Virginia: EVMS CASPA Cycle for Class of 2021

6 minutes ago, LolaCola said:

To everyone waiting to hear back, please don't feel down about yourself! I am a re-applicant and I remember that exact feeling of constantly checking the forum as people posted their interview invites while I waited to hear back, ultimately being rejected. Even if you don't get it this year, just keep pushing forward and working towards your goal. Eventually the hard work will pay off and you will look back and be thankful for how much you've grown during your journey. ❤️ 

What did do to strengthen your application?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Aneesah said:

What did do to strengthen your application?

They told me that I didn't make the cut for PCE hours compared to the rest of the candidate pool. So I continued to work time as an ED Technician and my hours increased from 2000 to 5000 hours. I also completed a paramedic degree and earned a 3.94 post-bacc GPA which consisted of 56 credits. 

EVMS Improvement Feedback.png

14 minutes ago, Aneesah said:

Anybody know how many waves of invites there are?

There were 3 last year! 

Congrats to those who got an interview today! To those still waiting, be patient! I had to wait as well! 

See you at interviews ? 

4 minutes ago, Aneesah said:

Nice! Great insight! Thanks for sharing. Community service hours...did you increase that as well?

You're welcome. I've read through the Admissions Guidelines many times so I'm glad to help! I increased my community service hours but not as much as I wanted due to working full-time and being a full-time student (last semester I took 19 credits). I just continued to help with community outreach at my fire station when I had free time. I already had a lot of volunteering hours under my belt from college so I think my consistency over the years helped to show it's something I truly love, not just a check-off for admission. 

I’m a reapplicant as well... had scribed in the ED, but needed more HC experience. Looking forward to interviewing on 7/13 at 12:45 (and hopefully meeting some of you guys)! Thinking of those of you who are still waiting... I remember that feeling well... not easy. Wishing you all the best!!

9 minutes ago, futurePA01 said:

Jaime,

That's currently my dilemma as well. I only have scribe hours and it seems EVMS counts scribe hours as healthcare experience and not patient care experience. I'm looking to apply to this program next cycle. What did you do to get more patient care experience?

I became a CNA, and have been doing that for more than a year now. Without a doubt, it’s a challenge if this is a career change and your past was not medical in nature. It’s been a long road for me, but I’ve known since my girls were young that this is the direction I wanted to head, so I’ve persevered. Best of luck!

Also received an invite to interview this afternoon. I'm already matriculating into a different program come August, so hopefully this opens up an interview spot for one of you! Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Hopefully that seat will be sent out to one of us soon! Good luck in your program :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a feel for what the "waves" indicate?  Is it simply a logistical approach where they send them in batches, or does being in the first wave indicate you are a stronger candidate?  I'm assuming the latter, but my optimist husband suggested it may be alphabetical.

4 minutes ago, Laridae88 said:

Does anyone have a feel for what the "waves" indicate?  Is it simply a logistical approach where they send them in batches, or does being in the first wave indicate you are a stronger candidate?  I'm assuming the latter, but my optimist husband suggested it may be alphabetical.

I would imagine strongest applicants first and seeing who is left in the applicant pool after the cycle closed in March. But an interview is an interview so I’ll be happy if I get one! Good luck!! 

2 hours ago, Laridae88 said:

I was offered an interview in the first wave and my last name starts with a T so I doubt it’s alphabetical.  In my experience with other schools, there seems to be a strategy to how they schedule one-on-one interviews with candidates.  For instance, I was chosen to be the first female interviewed on all of my interview days so I knew it couldn’t just be a coincidence.  I don’t think EVMS would go to the extent of strategizing the interview invites.

Archived