2017-2018 Application Cycle

Just now, BB3451 said:

I didn't even know there was a portal for Drexel... or were you just given that information in this email? Sorry about the rejection... that just means you're meant to end up elsewhere! best of luck :)

The first time i saw anything about the portal was in the email they just sent me so I don't think you are supposed to do anything with it until they have an admissions decision for you. And thanks! This was my first rejection so I'm holding on to hope for my other schools!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rejected 

An admission decision has been rendered on your file. From here, Discover Drexel will be your key to the admission process. Use it to ask questions, check your application status, and receive your admission decision. To access Discover Drexel, you must activate your account and create a password.

To activate your account, go to http://admissions.drexel.edu/account/reset and enter your email address and date of birth. Once we've received this information, we will send you an email with the subject, "Drexel University Online Registration." This message will contain a link to Discover Drexel and a temporary PIN that you can use to activate your account.

Once you've created a new password, log in to Discover Drexel at http://discover.drexel.edu using your email address and this new password.

Sincerely,

Evelyn K. Thimba
Vice President & Dean of Admissions

P.S. If you have any questions, please call 215.895.2400 or use the Application Inquiry Form in Discover Drexel.

Thank you for applying to Drexel University. After careful consideration of your application, the Admissions Committee has determined that we are unable to offer you admission.

Admission is highly competitive, and we received a large number of qualified applications. This year's selection of candidates represents our best judgment and an effort to be as fair as possible to all applicants while maintaining the standard of quality set by the University. If you have any questions regarding this decision, please feel free to contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at 1.800.2.DREXEL or enroll@drexel.edu.

Thank you for your interest in Drexel University.

I am wondering if these all came at the same time/ you were all verified on the same day? I was verified 6/15 and haven't heard anything yet but am checking my email every few minutes... Sorry about the rejections, know that it's early in the process and there is still opportunity for each of you to get into somewhere that you love! :)

I know rejection sucks. I was rejected twice by medical schools in the past before giving up and eventually discovering my path to the PA profession. Even after I was accepted to Drexel, I was rejected by other programs as well. It's all part of the game. Just keep throwing those darts and eventually you'll get a bullseye! I highly suggest contacting the admissions director and ask for any advice that they might have to strengthen your application or any suggestions from the interview, that way you can be better prepared for future interviews. 

Drexel doesn't have any permanent "affiliations" aside from Hahnemann as far as I know,  however we do have other sites at hospitals that are consistently offered each year, although my understanding is also that our site options can change yearly depending on the number of schools in the area, how many students the sites want to take, how prior students felt about the sites etc.  A few specific examples of hospitals with sites that we had the opportunity to rank this year were Hahnemann, Lourdes, St. Christopher's, CHOP, the VA, Lankenau  in addition to a bunch of other hospital sites on the east coast and all around the country, and there are many smaller private practices and community health clinics where we have the opportunity to rotate.  Our professors do a great job of finding sites where we will be given the opportunity to actually do a lot and learn. However, just because we might have one site at a specific hospital for emergency medicine for example, it does not mean that we also have a surgery site at that same place. One thing that is nice is that we have the opportunity to set up our own rotations if we want to. While this takes more  effort and time, it has been really great for people who are not from the area who may want to live near their family/friends during a rotation. 

8 hours ago, porksoupdumpling5 said:

Hi, I am another first year at Drexel. I'm willing to answer any questions you may have about admissions, what school is like, Philadelphia etc. I know there is another user from our class on here, but if you want a different perspective, let me know! Good luck to everyone waiting! 

Hi there! Thank you so much for coming on here to answer our questions. Why did you choose Drexel? What is school like? I love that the PA students participate in an annual olympics with the neighboring Philadelphia programs to raise money for a charity! What other kinds of leadership/community service opportunities are there? Lastly, what do you like/dislike about Philadelphia? Sorry for asking so many questions! I am just so excited about this school and the program it has to offer, but I am also trying to not get my hopes up. 

Hi! No problem, I wish I had known about this site before I started! I'll divide up the questions and answer them that way!

Why did you choose Drexel?

I chose Drexel because it has a great national reputation, but especially along the east coast. I had a great interview day and felt that I would be able to effectively learn while still being able to enjoy Philadelphia which is one of my favorite cities. It also helped that there are about a million hospitals in Philadelphia and the immediate surrounding areas, and many of these hospitals are known nationally. I figured that whatever I wanted to go into, most likely I would be able to find a job at a great hospital, and even more so because Drexel is so well known for producing great PAs. 

