TENNESSEE: University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) 2017-2018 Cycle

On 8/29/2017 at 4:45 PM, karhorn said:

Hello! I am interviewing here on September 8th! Is anyone else interviewing on that date? 

Does anyone know how many they have already accepted?? 

As of wed they said they've sent out 27 acceptances. However, that was essentially the case last year and I was the last interview. They took 3 of us from that interview and we didn't have 30 people at the start. People drop out if they get into schools that were their first choice as late as December. So don't focus on that, focus on the interview and even if you're waitlisted (or alternate as they call it) don't be discouraged, you could get admitted later on if people decline their seat. You only have 3 weeks to confirm it otherwise they assume it's a no from you. 

On 9/5/2017 at 11:46 AM, JEWEL said:

From what they told us during my interview, it was mainly because they weren't able to submit some paperwork on time. If it was over something more serious, then they wouldn't be allowed to hold interviews.

It's still a great school with wonderful faculty and the students there are very happy that they decided to go there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly this! It's all stupid admin stuff, the curriculum is fine and from personal experience the faculty is great! It was also tough because in addition to the move to the college of medicine, the former program director quit towards the end of last year so Kris Maday, the current program director didn't start until January when the current cohort began so he couldn't fix what was messed up before he got there.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:27 PM, RADSCE said:

Well thank you emoji4.png I am looking forward to the interview and I'm so excited, so hopefully that comes out more than the nerves! Congratulations again!

If you want to chat specifics send me a message! I've talked a few interviewees and some of them got accepted! I've got that inside scoop from having done this before and seeing the people they accepted for the current cohort 

On 9/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, emily1016 said:

Hi everyone, I interviewed on August 18th and was unfortunately not accepted, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the program gives interview feedback? I'd love to know how I can improve and what they liked/disliked about my interview! 

I'm not sure if they do, but since things have been ever evolving, you'd have nothing to lose by contacting them to ask. I'd suggest calling the main PA school phone number to ask if it's even possible and then they'll tell you who you should contact if they do indeed give feedback. Don't let this get you down! Cheesy as it sounds, everything happens for a reason and you'll end up at the program that is right for you!

On 9/5/2017 at 7:55 PM, RADSCE said:

Congratulations!! I interview the 22nd... Do you guys have any tips? Anything would be appreciated! Getting a little nervous!

Hey! I have an interview on the 22nd as well! Look forward to meeting everyone and learning about the program. Cannot wait! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2017 at 11:07 AM, Kteel said:

Hey Guys!

I am a current UT first year PA student and wanted to see if anyone has questions? I went through this last year and it was one of the better interviews. The director of admission is fantastic and will put you at ease if you are nervous. Feel free to contact me about interviews, where to live or just basic questions about interviews in general. One of the second years did this last year and it helped me so I hope I can help you guys!

Kayce

Hello Kayce!

I am interviewing Friday here and just wanted to pick your brain about the process. They sent the schedule of the day, but are the interviews really 5 hours? And what style is the essay? I had an interview last month for another January start program and the interview process went fast and they were so sweet, so I am hoping this one Friday is like my last one was. Thank you in advance for anything you can answer for me!

Amanda

40 minutes ago, 123PA123 said:

Does anyone know when the adcomm is meeting to review the September interviewees? Are they meeting at the end of the month or are they going to wait until after the October 6th interview date? The wait is driving me insane.  

I was wondering the same thing! Did you ever find out when they are reviewing them?

On 9/20/2017 at 3:33 PM, aematson said:

Hello Kayce!

I am interviewing Friday here and just wanted to pick your brain about the process. They sent the schedule of the day, but are the interviews really 5 hours? And what style is the essay? I had an interview last month for another January start program and the interview process went fast and they were so sweet, so I am hoping this one Friday is like my last one was. Thank you in advance for anything you can answer for me!

Amanda

Amanda,

I am so sorry I just saw this. Most people have been emailing me directly. I hope you interview went well. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me as I do check in..it been a cray few weeks. 

Best,

Kayce

Guest polishedpas
11 hours ago, karlye17 said:

Ugh, I know.... this is torture!!! The waiting game still continues :(

Me too, it's horrible! I guess it's because there's few spots left and they wanna be able to choose from the last 3 groups

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 9:38 AM, Axa2050 said:

Me too, it's horrible! I guess it's because there's few spots left and they wanna be able to choose from the last 3 groups

Sorry I didn't reply to earlier messages! Yeah, they wanted to wait until after the last interview but they meet after each interview date to discuss that crop of people. I don't know exactly how many spots are left, and I think they want to just insure they have the best crop to choose from who will all jive well together. (I personally said that they all have to mesh well with me so i should be in the meetings...but PJ said no lol). There have been a lot of exams and meetings and such this week so I think the committee has been pretty overloaded with outside stuff as well, and Monday is a holiday, but I hope they get back to y'all soon! If it helps, the same thing happened to me last year, where I had to wait an extra 2 weeks due to a conference they had to attend and it was TORTURE!! Think of it as they have met SO MANY GREAT APPLICANTS that they NEED the extra time to pick the final group! Better than having the decision made easily because they are settling or that there isn't a lot of competition. I also think they are trying to build up a good group of wait-listed students so that we are guaranteed to have 30 start in January. The past few years people have dropped their slot too late for someone to fill it. 

Keep your heads up and just know, as I've said before and as cliche as it sounds, you WiLL end up at the right place for you! If not here, it will be elsewhere! It took me and many of my classmates 2 cycles to get into PA school, and my second time around I applied to 29 places! It will all work out and all of the effort, stress, disappointments and successes of the process will be worth it once you're in PA school, but will also amplify, making graduation all the sweeter!! (at least that's what i try to tell myself...)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!

-Taylor

On 9/26/2017 at 9:48 AM, 123PA123 said:

@karhorn No, I haven't. I was hoping maybe @Tanders87 could give us some information? 

Sorry i didn't see this! They don't tell me anything anymore lol as I just tell them that I want to make the decisions so that I like everyone haha. Trust me, I try to get info out of them but they are not telling me much :(