Virginia: EVMS CASPA Cycle for Class of 2021

9 hours ago, MoreCowbell said:

Long time listener. First time caller.

My CASPA was e-submitted and verified for EVMS on 11/11/17. My EVMS supplemental application was submitted on 2/27/18 with application confirmed completed on 3/12.

GPA's: Overall- 3.34; Overall Science- 3.90; BCP Totals- 3.97

PCE's: Direct Patient- ~30,000 hours; Volunteer- ~750 hours; Shadowing- ~60 hours

Good luck, all!

Good luck! You have a ton of direct patient care hours!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MoreCowbell said:

My CASPA was e-submitted and verified for EVMS on 11/11/17. My EVMS supplemental application was submitted on 2/27/18 with application confirmed completed on 3/12.

PCE's: Direct Patient- ~30,000 hours; Volunteer- ~750 hours; Shadowing- ~60 hours

Good luck, all!

Looking good!! What is/was your career in healthcare? 

On 5/2/2018 at 10:49 AM, FuturePA2021 said:

Hi! Please provide any feedback that you can. Did you get an interview last cycle? How was it?

Hello! Last year I was not granted an interview, and I hounded the program as to why- I felt like I had all the credentials needed. I was a little above their average statistics reported on their website, and I even took a CLEP exam to pass their upper level psych requirement as requested. 

The program let me know it was an extremely competitive year, and with a few changes I would be in good positioning for an interview this year. I retook the only C+ I had, in Chemistry II, and received an A. The program reaaally doesn’t like to see Cs on transcripts. I also began shadowing at an ortho office to add some diversity into my shadowing hours. This has been my third CASPA application cycle, and each time I’ve learned new things to help improve my chances. There have been plenty of times where I’ve wanted to give up, but sometimes you have to give yourself a pep talk (after some awesome family and friend support) and remind yourself how much this will pay off. 

Be sure to stay in contact with program faculty, provide them with any updates or ask for advice- they make note of students who care. 

The irony of all of this is that i just received my first acceptance yesterday elsewhere, so if I get an interview in the next few weeks it’s going to be decision time! 

Best of luck to you all. Keep at it. 

Just a head's up from someone familiar with the process (a.k.a. the admissions office): invites will go out via e-mail first (the one included on your CASPA application).  Phone calls are typically utilized when filling in a few remaining slots.  Invites this cycle will likely go out the week of June 3.

1 hour ago, GCPAC said:

Just a head's up from someone familiar with the process (a.k.a. the admissions office): invites will go out via e-mail first (the one included on your CASPA application).  Phone calls are typically utilized when filling in a few remaining slots.  Invites this cycle will likely go out the week of June 3.

Thanks! 

On 5/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, FuturePA2021 said:

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have been told they don't like more than 2 Bs in the prereqs. Congrats on your acceptance! When would the other program start?

Thank you! Other program would begin in September.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:07 PM, SBLI said:

Hello! Last year I was not granted an interview, and I hounded the program as to why- I felt like I had all the credentials needed. I was a little above their average statistics reported on their website, and I even took a CLEP exam to pass their upper level psych requirement as requested. 

The program let me know it was an extremely competitive year, and with a few changes I would be in good positioning for an interview this year. I retook the only C+ I had, in Chemistry II, and received an A. The program reaaally doesn’t like to see Cs on transcripts. I also began shadowing at an ortho office to add some diversity into my shadowing hours. This has been my third CASPA application cycle, and each time I’ve learned new things to help improve my chances. There have been plenty of times where I’ve wanted to give up, but sometimes you have to give yourself a pep talk (after some awesome family and friend support) and remind yourself how much this will pay off. 

Be sure to stay in contact with program faculty, provide them with any updates or ask for advice- they make note of students who care. 

The irony of all of this is that i just received my first acceptance yesterday elsewhere, so if I get an interview in the next few weeks it’s going to be decision time! 

Best of luck to you all. Keep at it. 

Applying for following year with retakes in some prerequisites (4.0) and now a 3.85 in last 40 and 25k+ hours as a paramedic. Cumulative GPA per CASPA is 2.6ish. 

Based on your experiences, anything to boost chances or stand out? Seems like they will “forgive” poor cGPA if you show a strong trend in last 40 and good HCE and community service. Thoughts?

Applying for following year with retakes in some prerequisites (4.0) and now a 3.85 in last 40 and 25k+ hours as a paramedic. Cumulative GPA per CASPA is 2.6ish. 
Based on your experiences, anything to boost chances or stand out? Seems like they will “forgive” poor cGPA if you show a strong trend in last 40 and good HCE and community service. Thoughts?

I would say you’re definitely competitive. Just keep working on community experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, FuturePA2021 said:

I would say you’re definitely competitive. Just keep working on community experience.

Thank you. 

Always enjoy picking the brains of multiple applicants/matriculants. Helps know which way to go. 

Thanks again!

On 5/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, jmtam said:

Hey all! I'm currently a first year at EVMS! Just wanted to drop by and wish you all luck! I know the waiting process is agonizing... but please be patient! You guys will definitely hear back by the end of May/ early June for interviews in July. 

Relax, the hardest part was getting your application together and hitting submit. Interviews are a breeze, we all want to get to know YOU. 

Shout out to my Detroit peeps in the thread! 

Best wishes! 

-J

Thank you for the information! I'm coming from Detroit and got into school in Michigan, but have heard incredible things about this program and would love to be in this program!

2 hours ago, FuturePA2021 said:

I reached out to the admissions office. We most likely won’t hear anything until the week of June 4.

Thats great feedback, thank you!! Are you going to the info session 6/23? That has been my plan...just hope im going as a future interview holder?

3 hours ago, FuturePA2021 said:

No problem. I went to an info session last year before I applied.

Do you (or anyone) think attending these events helps in gaining an interview/acceptance?

I've read a few places that showing your interest in a program and meeting the potential admission committee members is a good way to stand out. 

I will be going to the info session on 6/23. Coming from Pittsburgh area so a nice 6+ hour drive. But I grew up in VA Beach so it will be a nice trip back home.

Do you (or anyone) think attending these events helps in gaining an interview/acceptance?
I've read a few places that showing your interest in a program and meeting the potential admission committee members is a good way to stand out. 
I will be going to the info session on 6/23. Coming from Pittsburgh area so a nice 6+ hour drive. But I grew up in VA Beach so it will be a nice trip back home.

Yes I would say it’s a great way to stand out. However, I think I heard somewhere that they would rather those that applied already to not attend the information sessions. I can’t remember where I heard that though...

10 minutes ago, FuturePA2021 said:

Yes I would say it’s a great way to stand out. However, I think I heard somewhere that they would rather those that applied already to not attend the information sessions. I can’t remember where I heard that though...

That’s good news considering I’m applying for 2022. But hey, we follow you great folks so get used to questions ??

Oh yeah, that's right! I would definitely go then to you get your name out there and to take a tour of the school.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:54 PM, MoreCowbell said:

Good luck, all!

Good luck! You have a ton of direct patient care hours!

Archived