2017-2018 Application Cycle (GA Campus)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for getting this group started!

Just a quick question, do you know if the supplemental requires another essay? I know that the supplemental question part of CASPA required a brief statement.

It doesn't require another essay other than the one you filled out in CASPA. The supplemental is just confirming your info and tells you what LOR's you need before you are considered complete. It's a $75 fee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, my name is David I am currently in the 2018 class for the GA campus, feel free to ask me any questions about the program (Its been a while since I did CASPA so Im really not a good help there)

Hey David!

Do you mind sharing your application timeline? When you submitted, received interview invite, and acceptance.

Also, how has your experience at the GA campus been so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied in late september, got a call for an interview in january I couldnt make, and had to reschedule to one in february, got accepted 2 weeks later.

Some of the people in my class that applied early got waitlisted before being accepted though, so everybody's experience may be different

I really like the campus, its a small campus, we have our own area which is really nice cause only 20 of us use (until the new class starts in a week, then 40 of us will use) compared to the main area which is used by 200+ students daily.

People leave macs laying around, as well as books and stuff in the main building and apparently nothing has been stolen in years. The upkeep of the campus is very well done, nothing looks really old.

cafeteria food is pretty cheap, and OK. Must bring food from home though. Lots of apartment complexes around campus to choose from. Lots of opportunities to interact with clubs, and seminars.

Overall I am very happy that I ended up here

Hi David,

Do you mind sharing your stats (if you remember them)? 

I dont remember them exactly but ill ballpark them

cGPA 3.5

sGPA 3.6

HCE 12,000+ (paramedic x 7 years)

Shadowing 80 hours in ER, ortho, and one more that I forgot :S

Volunteering 60 hours in non-healthcare related

Teaching assistant for micro, genetics, and one more that escapes me

Like I said thats a ballpark, but I remember looking at the averages in the PCOM webpage and thinking I was right about the average for the GPAs. I would say thats your best bet to see how competitive you are.

http://www.pcom.edu/admissions/apply/physician-assistant.html

Stats are second from the bottom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am curious if PCOM looks at you as a whole?  I submitted my application, but did not realize CASPA accounts for every grade.  I ended up with a BCP of 2.69, post bac 2.93 science GPA, and an overall science of 2.69.  I did not do well in my undergraduate studies because I was really sick all the time.  Fast forward about a decade+ and I was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease.  I went back to school and now my post bac GPA is a 3.5, with almost all science courses.  I have over 11,000 hours in outpatient physical therapy rehab as a tech and front office manager.  I am also setting up my shadowing hours for Summer and Fall.  I would love to know how much they compare the CASPA calculations to your actual current GPA? Any thoughts? TYIA

On 6/24/2017 at 3:26 PM, ttran1021 said:

Does anyone know if PCOM requires a B.S. before submitting applications, or can I apply as long as I get my degree before matriculation? Anything info helps, thanks!

They do not, we had some people come straight from undergrad.

8 hours ago, JanessaD said:

Hi Everyone,

I am curious if PCOM looks at you as a whole?  I submitted my application, but did not realize CASPA accounts for every grade.  I ended up with a BCP of 2.69, post bac 2.93 science GPA, and an overall science of 2.69.  I did not do well in my undergraduate studies because I was really sick all the time.  Fast forward about a decade+ and I was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease.  I went back to school and now my post bac GPA is a 3.5, with almost all science courses.  I have over 11,000 hours in outpatient physical therapy rehab as a tech and front office manager.  I am also setting up my shadowing hours for Summer and Fall.  I would love to know how much they compare the CASPA calculations to your actual current GPA? Any thoughts? TYIA

My understanding is that in such cases most schools will look for signs of improvement. I also remember reading something about PCOM taking your last X number of credits into the most consideration (again looking for improvement), or maybe that was another school :S

Id say read up on the old application threads for the past years (for both philly and GA campuses), Im sure you are not the only one to have gone through that similar scenario.

13 hours ago, davidccs said:

They do not, we had some people come straight from undergrad.

