2017-2018 cycle

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2017 at 2:32 PM, hperna said:

Will there still be more interviews offered?

The program interviews on an as-needed basis. Last year I received an invite for an interview in March for an interview date later that month. A few of my classmates interviewed later than me. I can't give you a definite answer, but in the past years, interviews have been offered past October. Hope this helps. Happy Halloween everyone! 

For those of you interviewing next Tuesday, November 7th, please send me a message if you’re interested in meeting a few first years in the program for an informal meet and greet the evening before your interview. It’s a busy week for us, but we would love to meet with whoever is interested at the Mare Island Brewing Company (about 5mins from campus) at 5:00pm on November 6th. This would be very informal and has nothing to do with your interview. It is more for you to ask us questions you may have about the program, what it's like to be a student etc. and meet some fellow interviewees so you aren’t as nervous on Tuesday. Message me if you’re interested. Thanks :)  

So I got a rejection email today....."Thank you for applying to the Joint MSPAS/MPH Program.  After careful review of your primary (CASPA) application, the Joint MSPAS/MPH Program Admissions Committee regrets to inform you that you have not been selected to progress in the admissions process.  We thank you for your time and interest in our program."

I dont want to sound too pretentious, but I feel like I have worked real hard for a chance to even do a supplemental app.

-- I submitted the CASPA app Sep 19, though I didnt get a verified email until Nov 2. I suppose I should have emailed them about this sooner.

-- cGPA 3.70

-- sGPA 3.50

-- Prior military with 7 years of work in 3rd world countries

-- Working as an MA in various areas of healthcare for 3+ years

-- LOR from 3 MDs and 1 teacher.

Was I too late to submit the app? Is it worth emailing them and asking if there was a mistake?

13 hours ago, HawaiianPA said:

So I got a rejection email today....."Thank you for applying to the Joint MSPAS/MPH Program.  After careful review of your primary (CASPA) application, the Joint MSPAS/MPH Program Admissions Committee regrets to inform you that you have not been selected to progress in the admissions process.  We thank you for your time and interest in our program."

I dont want to sound too pretentious, but I feel like I have worked real hard for a chance to even do a supplemental app.

-- I submitted the CASPA app Sep 19, though I didnt get a verified email until Nov 2. I suppose I should have emailed them about this sooner.

-- cGPA 3.70

-- sGPA 3.50

Was I too late to submit the app? Is it worth emailing them and asking if there was a mistake?

You could e-mail them and ask why they didn't send you a supplemental app. It doesn't hurt to ask. 

Do you have experience with the underserved? They really value that. 

14 hours ago, HawaiianPA said:

-- cGPA 3.70

-- sGPA 3.50

Same thing happened to me and my GPA stats are slightly higher than yours and I have 13,000 patient care hours, hundreds of hours working at a medical clinic in Haiti, 4 letters of Rec from MD's, PA's, and Professors, etc.  I was honestly shocked I didn't get an interview so I replied back to Ms. Bible and asked why specifically was I denied so I know how to improve if I have to re-apply next year.  Her response is that my A&P classes are "too old".  Touro is very specific on classes being current.  Unfortunately I'm not a traditional student who went to college straight out of high school knowing I was going to be a PA.  I've been going to college for 13 years to obtain my Bachelor's degree while working full time so my classes have been spaced apart.  Maybe this could be the case with you?  Either way, there are so many other schools in CA that DON'T care how old your classes are and they take into account people who have, like me, been in the healthcare field for a decade and have kept up on my A&P knowledge.  Doesn't hurt to email them back and ask.

Got a call earlier today from Grace with an acceptance! I AM OVER THE MOON!!! This was my favorite interview experience thus far. The faculty were incredibly welcoming and friendly. They really made the effort to make sure the interviewees were not anxious/nervous so that they could really get to know the REAL you. And that made this interview really stand out to me. 

PS i was in interview group C

On 11/10/2017 at 5:20 PM, WildcatPA said:

Just received my acceptance about an hour ago from Grace! I interviewed on Tuesday and I’m beyond excited to be joining the program next year. The interview experience was wonderful and all of the students were so welcoming and informative. 

Which interview group were you in?

I received my acceptance call from Grace Friday evening as well. I am over the moon and still in complete shock. The interview experience was amazing and I cannot believe I get to attend TUC's program. I am so excited and honored to begin this journey. I can't wait to meet you, fellow classmates :) 

1 hour ago, Bonist55 said:

I appplied to this program at the end of August and just received a denial of interview email because my A&P classes were "too old".  Maybe check the ages of all of your science classes.  They can't be older than 4 years (5 years at time of matriculation). 

Thanks! I will have to check that 

1 hour ago, modernlily16 said:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is the class full? Are they still interviewing?

I reached out to Naisha asking about the status of my app and she said it's being reviewed currently and has no update.. 

At our interview last week 11/7, they told us they are still planning on having multiple interview sessions for the rest of 2017 & 2018 as well.

1 hour ago, rachelledude said:

For those of you that have been accepted, would you guys mind sharing any tips or advice for the candidates going to the next interview on the 28th. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated:) 

thanks!! 

BE YOURSELF!! I know everyone says this and it is so cliché.. but seriously it works. I got waitlisted at two other schools and I prepped so hard for those. I didn't prep at all for Touro and I got accepted right away. Of course I went over some concepts in my head and reviewed my application/supplemental. But they seriously want you at your natural best so give them that! good luck :)

54 minutes ago, anam828 said:

BE YOURSELF!! I know everyone says this and it is so cliché.. but seriously it works. I got waitlisted at two other schools and I prepped so hard for those. I didn't prep at all for Touro and I got accepted right away. Of course I went over some concepts in my head and reviewed my application/supplemental. But they seriously want you at your natural best so give them that! good luck :)

Awesome! :)) thank you so much!! I hope to soon be in your shoes! :) 

On November 13, 2017 at 6:02 PM, PAhopeful04 said:

I submitted my application end of August. I have yet to receive a secondary. Does anyone know what the delay could be? I havnt received any emails from them. I called to ask but they said for me to just wait until my application is reviewed but it looks like people who submitted later then me have heard back something. Any idea as to what I could do next? More concerned because I interviewed/waitlisted last year here 

I'm soo sorry. I honestly have no clue. Did you go back through your application to make sure everything was sent and paid for? Go onto their application portal where you submit the supplemental and verify that it processed?  

52 minutes ago, penguinapple said:

Hey! I was wondering if anyone who already interviewed can give some feedback on how the day went? What was the timeline like? Were you interviewed by mostly faculty or students? 

Also how did you get to touro? Did you rent a car or uber? 

Thanks!! :) 

It depends on where you are planning on staying.  If your hotel is in Vallejo, Lyft/Uber would be economical, otherwise probably not so much.  Also, there isn't much in the way of timely public transit into Vallejo, from any direction.  I assume you're flying in?  From SFO or OAK you could do a combination of BART + bus, probably like 2.5-3 hours.  If you opt to rent a car, SFO, OAK, and SMF are all pretty much equidistant from Vallejo and SMF could reduce your time in traffic, depending on time of day.  

For anyone interviewing on Nov. 28, I’ll be renting a car and staying at a hotel in American Canyon just about 20 mins north of the school. I’d be happy to pick up anyone who’s on the way (American Canyon, Vallejo or anywhere in between) that wants a ride that morning!

10 minutes ago, mtb45 said:

For anyone interviewing on Nov. 28, I’ll be renting a car and staying at a hotel in American Canyon just about 20 mins north of the school. I’d be happy to pick up anyone who’s on the way (American Canyon, Vallejo or anywhere in between) that wants a ride that morning!

I booked a hotel in American Canyon too, I'll be staying in Fairfield Inn. We can head out to the interview together :) because I don't know where to park or where the building is

5 minutes ago, janee said:

I booked a hotel in American Canyon too, I'll be staying in Fairfield Inn. We can head out to the interview together :) because I don't know where to park or where the building is

Also staying at Fairfield inn! I was here last year so I have a good idea, once we get on the island it gets a little confusing I remember. I’ll message you!

Archived