Univeristy of Kentucky 2017-2018 Cycle

On 7/28/2017 at 10:24 AM, ashkh1 said:

Good luck to you too! Do you know how many people will be at each interview session?

I'm not entirely sure. I think where we are pipeline applicants, there will be a fewer number of us on the interview date. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Giff4 said:

I'm not entirely sure. I think where we are pipeline applicants, there will be a fewer number of us on the interview date. 

Would you care to say what that is exactly? I know August 4th isn't really a date they had originally set so I was pretty confused that they are interviewing then. I still havent received anything so I'm not sure if I should email Julia haha

1 hour ago, BFC74 said:

Would you care to say what that is exactly? I know August 4th isn't really a date they had originally set so I was pretty confused that they are interviewing then. I still havent received anything so I'm not sure if I should email Julia haha

The pipeline program is a new program they have started for Morehead campus applicants only. If you know much about Morehead and the surrounding areas it is a region that is medically undeserved with a lot of sick people. The idea of the program is to find applicants from the area who desire to become primary care PA's and provide service to the region. It's a program designed for students in the surrounding service regions and medically undeserved areas of KY. To qualify for this program there was a list of requirements to show rigor of academics, dedication to the undeserved, and leadership. Some of the requirements include being from one of the service counties listed, attending MSU as a Biomedical Sciences Pre-PA major, matching or exceeding the previous class' GPA, having a certain amount of patient care experience and shadowing hours, and a few other requirements. It's an awesome idea to try to help with our areas current issues.  

1 hour ago, Giff4 said:

The pipeline program is a new program they have started for Morehead campus applicants only. If you know much about Morehead and the surrounding areas it is a region that is medically undeserved with a lot of sick people. The idea of the program is to find applicants from the area who desire to become primary care PA's and provide service to the region. It's a program designed for students in the surrounding service regions and medically undeserved areas of KY. To qualify for this program there was a list of requirements to show rigor of academics, dedication to the undeserved, and leadership. Some of the requirements include being from one of the service counties listed, attending MSU as a Biomedical Sciences Pre-PA major, matching or exceeding the previous class' GPA, having a certain amount of patient care experience and shadowing hours, and a few other requirements. It's an awesome idea to try to help with our areas current issues.  

That's pretty cool. Yeah I'm only about 30-40 minutes away from Morehead myself so I'm pretty familiar with how underserved EKY is. I applied to Lexington however since I did my undergrad at UK, so just a more familiar area ya know. I had a hard time deciding which one to apply to since Morehead is closer to me. My county is partially underserved, and it's always been my goal to practice in KY as a PA. Well I sure hope you get an offer, good luck to you!

6 hours ago, BFC74 said:

That's pretty cool. Yeah I'm only about 30-40 minutes away from Morehead myself so I'm pretty familiar with how underserved EKY is. I applied to Lexington however since I did my undergrad at UK, so just a more familiar area ya know. I had a hard time deciding which one to apply to since Morehead is closer to me. My county is partially underserved, and it's always been my goal to practice in KY as a PA. Well I sure hope you get an offer, good luck to you!

That's awesome I bet it was a difficult decision. In the end though you have to go with whatever feels like home and where you will be the happiest, both are UK, and both are excellent. I have the same goal as well. Hopefully we will see each other at the start in January. Thank you so much I wish you the best as well! 

Has anyone gotten a response from Julia after sending an email to accept the interview invitation to verify that she received it?

I was just curious because I emailed her that I planned to attend last week and haven't heard back about her getting my email! Just want to make sure I am good to go come interview time! 

6 hours ago, bchemnerd said:

Has anyone gotten a response from Julia after sending an email to accept the interview invitation to verify that she received it?

I was just curious because I emailed her that I planned to attend last week and haven't heard back about her getting my email! Just want to make sure I am good to go come interview time! 

I received an email back from her shortly after. I would email again in a few days if you haven't heard anything, just to verify.

Just received my rejection e-mail. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they were still waiting to hear something, they will let you know one way or the other.

Here are my stats if it would be helpful:

Cum GPA: 3.9

Key/Science GPA: 3.9

PCE: around 1000 at the time of submission as a CNA in a nursing home for a little bit, but most in a hospice facility, would have been about 1700 at the time of program start.

Volunteer: 30-40 hours in the ER and some random stuff at a local wine festival

Shadowing: 140ish hours of shadowing PA's in surgery, occupational medicine, and family medicine 

My guess is that my PCE was too low (the average is usually around 3000), some more consistent volunteer stuff would have likely helped as well. They will be having a counseling session where they will go over the stats of the accepted class for you to use to review your own application, do not email and ask for feedback because they won't do that on an individual basis in order to keep things fair.

Pretty bummed of course, this was my top choice since I did undergrad here, but things work out the way they do for a reason.

Good luck to all those who received interviews and I wish the best for all of you! 

Finally received a rejection email. I am honestly not surprised as me PC hours were very low compared to the average. Seeing some of the other stats of rejection, I'm wondering if I'll ever get in without 10k hours!

Best of luck to those that got interviews!

A power point of the counseling session goes out in an email to all the applicants (at least it did last year) for anyone who is curious about that averages and all that of the current applicants. Also worth noting to remember that your application does not matter at some programs once you made it to the interview session. It is extremely difficult, but you have to figure out how to make yourself stand out from what is different about you because in the interview, we are all the same until you give them a reason to think otherwise. And trust me, this is hard to say as a third year applicant. I've been struggling for a while now.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:10 PM, Hopefulone said:

How does everyone feel their interview went?  Did you leave with a gut feeling of success or fail.... or no readable insight?   What were your most challenging questions to answer?  Best wishes to all.   Every single person interviewed is deserving. 

I had a gut feeling that it went very well. I was so impressed by the warm welcome and attention the faculty/staff gave each student. So glad we'll all find out this week!!

Archived