My understanding is that in such cases most schools will look for signs of improvement. I also remember reading something about PCOM taking your last X number of credits into the most consideration (again looking for improvement), or maybe that was another school :S

Id say read up on the old application threads for the past years (for both philly and GA campuses), Im sure you are not the only one to have gone through that similar scenario.

Thank you!  Yes, I do remember seeing some of the programs specifically looking at the last 40-60 credit hours. 

On 5/28/2017 at 3:14 PM, davidccs said:

Hey guys, my name is David I am currently in the 2018 class for the GA campus, feel free to ask me any questions about the program (Its been a while since I did CASPA so Im really not a good help there)

Hey David, I heard from PCOM PA campus that they have the opportunity to do an international rotation for your elective the clinical year? Is that true of the GA campus as well? They also said that the student would have to set this up... which sounds difficult, so I'm curious to know if you have any insight into this? Thanks!!

7 hours ago, Samlarelle said:

Hey David, I heard from PCOM PA campus that they have the opportunity to do an international rotation for your elective the clinical year? Is that true of the GA campus as well? They also said that the student would have to set this up... which sounds difficult, so I'm curious to know if you have any insight into this? Thanks!!

Yes it is true for both campuses that students can set up their own rotations. That goes for any of the rotations, from primary care to your elective. PCOM does have rotations that they will place you in, but it is nice to have the option to set up your own if you have a geographical area you need to stay in or whatever your reasoning is.

The whole process of setting up your own rotations falls completely on the student's shoulders, from making the initial contact to getting a possible schedule to making sure that paperwork is filled out and returned. We do have a girl that set up all but one of her rotations in her home town because she wanted to be there, so it is possible.

In comparison, if you just let PCOM set up the rotations for you, you'll get a schedule of where your going (anywhere in the US), what dates, for which rotation, and with who, and you are expected to take that schedule, say thank you and get your bags packed, no buts ifs or whats. They do try to keep people with major responsibilities (marriage, kids, dependents, etc - Fido or Mr Whiskers don't count) somewhat close to home, thats also based on how many of your classmates have similar responsibilities.

If the rotation is >60 miles or >1 hour away from the school that you are based in PCOM will pay for housing (not travel, transportation, or food) for the time youll be away. If you set up your own rotations, you pay for everything.

I would personally expect it to be very difficult to set up an international rotation, it seems like a hassle enough to be done here in the US, I cant imagine trying to do it internationally.

7 hours ago, davidccs said:

Yes it is true for both campuses that students can set up their own rotations. That goes for any of the rotations, from primary care to your elective. PCOM does have rotations that they will place you in, but it is nice to have the option to set up your own if you have a geographical area you need to stay in or whatever your reasoning is.

The whole process of setting up your own rotations falls completely on the student's shoulders, from making the initial contact to getting a possible schedule to making sure that paperwork is filled out and returned. We do have a girl that set up all but one of her rotations in her home town because she wanted to be there, so it is possible.

In comparison, if you just let PCOM set up the rotations for you, you'll get a schedule of where your going (anywhere in the US), what dates, for which rotation, and with who, and you are expected to take that schedule, say thank you and get your bags packed, no buts ifs or whats. They do try to keep people with major responsibilities (marriage, kids, dependents, etc - Fido or Mr Whiskers don't count) somewhat close to home, thats also based on how many of your classmates have similar responsibilities.

If the rotation is >60 miles or >1 hour away from the school that you are based in PCOM will pay for housing (not travel, transportation, or food) for the time youll be away. If you set up your own rotations, you pay for everything.

I would personally expect it to be very difficult to set up an international rotation, it seems like a hassle enough to be done here in the US, I cant imagine trying to do it internationally.

I can imagine it being a hassle but possibly doable if you set up just the international rotation and let them set up the rest...? Something for me to think about I guess. Thanks so much for the detailed response!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone.

I just received an interview invite today.

CASPA-verified and submitted on 6/7.

I am a reapplicant for CASPA cycle but new applicant for PCOM-GA campus.

I'm from Pennsylvania and still overwhelmed about how I am going to plan out this trip... I hope I am not the only one that is living a distance away!

Archived