2017-2018 Application Cycle

Hello everyone!

I am a current first year student at Emory and I'm just dropping in! I'm happy to try to answer some your questions! I'll try to pop in from time to time. I can't say (and also don't know) any specifics about the interview or questions that will be asked. But I'm happy to clarify the general process --just keep in mind that things change from year to year so what I experienced may not be exactly what will happen this year.

Best of luck to all you future PA-S's!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone interviewing Sept. 6th make arrangements to stay with a first year student Tuesday night? I was told my request was sent to a coordinator and I would hear back via email but I haven't heard anything yet. Have any of y'all gotten confirmation? I don't mind booking a hotel for the night, I just want to know if I need to. 

Thanks!!

I will be interviewing on October 20th, and look forward to continuing on in this process! I too was wondering about the option to stay with a first year student as it sounds like a great opporunity.  Has anyone taken advantage of this, and if so how was it?

Also, Pas123 thank you so much for being a part of this forum! Honesty, any advice would be extremely helpful such as what your interview experience was like as far as overall process and what to expect (group interviews, scenario versus individual based  focus for questions, etc.). Lastly, as a current student, what are some of the best and more difficult aspects now that you've begun the program?

Thanks,

Rylee

hollandr2@yahoo.com

8 minutes ago, preparona said:

Awesome! I was hoping I would find at least one or two people that have the same date as me. Are you staying with a student?

I am staying with a student on the 17th.  Are you?

I'm actually giving myself a little extra time so I'm flying in Saturday and spending that first night at a hotel.

Congrats on the interview!

2 minutes ago, famousamos31 said:

I am staying with a student on the 17th.  Are you?

I'm actually giving myself a little extra time so I'm flying in Saturday and spending that first night at a hotel.

Congrats on the interview!

I don't live too far from Atlanta so I'll be heading down that morning. I was interested in staying with a student, but I didn't want to take that option away from people that may be coming from out of state. Congrats to you, too! See you there! :) 

Hey guys! I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

1.     Staying with a student is awesome! It’s not necessary, but I stayed with a student and found it a great way to learn a little bit more about the school and the program before the interview. Plus, you get to talk to someone who has been in your shoes (which for me made me a little less nervous the morning of the interview).  Also, the student hosts volunteer to house interviewees so you are getting matched up to someone that truly wants to meet you and make you feel comfortable!

2.     I was also extremely nervous about it being a group interview, but I actually found it a lot less stressful because the focus wasn’t always on me. You should be prepared for any type of question—could be the same as other people or could be different. As with any interview, be yourself!

3.     As for the written part, I asked about this before my interview and I was told that it was a way to ensure that you actually wrote your own personal statement (instead of buying one online –apparently people do that!) Essentially, this is not a stressful part of the interview and I didn’t do anything special to prepare for it.

4.     I prepared for the interview by thinking through as many “interview” type questions as I could. I also had family members do mock interviews with me. If you’ve been through a lot of interviews in your life maybe you don’t need to do that but if you’ve been working at the same place for several years or are coming straight out of undergrad, it’s not a bad idea to go through a practice round with someone before the big day ?

5.     The most difficult thing about the program is time management. This is just how PA school is designed. Even if you think you are good managing your time, you’re not. There just aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything and it does feel overwhelming at times. Literally, I haven’t had power since 1pm today because of Irma and I have been studying anatomy by candlelight/flashlight for the past several hours because I don’t want to get behind. The first semester is the busiest, plus you are still adjusting to everything. That being said, we are all still happily chugging along!

6.     The best part about this program, is that I feel really supported here. The faculty want you to succeed and the class above you makes you feel welcome. You really do feel like you are part of a family here. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Archived