2017-2018 Application Cycle

19 hours ago, ladychels said:

For time reference, my application was verified on July 7th! 2nd time applying. Will let you guys know when I hear about an interview! 

Mine was verified June 15th. I'm a first time applicant. Thank you to everyone who has shared a timeline of when things seem to happen... I've been checking my email like crazy these past few months. Finally feels good to say we should hear something back this month! Woo.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2017 at 11:29 PM, pa supportive husband said:

My wife is currently a 2nd year student getting ready to start her Clinical Rotations. The curriculum is tough, you go through quite a bit in a short amount of time. I can't speak directly to the curriculum since I'm not in the program but we have talked a lot. Plan to spend a lot of time studying, you do a few papers, even more if your in the masters program. You also have a lot of reading and the tests can be brutal at times. If you are weak in an area make sure you get with classmates who are strong and can help you. My wife was in Anchorage so different site but all the same material. Don't expect to have a life and from the support POV make sure you have a good support system. I didn't bother her with the day to day stuff and didn't really speak with her that much because all the students spent so much time studying. Our kids understood that (10 and 5 at the time so it was a bit har) but I kept them busy and she would talk when she could. She does jump in here from time to time so if you reply back to me with any other questions, I will let her know. 

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I expect any top-rated PA program to be rigorous as you describe here - to expect any less would be naive! I can see how it would be especially challenging for a mother with family, however, and it is a useful perspective for me to consider. Thank you for sharing, and the BEST of luck to your wife in her final year!

On 7/19/2017 at 7:30 AM, RadTech said:

Hey! 

I don't have much to say about long-term experience, but here are a few thoughts:

The faculty here are really passionate, they are interested in YOU as a person and want you to succeed. I hardly know these people, but know I could count on them if I needed something.

My one reservation about MEDEX was first time PANCE pass rates, but I mentioned that in my interview and they told me everything that is in progress to improve their curriculum to help students pass the PANCE. That said, they are not only teaching you to pass a test, they are first teaching you to be an exceptional PA. More recent PANCE scores reflect their new focus on this.

MEDEX NW is the largest civilian PA program in the country, have a huge faculty:student ratio (about 1:6). They have been a school basically since the creation of the PA profession which brings a ton of resources and a huge network! You are assigned a specific faculty advisor who helps and coaches you along the way. 

I thought I never had a chance at a school of this caliber, but I am here and so happy that we chose each other! I am only 4 weeks in, so I have little insight, any other more specific questions?

Awesome response, this is just the kind of insight I was looking for. I expect any curriculum of high standing to be challenging, but it is the quality of the community and of the support and resources they can provide that I am most interested. Thank you! I am sure I will have questions for you in the future. Hope the first month went well, and good luck to the rest of your new journey!

Hello! I'm so excited to be starting this process with you all! Thanks for all the good information. This is my first time applying, so I don't have much to add. Tacoma and Anchorage are my two choices. Can't wait to hear about when everyone starts hearing back about interviews! Good luck to all!

9 hours ago, slsmedic13 said:

Hello! I'm so excited to be starting this process with you all! Thanks for all the good information. This is my first time applying, so I don't have much to add. Tacoma and Anchorage are my two choices. Can't wait to hear about when everyone starts hearing back about interviews! Good luck to all!

It's an exciting process. My wife has even tried talking me into becoming a PA when I retire from the Alaska Air National Guard :-) When you go  to your interview, be yourself! My wife was a second time applicant and I personally saw a 100% difference between the first and second time. She was more confident the second time, herself, social and more. Anchorage will do their interviews typically the first weekend in December. The notifications will go out in November, (I took leave both times to go down with her). If you have any questions about Anchorage/Alaska let me know. We live in the interior of Alaska but can answer any questions you have. *Not sure if your in Alaska*

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, kaestnerk said:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I expect any top-rated PA program to be rigorous as you describe here - to expect any less would be naive! I can see how it would be especially challenging for a mother with family, however, and it is a useful perspective for me to consider. Thank you for sharing, and the BEST of luck to your wife in her final year!

It will be challenging but once you get into a routine it goes by quickly. Some bring their family with them, others like us, stayed at home. I felt it would be easier (though harder in my wife's eyes) since I've deployed a few times and didn't want my wife to have to worry about spending time with us, doing things on the weekends etc. I let my kids know that mom's focus for a year was PA school and once she is back to start her rotations we can make up for the lost time. They were understanding, as much as a 5 year old and 9 year old at the time, could be. Though, others had their families with them and went out with them on the weekends etc and did fine as well. It's about finding that balance of study time/family time. Even MEDEX will say don't study to much, take breaks. I saw that near the end with my wife, she spent so much time studying, I had to talk her into going to do things with her class mates because they do cover a lot of material in a short time. 

