TENNESSEE: University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) 2017-2018 Cycle

On 8/20/2017 at 1:16 PM, adrpsmit said:

Taylor, 

Would you be able to share how your first semester went? Was it crazy busy? Was the simulation center open at that time? If so, how was that experience? How was the cadaver lab?

Adrienne

Of course! The simulation center was not open yet, but we knew that. For H+P we practiced on each other as much as possible, and did vaginal, rectal and breast exams on standardized patients, who are normal people who are paid to let us practice these exams on them. For our H+P exams, we had standardized patient encounters where the faculty watched us on camera to make sure we did the exam correctly and the patients also would grade us on our performance.

While anatomy was the bane of my existence, the cadaver lab is great compared to what I have seen/heard about at other schools. We had 4 people per cadaver and we did the entire dissection. Maybe I don't have a soul...but you don't realize it's a human until you start to do anything facial (otherwise it's all covered up). We had 24 hr access to the lab (unless they were prepping for a cadaver lab exam). People i know at other schools who do not actually perform the dissections alone, think that not doing the dissection itself is detrimental.

First semester...crazy busy is an understatement! Regardless of what program you attend, you can never be prepared for the amount of knowledge thrown at you and how much you are expected to retain. It definitely consumed my whole life, but the experience really bonds you to your classmates. I can't imagine my life without the 26 others in my original class with me. You study more than you have ever studied in your life, and the biggest challenge as a cohort was some of the younger people not realizing that PA school isn't competitive! We eventually learned to share resources and try to split up study notes for certain courses in order to make sure everyone did well. My unique experience leading to my decision to take some time off proved that the faculty is AMAZING at UTHSC. They went above and beyond to make sure that i felt at peace with the decision, and continue to. 

You'll be shocked at the course load and what is expected of you, but you eventually start to get used to it. Just realize, you will never really be taking vacations, sleep is more important than you've ever thought, and trying to make it so you have SOME fun once in a while is essential. 

If you have any specific questions, anyone is free to shoot me a message!

Hope this helped!

Taylor

• Upvote 3

Guest polishedpas
16 hours ago, karhorn said:

Hello! I am interviewing here on September 8th! Is anyone else interviewing on that date? 

Does anyone know how many they have already accepted?? 

I am! :)

does anyone know specifically why this program is on probation?
During our interview they told us that ARC-PA wanted to protect the program and felt that the program would be better served under the medical school's supervision. The University complied with this and moved the PA program to the purview of the medical college. No other more specific details were provided to us.

They specifically told us that they had not been restricted on how many students they could accept, which is a very good sign. Programs that are facing severe disfunction usually are. I think that this combined with the PANCE scores for the first couple of graduating classes should ease any worries about the quality of the program.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From what they told us during my interview, it was mainly because they weren't able to submit some paperwork on time. If it was over something more serious, then they wouldn't be allowed to hold interviews.

It's still a great school with wonderful faculty and the students there are very happy that they decided to go there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stjorden said:

During our interview they told us that ARC-PA wanted to protect the program and felt that the program would be better served under the medical school's supervision. The University complied with this and moved the PA program to the purview of the medical college. No other more specific details were provided to us.

They specifically told us that they had not been restricted on how many students they could accept, which is a very good sign. Programs that are facing severe disfunction usually are. I think that this combined with the PANCE scores for the first couple of graduating classes should ease any worries about the quality of the program.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thank you.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations!! I interview the 22nd... Do you guys have any tips? Anything would be appreciated! Getting a little nervous!

As cliche as this might sound, JUST BE YOURSELF! I truly mean that! Just remember the main reason why you want to become a PA and let your enthusiasm shine through in a way that is genuine. They just want to get to know you as a person. The faculty is very down to earth and welcoming.

I was nervous as well leading up to it, but my nerves actually went away once I got there and started talking to the other candidates, who also seemed very nice.

Don't be afraid to mix and mingle with the other candidates (some of them could become your future classmates [emoji6]). It also might help you relax, because you are all going through the same experience. In my group, we were all supportive of each other.

The whole day was a great experience for me and I hope it is for you as well! Good luck! [emoji847]

As cliche as this might sound, JUST BE YOURSELF! I truly mean that! Just remember the main reason why you want to become a PA and let your enthusiasm shine through in a way that is genuine. They just want to get to know you as a person. The faculty is very down to earth and welcoming.

I was nervous as well leading up to it, but my nerves actually went away once I got there and started talking to the other candidates, who also seemed very nice.

Don't be afraid to mix and mingle with the other candidates (some of them could become your future classmates [emoji6]). It also might help you relax, because you are all going through the same experience. In my group, we were all supportive of each other.

The whole day was a great experience for me and I hope it is for you as well! Good luck! [emoji847]

Well thank you [emoji4] I am looking forward to the interview and I'm so excited, so hopefully that comes out more than the nerves! Congratulations again!

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2017 at 11:38 AM, BearDown said:

It's due to admin stuff that got lost in the shuffle during the transition into the college of medicine. It will be lifted in Jan 2019 most likely. It had nothing to do with academics, doesn't effect jobs, anything with pance or what your degree is upon graduation