2017-2018 Application Cycle (GA Campus)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2017 at 6:14 PM, davidccs said:

Hey guys, my name is David I am currently in the 2018 class for the GA campus, feel free to ask me any questions about the program (Its been a while since I did CASPA so Im really not a good help there)

Hey David how's the program? Have you started clinical yet?

On 7/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, padream127 said:

Hi, everyone.

I just received an interview invite today.

CASPA-verified and submitted on 6/7.

I am a reapplicant for CASPA cycle but new applicant for PCOM-GA campus.

I'm from Pennsylvania and still overwhelmed about how I am going to plan out this trip... I hope I am not the only one that is living a distance away!

Congratulations when is your interview? 

13 hours ago, Dharri20 said:

Hey David how's the program? Have you started clinical yet?

Program is great, small class number, they really easy you into it and understand that we have people of all backgrounds and skills levels. There is a lot of practice to make you comfortable with whatever your learning, and a lot of resources as well.

I am in my first clinical rotation, it is internal medicine outpatient, preceptor is great, and it is 40 mins from where I live but 20 mins from campus, I will be travelling as far as 4 hours away for one of my rotations. Lmk if you have any particular questions.

Got some questions from a applicant, hopefully they can help others as well

• What is the ratio for the faculty to students?
    • 20 students, 4 full time faculty, and many guest speakers/part-time faculty
  • What is the benefits of having a small class and campus - does it makes the studying progress easier and more focused?
    • Yes, we have our own building where we super rarely see other students (have our own break room, fridge, microwave, lockers) and parking is a breeze
  • How readily is the faculty's responds to students questions and how supportive are the faculties?
    • They respond within 24 hours, usually within hours. They help you as much as they legally can
  • What strength in this program do you like that makes you chose this program over others?
    • cadaver lab, small class, small campus, lots of hands on/practice, doesnt skimp on equipment or maintenance

12 hours ago, davidccs said:

Program is great, small class number, they really easy you into it and understand that we have people of all backgrounds and skills levels. There is a lot of practice to make you comfortable with whatever your learning, and a lot of resources as well.

I am in my first clinical rotation, it is internal medicine outpatient, preceptor is great, and it is 40 mins from where I live but 20 mins from campus, I will be travelling as far as 4 hours away for one of my rotations. Lmk if you have any particular questions.

What hospitals will u be rotating at for clinical? How was the interview there? Is it intense or is it more casual? 

On 8/27/2017 at 4:55 AM, Dharri20 said:

What hospitals will u be rotating at for clinical? How was the interview there? Is it intense or is it more casual? 

A hospital in gainesville ga, one in opelika AL, one in decatur GA and, one in moultrei GA plus if I do an elective in a hospital

On 8/26/2017 at 5:18 PM, zrader said:

@davisccs 

How would you describe the relationship between students, and how has the program (faculty and setup of the program) fostered/hindered that relationship?

The relationship is fine, we all get along well. Everybody has their inner group that they hang out/study with but overall we all do well together, not competitive (no reason to, we arent fighting for residency spots)

The faculty/program will hold pot lucks and other mixers in the beginning to get us to mingle not only between ourselves but with other programs too. We've held sessions in which students have hashed out something they disagreed on and whatnots and at the end we were glad to be able to be open about it.

Got a question that some of you may find helpful

Question: Does PCOM focus on an applicants numbers and which number is the most important?

I dont think that is the case with PCOM. For example, in my class we have people with over 10k hours of HCE but very minimal volunteer and shadowing hours. Others have no HCE but have a high amount of shadowing, most do have some sort of HCE though. All the students have bachelors, some had their bachelors for a while, others came straight from undergrad, one has a masters in a science field. So there isnt a set number that PCOM looks at, imho. I would say they look at the person behind the numbers more than just the numbers themselves.

Archived