University of Detroit Mercy: 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Potatolife said:

Which program did you want? I thought you guys got to pick which one if you were of the first 35 called or something 

I have no idea how they place students. I want the 2 year program, I marked that as my preference on the CASPA app. They didn't ask me on my interview, but some of the students from last year said they got asked during the interview. If it's how you said about the first 35 called it'd be great, I was lucky to be part of that first group of people

For those of you applying to this program next cycle, I wanted to share with you some of my stats from this years application cycle:

I applied to 6 programs, I received one interview in which I was placed on the alternate list and then accepted off that list as well.

cGPA: 3.4 

sGPA:3.3

Pre req GPA: 3.85 (for UDM)

Post bac. GPA: 3.9

GRE:297

Volunteer hours - 150 (tutored at an after school program ages 5-12, gleaners community food bank, fish and loaves and a summer program for kids) 

Shadowing hours: 50 (geriatric PA and pediatrician)

Work experience: 3years PRN in long term care/rehab facility as well as my current job working for the state of Michigan at a psychiatric hospital (going on 3 years) 

*I honestly believe that UDM looks at the overall applicant! I feel like the type of work experience you obtain is what will set you a part in the applicant cycle. Programs look for diversity in their programs, not just cultural diversity but also by experience so make sure you work in areas that sets you a part from other applicants.** good luck!

8 hours ago, GotoPAschool said:

I have no idea how they place students. I want the 2 year program, I marked that as my preference on the CASPA app. They didn't ask me on my interview, but some of the students from last year said they got asked during the interview. If it's how you said about the first 35 called it'd be great, I was lucky to be part of that first group of people

How did you know that you were of the first people called? I am applying this cycle and I'm interested in the 3-year track. I just want to know what other applicants prefer, because I really want to do the 3-year track. Let us know which track you end up in :) 

16 hours ago, Potatolife said:

How did you know that you were of the first people called? I am applying this cycle and I'm interested in the 3-year track. I just want to know what other applicants prefer, because I really want to do the 3-year track. Let us know which track you end up in :) 

As far as 2 or 3 year programs, I put 3 year on my application and during my interview they asked me again, I confirmed 3. Then when they asked if I had any questions I asked how likely it was it that if I got accepted I would get the track I chose and they told me everybody typically gets what they requested. I also have friends in the program that told me you can switch with a student in the opposite track so if you get assigned to the 2-year and I the 3-year, we could switch if we both agreed. There just has to be a spot open to make the switch. 

6 minutes ago, HopingtobeaPA said:

Hi just got accepted to the 3 year program! Very exciting. I would love to do the 2 year program. Please let me know if anyone would like to switch 1f642.png:)

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm applying this year for the first time :) Also, did anyone use an editing service for their personal statement?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived