Tail coverage if covered by clinic malpractice

Hello all, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

New grad here. I just left a small clinic after four months because it wasn't a great environment in general (I won't get into details, but they were incredibly disorganized and the clinic was poorly run. Had I not had financial obligations, I would have left after about a month). While I was there, I was covered under the clinic's malpractice policy and didn't have a policy of my own. The clinic claimed I would be fine without the individual policy, but I'm trusting what the clinic said less and less. I believe their policy is claims made.

Here are my questions:

1. I don't have any suits filed against me. Can I get a retroactive individual policy? Can I go elsewhere or do I need to get it from the clinic's company?

2. How do I ensure that I continue to be covered if the clinic's policy is canceled? That's what I'm most nervous about. I have no idea if the clinic will remain open and I don't want to risk not having coverage. Is there any way I can find out if the coverage gets canceled?

3. What kind of information regarding the policy do I need to get from my former employer? Do I need a company and policy number on hand?

In retrospect, I probably should have done my research a bit better at first, but being a new grad I trusted my clinic and everyone who worked there as they're way more experienced than I am. However, after working there for a few months they seem to not always know what they're talking about.

Is it a bad idea to stay under my clinic's policy if I have a similar situation in the future? 

4 months as a new grad....

Just move on and don't worry about it...

But get your own insurance "occurrence" if you do not have it provided by employer.

CAN I get my own policy now since I didn't have one while I was there? I was just under the clinic's policy. Do I need to get the occurrence policy from the same company that they get theirs from?

Like I said, I wish I would have asked more questions in the beginning. Oh well, as of last week I'm gone now and move on to better things.

Since he/she didn't have an occurence policy at their old job, can't they just pickup a tail coverage for the 4 months they were there?  I was under the impression that this is possible after you left a job..... Because tail coverage is insurance against encounters that already happened.......

I was under the impression that if they cancel or change their policy, I'd be SOL if I didn't know about it. The statute of limitations here is four years so it's a long time with a lot of potential to be left exposed if the clinic closes. Hence why I'm trying to get a tail. :)

I think part of the reason I'm so nervous about this is the whole new grad thing. A lot of this is completely new to me and I'm not sure I made the best decision as far as practices go.

They never gave me a copy of the declaration page and they're being difficult to get the policy number and company out of. Is there anything else I can do? Most places it seems aren't willing to cover me without proof of past coverage.

Archived