2017-2018 Application Cycle (GA Campus)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! 

I am currently a PA student attending PCOM. If you have any questions about anything PA school related feel free to reach out to me! I also have most of the books I purchased for the summer semester so if anyone would be interested in purchasing them from me please let me know! 

Just now, PAzeke said:

Hey everyone! 

I am currently a PA student attending PCOM. If you have any questions about anything PA school related feel free to reach out to me! I also have most of the books I purchased for the summer semester so if anyone would be interested in purchasing them from me please let me know! 

Hi @PAzeke. What is the dress code for pcom ga? Also what are the class hours? 8 -5?

And PBL is utilized correct?

2 hours ago, Roadtopaspac said:

Hi @PAzeke. What is the dress code for pcom ga? Also what are the class hours? 8 -5?

And PBL is utilized correct?

The is no standard dress code, most of us wear T shirts, jeans or shorts. As for the hours it really varies. It changes every week, but after the summer semester there are more 8-5 days. I am not familiar with PBL. 

This thread is awfully quiet.  Is anyone else interviewing in October? Are invitations still going out? Is anyone being updated from their interviews?
I'm extremely excited to visit the campus and view the facility.

Only 2-3 interview sessions have been held and since they'll take 2-4 weeks to get back to us, I don't think anyone from the 9/14 interviews has been updated because it was just one week ago. But a lot of people posted that they were waitlisted from the other interview session!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, PAzeke said:

The is no standard dress code, most of us wear T shirts, jeans or shorts. As for the hours it really varies. It changes every week, but after the summer semester there are more 8-5 days. I am not familiar with PBL. 

Thank you. So is the class time only lecture? Or does the program have other means of teaching like small group cases to solve ? 

20 minutes ago, Roadtopaspac said:

Thank you. So is the class time only lecture? Or does the program have other means of teaching like small group cases to solve ? 

A lot of the time is spent in lecture or in lab for anatomy and physiology during the summer semester. Once you get into the fall semester we start having interactions with standardized patients in the simulation lab and have a class with the DO and Pharm students. 

1 minute ago, zrader said:

@PAzeke

What are the best places to live? Are there areas to stay away from due to traffic? Any suggestions on locations? Just got accepted, and would like to at least start passively looking around the area. Thank you!

Congratulations on your acceptance! If you are looking into living close to the school a lot of the students chose to live in Chelsea 88 apartments in Duluth.  There are a lot of apartments in the Suwanee area or lawerenceville located near the school. I chose to live in Duluth and the traffic is not bad. I would say I did live in Roswell and the drive to and from school was very long because of the traffic in the city so maybe stay away from living that far south of the school. 

3 hours ago, PAzeke said:

A lot of the time is spent in lecture or in lab for anatomy and physiology during the summer semester. Once you get into the fall semester we start having interactions with standardized patients in the simulation lab and have a class with the DO and Pharm students. 

Ah ok . So is the curriculum systems/organ based or traditional ? Also what types of clubs and organizations are available for extracurricular activities?

21 hours ago, Roadtopaspac said:

Ah ok . So is the curriculum systems/organ based or traditional ? Also what types of clubs and organizations are available for extracurricular activities?

(GA PCOM 2nd year PA-S here) The curriculum is organ/system based, cardiology, endo, pulmonolgy, you move from system to system. During the fall your main classes are A&P (plus a bunch of other little classes), the winter is H&P (plus more little classes), then it becomes all about clinical medicine until you are done with didactic. You also have a separate pharmacology course. Sprinkled into the clinical courses you have specialty courses like surgery, ER, psych, etc.

When I went through my didactic the exams weren't always right after you finished covering a topic (sometimes up to 3 weeks after) but that may be fixed by now. It was really annoying because you were expected to continue learning about a different system then be tested in the previous system.

There are plenty of organizations to belong to, the PA association is the closest related one, but you also have others like Surgery club, ER club, PCOM Fit, etc. Faculty doesnt recommend jumping on ship with the organizations until you have a feel for how much time you need to spend studying. Some organizations are more relaxed than others. Im part of the ER club and we rarely ever meet. Others meet weekly. The campus has a play room with Xbox, PS4, ping pong tables, and a pool table. Those are all free to use 24/7.

On 9/22/2017 at 2:03 PM, zrader said:

@PAzeke

What are the best places to live? Are there areas to stay away from due to traffic? Any suggestions on locations? Just got accepted, and would like to at least start passively looking around the area. Thank you!

Like PAzeke said, chelsea 88 seems to be favored. My suggestion is live as close to the school as you can, you will spend a lot of time there and may need to go in to study or other short-timed activities.

The area around the campus is safe, I lived in Lawerenceville (15 mins from campus) and never had a problem. It is suburban Atlanta so anywhere within 15 minutes from campus is fine.

5 hours ago, ambros29 said:

I interviewed at the end of August and received my acceptance letter last week! I loved the program and look forward to meeting some of you! Please keep me in the loop if someone makes a facebook page or anything like that. My email is ambros29@msu.edu.

Congrats on the acceptance. Usually the current president of the class will get with the faculty and start a FB page for the class. Maybe @PAzeke can help?

Congrats @zrader and @ambros29!

Thanks for sharing your stats earlier, zrader! Do you mind sharing your stats, ambros29? At least the hours and type of experiences?

Currently still waiting to be pulled off from the wait-list from 8/10: nobody had mentioned in this forum that they got accepted from that interview date :/

Hoping for the best! Thanks!! :)

3 hours ago, padream127 said:

Congrats @zrader and @ambros29!

Thanks for sharing your stats earlier, zrader! Do you mind sharing your stats, ambros29? At least the hours and type of experiences?

Currently still waiting to be pulled off from the wait-list from 8/10: nobody had mentioned in this forum that they got accepted from that interview date :/

Hoping for the best! Thanks!! :)

I had close to 4000 hours working as a medical technician and my gpa was 3.76. Wishing you the best of luck! 

On 9/22/2017 at 1:14 PM, haleycmaxwell said:

Only 2-3 interview sessions have been held and since they'll take 2-4 weeks to get back to us, I don't think anyone from the 9/14 interviews has been updated because it was just one week ago. But a lot of people posted that they were waitlisted from the other interview session!

How did your interview go?

On 9/23/2017 at 3:50 PM, davidccs said:

(GA PCOM 2nd year PA-S here) The curriculum is organ/system based, cardiology, endo, pulmonolgy, you move from system to system. During the fall your main classes are A&P (plus a bunch of other little classes), the winter is H&P (plus more little classes), then it becomes all about clinical medicine until you are done with didactic. You also have a separate pharmacology course. Sprinkled into the clinical courses you have specialty courses like surgery, ER, psych, etc.

When I went through my didactic the exams weren't always right after you finished covering a topic (sometimes up to 3 weeks after) but that may be fixed by now. It was really annoying because you were expected to continue learning about a different system then be tested in the previous system.

There are plenty of organizations to belong to, the PA association is the closest related one, but you also have others like Surgery club, ER club, PCOM Fit, etc. Faculty doesnt recommend jumping on ship with the organizations until you have a feel for how much time you need to spend studying. Some organizations are more relaxed than others. Im part of the ER club and we rarely ever meet. Others meet weekly. The campus has a play room with Xbox, PS4, ping pong tables, and a pool table. Those are all free to use 24/7.

Ah ok. Thank you for the information! It has been really helpful. Was there another school you were trying to decide on when you entered your cycle? If so, why did you choose pcom?

14 hours ago, Roadtopaspac said:

Ah ok. Thank you for the information! It has been really helpful. Was there another school you were trying to decide on when you entered your cycle? If so, why did you choose pcom?

I applied to another 3 schools, got interviewed and accepted into one and decided against it because it was in the west virginia mountains, too low PANCE passing rates, too cold, too far, and way too country for me. PCOM was the opposite of that.

Good luck on your interview today. Let us know how it goes when you are done. I still haven't heard from PCOM so I might not be one of the lucky ones [emoji17]

They told us they have 9 interview days left at my interview on 9/14. Each with 15-20 students so there's still a lot of people left to interview.

Archived