wasn't enough attention for my pup.  If yours need less attention then you might be able to do it but it didn't work for me.  I also personally caution against the notion that having roommates will ease the burden - it's your dog, they are not required to help and certainly shouldn't feel obligated to sacrifice their time.  The people who I've seen it work with were those who were married/lived with SOs because the dog was actually a shared responsibility entered into willingly.

It's been super hard not having her with me but in the end it really is the best option for both her and me (she's living the life with my parents and getting so much more attention than if she were with me these 2 years).

I always tell myself (and my parents) I'm no good to either of us if I have her here and my school work suffers and compromise my ability to do well in school/get a good job.

my dog is great emotional support and I dont think I could do it without her happy self greeting me when i get home. 

whether you can handle it depends on your situation and time management. I have a dog who is ok without exercise every day. That said, she also runs with me so I can exercise and get her exercise at the same time. I also live close to school so I am able to come home at lunch and walk her. A lot of people in my class have their dogs and its fine.

Dont let people scare you into thinking PA school will take away your entire life. It is hard but if you can manage your time and stay on top of class you can still exercise/cook/watch tv like a normal person. You just have to be able to squeeze it in where you can!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with student 123456. Tons of people will tell you things like, "Now that I'm in PA school I have time for NOTHING. I even feel guilty for conditioning my hair in the shower," but after the first couple weeks subside and you realize you don't have to be a robot, you definitely have time for things you enjoy if you manage your time well.

TONS of people in my class have their dog with them, like almost half. The other half = cats. Some have help from a significant other and others don't. You can always test out the waters too. I had a classmate not bring her dog, but after the first semester she took him from her parents' home to live with her :)

Archived