21 hours ago, pa supportive husband said:

It will be challenging but once you get into a routine it goes by quickly. Some bring their family with them, others like us, stayed at home. I felt it would be easier (though harder in my wife's eyes) since I've deployed a few times and didn't want my wife to have to worry about spending time with us, doing things on the weekends etc. I let my kids know that mom's focus for a year was PA school and once she is back to start her rotations we can make up for the lost time. They were understanding, as much as a 5 year old and 9 year old at the time, could be. Though, others had their families with them and went out with them on the weekends etc and did fine as well. It's about finding that balance of study time/family time. Even MEDEX will say don't study to much, take breaks. I saw that near the end with my wife, she spent so much time studying, I had to talk her into going to do things with her class mates because they do cover a lot of material in a short time. 

I am happy to hear that MEDEX understands the importance of personal maintenance as well. An over-worked, tired, burnt-out PA student cannot perform to the best of his or her potential - at least, even if one is able to, it is not a sustainable lifestyle. Definitely will make sure to establish a good group of peers to hold each other accountable for both study and break periods. Thanks again for your advice!

10 hours ago, JHarp said:

Whose applying to the Anchorage location?

I applied for the Masters program... got the generic email that says I've met all their educational and clinical requirements... 

It will be a while until you hear. My wife and I didn't know until November that she would be interviewing in December. You will know about 3 weeks to a month prior. I recommend meeting up with other applicants the night prior. My wife and I did that both times and it helped her a lot *though I was the third wheel/driver lol*. She had a few of the people she met the night before in her interview session. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. My wife would get on here but she is working on her coursework before transition week but I can ask her anything specific that I don't know. 

23 hours ago, ladychels said:

Anyone hear anything yet about Seattle campus? Biting my nails everyday here! haha. 

I called them today just to enquire about the timeline and was told invites should start going out in early to mid September. Interviews are supposed to start in late September which is quickly approaching, and go all the way through January. The waiting game is agony! Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, fireman2241 said:

I called them today just to enquire about the timeline and was told invites should start going out in early to mid September. Interviews are supposed to start in late September which is quickly approaching, and go all the way through January. The waiting game is agony! Fingers crossed!

Didn't know you can call to check. Thank you! I can be calm for a couple weeks, I guess! 

Literally just got the e-mail offering me an invitation to the "Interview Conference" on 9/26. Soooooo excited! (FYI - this is my 4th time applying with MEDEX). I was a weak applicant the first year, interviewed the second year, didn't hear anything the third, and now interviewing in the first wave for this cycle. Never give up!

11 minutes ago, duhipna said:

Literally just got the e-mail offering me an invitation to the "Interview Conference" on 9/26. Soooooo excited! (FYI - this is my 4th time applying with MEDEX). I was a weak applicant the first year, interviewed the second year, didn't hear anything the third, and now interviewing in the first wave for this cycle. Never give up!

That's awesome! Congrats!! I'm a big believer that if you really want something you'll keep trying no matter how long it takes! When did you submit your app this cycle? 

26 minutes ago, duhipna said:

Awesome. What campus did you apply for? 

Just received my interview invite for Seattle. Feels so good to finally have some traction and feedback!

I applied early, had my CASPA and supplemental in before the end of May. 

Stats are as follows as it is a common question.

cGPA: 3.9

sGPA: 3.7

GRE: 146/154/4

11,000 hrs of HCE via Army Special Forces Medic for eight (operational) years.

As I said, I'm excited, this has been a long time in the making. Good luck to everyone waiting on invites and those that have received them already!

1 hour ago, duhipna said:

Congratulations!! Thank you for letting us know of your journey. Rejection can be so discouraging, but your story will definitely give a lot of people hope. And I'm going to repeat the questions here - when was your application verified and what campus? 

2 hours ago, duhipna said:

Hang in there, My wife didn't get in the first year and there wasn't much for her to work on as far as school, etc since she had over 5,000 hours. So she continued to work and at her second interview she got the call 2 days after the interview. She told me the professors spoke with her and they noticed a night and day difference between her first and second interview. She was more outgoing, talking to the other applicants, asking a lot of questions, more confidence since she knew how the day was going to go. The prior experience from the year prior interview really helped her. She says that her biggest advice is to be confidence and be yourself. Since this is your second year interviewing they want to see your confidence, hear what you did to improve etc.

9 minutes ago, slsmedic13 said:

Congrats all!!! How exciting!! When did you guys turn in your apps and what campus did you apply to?? Also does anyone know if you will get some kind of notification even if you don't get offered an interview? 

I got a rejection letter in the mail last year. So at least for me, it's either an e-mail invitation or a mailed rejection letter.

Archived