What is school like?

I won't life, school is VERY busy. We go through a ton of information in a very short period of time. At orientation, they describe it as drinking water out of a fire hydrant, and they are not lying. It is stressful, and overwhelming at times....but I continue to surprise myself at the amount of information I can retain. We get a lot of time in the hospital, and I think I will be very prepared before clinicals (or as much as you can be after 1 year of classes). The key to success in this program is being proactive, attempting to be productive every day and remembering to have fun. 

PA Olympics: 

SO MUCH FUN! We raised over 20,000 total for our charity last year, and Drexel won last year for the 2nd year in a row. We met a ton of wonderful people from other PA schools in the area, and had a great time at the event. We have plenty of opportunities to do volunteer work, there is a point person on the board who schedules much of it, but people volunteer according to their availability and schedule. 

Leadership Opportunities

We have the board for the class which people are nominated for by classmates and the class later votes on. There are also other state/national representatives for PA organizations the AAPA. However, even if you don't decide to take this route, if you find something that sparks your interest and other people are interested, run with it. Your free time can be dedicated to anything you choose, and you don't need to be in a Drexel affiliated position to be a leader in the community, plenty of people do charity/volunteer work outside of our program. 

Philadelphia:

I am biased because I grew up outside of the city, but I have lived in a bunch of cities through the years and can safely say it is up there in terms of my favorite. It is a great size-- big enough that there is always something fun going on, and small enough that I don't feel overwhelmed getting places and it doesn't take forever. It is super walkable- I walk everywhere... literally. From one end to the other takes about an hour (South street bridge to Penns landing). There are some amazing restaurants, good shopping, great bars and dance clubs, intramural sports leagues, and a lot of people who are young professionals living here.I think the Center City area is safe (or as safe as a city can possibly be) and I feel comfortable walking home at night by myself, although there are definitely parts outside of the central portion that I would be more careful in. I can't really think of the worst part because I really like it here, but again I'm biased. 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your response! Thank you for all the great info. Drexel undoubtedly has an excellent PA program. That combined with a great location, student body, supportive faculty and some wiggle room for volunteering/extracurricular activities definitely seems like a great fit for me! 

Is it true that patient interaction is also integrated into the first year? If so, I think that is a huge advantage! Also, are there some delicious pork soup dumplings (xiao long bao) in the area? Not trying to poke fun at your username whatsoever. I'm just genuinely curious because I'm a huge foodie and I heard Philadelphia has some great Asian cuisine. 

I am applying from WI! However I was born in Philly and have a ton of family there. I visit very often; it is such an awesome place. A weekend trip to the shore is only about 2 hours away, too! Sometimes even closer. I love Drexel so much - it's definitely my #1 school. Unfortunately I have yet to hear anything back, but coming right out of undergraduate statistics seem to show my odds are not as favorable. Good luck to everyone! 

On 7/22/2017 at 10:18 PM, whoishu said:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your response! Thank you for all the great info. Drexel undoubtedly has an excellent PA program. That combined with a great location, student body, supportive faculty and some wiggle room for volunteering/extracurricular activities definitely seems like a great fit for me! 

Is it true that patient interaction is also integrated into the first year? If so, I think that is a huge advantage! Also, are there some delicious pork soup dumplings (xiao long bao) in the area? Not trying to poke fun at your username whatsoever. I'm just genuinely curious because I'm a huge foodie and I heard Philadelphia has some great Asian cuisine. 

Yes! Within the first week of school you will be in the hospital talking to patients getting histories and begin physical exams at the beginning of the first quarter too. We were told that we would be great at taking histories and doing physicals by the end of school, and our professors were very right. I now can rattle off and elicit a very thorough history and complete a physical exam now without even thinking about it, even though it was very intimidating at the beginning.  This is so important now that we are heading into clinical rotations. It is definitely a huge advantage. 

And, yes, our school is actually right next to the Chinatown section of the city, which has some fantastic restaurants :)

Hey all, 

Recently applied, Drexel received my app a few days ago and sent their generic first email.

From what I've read there's an interview in August. Does anyone know if they'll have more and any idea how many people were accepted?

Thanks.

Archived