2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JHarp said:

What do you consider "later"?  I applied and was verified end of July. I applied to the Anchorage site only. Id love to chat more with you if I could figure out how to chat privately! 

Mine was verified the end of August. July may or may not have you in the earlier pile. The way I figure is they haven't denied me yet. I know several people currently attending at the Spokane site and know that they two rounds of interviews. Not sure about Anchorage though. tasha.anisimov@eagles.ewu.edu

On 9/29/2017 at 9:47 PM, pa supportive husband said:

If you have any questions to help clam your nerves a bit, please ask! My wife was nervous the first time and herself the second. When I apply in 2022, I'm sure I will be the same way but going in with info about the interviews should help. It's a good program and time goes by quick. My wife is in her clinical rotations and sees something new every day. She is in Orthopedic surgery and is actually loving surgery. It will be a long hard journey but worth it! 

Any helpful tid bits will be appreciative! I was so nervous last year, I was so cold too! Probably a nerve thing...

6 hours ago, Beeraye said:

Any helpful tid bits will be appreciative! I was so nervous last year, I was so cold too! Probably a nerve thing...

My wife was nervous the first time. She was in an interview and when asked a question she "froze" so to speak for a second and someone else answered over her so that didn't help and got her down the rest of the interview. The second time applying, she was herself, outgoing talking to all the students, "mingling" on her free time. She went in prepared by having a good idea what the interview were like. Sounds like you may have been just like her, so go in, confident, saying you got this. I told her to go in and be confident and have the mind set that she was going to get in. She did so well the second time the admin staff even saw a a difference between interviews.

I suggest doing a group meeting if possible the night before. It helps in the event you have some of those interviewing with you. Don't rehearse to much, just be yourself. Thank the members for their time, if you have anything to add/change/etc at the end, speak up. Watch their body language as much as possible, if you get something that looks like they don't understand, clarify. I will try and have her jump on here tomorrow and see if I am missing anything. 

4 minutes ago, pa supportive husband said:

My wife was nervous the first time. She was in an interview and when asked a question she "froze" so to speak for a second and someone else answered over her so that didn't help and got her down the rest of the interview. The second time applying, she was herself, outgoing talking to all the students, "mingling" on her free time. She went in prepared by having a good idea what the interview were like. Sounds like you may have been just like her, so go in, confident, saying you got this. I told her to go in and be confident and have the mind set that she was going to get in. She did so well the second time the admin staff even saw a a difference between interviews.

I suggest doing a group meeting if possible the night before. It helps in the event you have some of those interviewing with you. Don't rehearse to much, just be yourself. Thank the members for their time, if you have anything to add/change/etc at the end, speak up. Watch their body language as much as possible, if you get something that looks like they don't understand, clarify. I will try and have her jump on here tomorrow and see if I am missing anything. 

Ask her if she'd like to get coffee since shes here in Anchorage! ;) and if she can tell me what pathophysiology book they used... I've got plenty of time to read while I wait for December... lol  

19 minutes ago, JHarp said:

Ask her if she'd like to get coffee since shes here in Anchorage! ;) and if she can tell me what pathophysiology book they used... I've got plenty of time to read while I wait for December... lol  

She is back in Fairbanks, but will be going down in December for formative test. I will let her know. I dug out her old book list and Martini FH. Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology. 10th ed.
ISBN: 978-0321908599
Publisher: Benjamin Cummings
$262.25

Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, and Mitchell RN. Robbins Basic Pathology, 9th ed. Saunders/Elsevier. c. 2013. ISBN: 978-1-4377-1781-5. $99.95

Was needed for the Summer A&P/Basic Science in Seattle. May change for 2018 but a good start. It's a pretty intensive course. I think it was 2 to 3 weeks of hands on A&P and the rest was Basic Science for Clinical. 

On 10/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, Beeraye said:

I would like to meet up with everyone maybe the day before, just to get to know each other and what not. :) Rocket bakery is a cute place off of grand to meet??? If we were to meet for brunch. Im up for any suggestions :)

I was offered an interview for 11/4 as well! Would love to meet up with some people beforehand. I'm from Spokane too, Rocket Bakery sounds great. 

1 hour ago, jjeffreys said:

I was offered an interview for 11/4 as well! Would love to meet up with some people beforehand. I'm from Spokane too, Rocket Bakery sounds great. 

I actually meant rockwood bakery, but they close at 530p and if people are coming in the evening maybe that wont work?? Theres the Elk?? Thats downtownish.. maybe better? IDK if anyone has any ideas..

She is back in Fairbanks, but will be going down in December for formative test. I will let her know. I dug out her old book list and Martini FH. Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology. 10th ed.
ISBN: 978-0321908599
Publisher: Benjamin Cummings
$262.25
Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, and Mitchell RN. Robbins Basic Pathology, 9th ed. Saunders/Elsevier. c. 2013. ISBN: 978-1-4377-1781-5. $99.95

Was needed for the Summer A&P/Basic Science in Seattle. May change for 2018 but a good start. It's a pretty intensive course. I think it was 2 to 3 weeks of hands on A&P and the rest was Basic Science for Clinical. 

Fyi the basic path book is the 10th edition now which is apparently different in many ways from the 9th addition... and we really don't use it until fall quarter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2017 at 0:03 AM, pa supportive husband said:

Thank you, it will definitely be better knowing what to expect..

On 10/2/2017 at 10:04 PM, ttllvv said:

I am interviewing on October 12th for Seattle - wondering if there is anyone else interested in meeting a day or two before?

Hi! Definitely interested! I sent a DM, but don't know if it went through? I'm available Tuesday afternoon/evening!

On 10/6/2017 at 10:37 AM, Beeraye said:

I actually meant rockwood bakery, but they close at 530p and if people are coming in the evening maybe that wont work?? Theres the Elk?? Thats downtownish.. maybe better? IDK if anyone has any ideas..

The Elk sounds great. I'm sure more people will take us up on the offer as it gets closer. I get off work around 530 so good thinking changing it up. 

On 9/29/2017 at 1:16 PM, yanetyjo said:

Hi,

Happy to hear someone from Anchorage, I am applying to the bachelor this year. MEDEX  was the only program I applied, I am nervous too. I am not married and I don't have children, I am an IMG waiting. It has been a long wait. I have not received interview invitation.

What about you, have you received something?

Hi- I applied to the Anchorage site as well.  I interviewed in Seattle for an Anchorage spot for the last cycle and didn’t get selected.  I’m anxiously awaiting the email this cycle.   ~Crystal 

2 hours ago, CBER2016 said:

Hi- I applied to the Anchorage site as well.  I interviewed in Seattle for an Anchorage spot for the last cycle and didn’t get selected.  I’m anxiously awaiting the email this cycle.   ~Crystal 

That's rough. Did they give you any feedback? What's your background? Not too many anchorage applicants on these boards it seems.. 

They don’t give any feedback- just general pointers on how to beef up your application the following year.  I was at the last interview of the cycle and there were about twelve of us and only two open spots.  I am a CMA  with 16 years experience and a Health Science major- applying for the Bachelor’s program.

12 hours ago, CBER2016 said:

They don’t give any feedback- just general pointers on how to beef up your application the following year.  I was at the last interview of the cycle and there were about twelve of us and only two open spots.  I am a CMA  with 16 years experience and a Health Science major- applying for the Bachelor’s program.

mmmm, we are not a lot applying at Anchorage, ohh well I have not seen many applicants in this Forum. I am applying to the Bachelor program too. Good luck to us.

Archived