Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AB1106

New Grad Derm Offer Help/Advice Please

9 posts in this topic

Just looking for some advice about a new grad Derm offer living AZ.

The practice has 4 offices and great docs/PAs/Staff. 

Contract length is 1 year and 4 months including training 

-4-6 month training period with pay of $300/day (9 hour shifts) during training which is a lot of observation and some hands on.

-First year after training period= 70K base + 20% Bonus on collections over $180K

-Raises so far are only 1% increase per year of bonus. 

The shifts are 4 days per week at 9 hours per day: Working 36 hour work weeks. 

Benefits

-2 week PTO/sick

-Licensing Fee reimbursement 

-7 Holidays off

-Malpractice and Tail covered by Employer

-3 days CME, $1500

-Unsure about retirement 

-Decent HealhCare benefits for me and my family

The 2016 AAPA has 50% for New Grad Derm PA's at around 84K with 5K bonus so i feel like this offer is low, but i also don't want to be unreasonable. 

Thanks in Advance for the help. 

Where to begin. CME is low. Ask if it includes fees and dues, DeA. Registration for any conference cost $700-800.

PTO is low but you are young so may not need sick time as much.

Why training has to be so little. 300/day is $6000/month and after taxes you would be lucky if you have $3000 left. I dont know the cost of living in AZ but $3000 a month is way low.

Who is in charge of collection? Do they show you all the books? Patients per day?

I am definitely going to negotiate with them on the CME, But the rest of licensing is paid for. 

Im ok with the PTO, cause its only working 4 days a week

-My 2 big things are the low training salary, which they state because ill be only observing manly for 4 months and not making the practice anything.

-My other concern is the low 70K base.

Thanks for the advice, definitely have some negotiations to do. 

Pretty terrible offer tbh.

Base should be 85k min, 5 days for CME, training salary is abysmal (they should be willing to fully invest in you upfront with all the revenue and money you will bring to them in the future), plus the other details left out that were mentioned above.

Thats exactly what i was thinking, but didn't have experience with Derm so i just wanted to make sure when i make my counter I wasn't being unreasonable. 

Thanks a ton for the advice on this. 

Im going to counter with 85K base +20% collections. I'm willing to take a little less for training, but not that bad. 

4 month training. 400/9 hour shift would be like 44/hr for training. 

Another thing to consider:

Derm is hard to get into. Eating a low salary for a year might not be terrible because once you have experience you can make a move to a much better salary or renegotiate with them.

If they are hard set on the salary then work on getting the bonus threshold down to 2x your salary. Dermis probably the only field where eating a crappy contract for a year might be worth it

Hey,

I am curious how this turned out? any update? As a PA student about to start my clinicals, I am really considering derm. Thanks! 

I really hope OP didn't take this offer. One of my classmates just signed a new grad offer 97k + 25% of collection over 250k. Along with more PTO and CME. Also in Arizona. 

No i haven't taken the offer, still negotiating actually cause the original offer was so low. Thanks for the extra info though about your classmate.