2017-2018 Cycle

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Leelanau16 said:

I interviewed on 8/4 :)

17 hours ago, kelzie said:

Interviewed 8/4 and just received my acceptance email! I still have to interview at a school that's closer to me, but I absolutely love this program, so I am extremely excited!=)

Congrats guys!  I got accepted yesterday as well!  Thanks again for your advice for the interview.  Staying calm and being myself was the best way to go as you guys advised!  :)

On 8/31/2017 at 4:46 PM, HollyMariola said:

I submitted 7/27, received an interview invite on 8/2, and my interview is September 15! Any tips for MMI would be appreciated! :)

Hello - If you read the advice I was given, I couldn't agree with them more.  I interviewed a few days ago, and I do agree it is tough to prepare for the types of questions you will get.  You will rotate between several mini interviews, which will go by very quickly.  However, the questions aren't necessarily difficult and the interviewers are friendly overall.  They are mostly situational and opinion-based questions.  In my opinion, they are just trying to gauge how well of a communicator you are, the type of person you are overall, your level of maturity, how poised you are under pressure, and how well you can think critically on the spot.  My advice, (in addition to the advice given to me), is to practice common interview questions and do a mock interview with a friend/peer/mentor if you can, just so you get comfortable answering questions and aren't as nervous when you get to the actual MMI.  I did a mock interview with a friend the night before the interview, and while none of the exact questions I practiced came up, this practice got me to start thinking about how to answer interview questions, and helped me assess myself in terms of my character, my past experiences and what I learned from them, and me as an applicant, student and person overall.  It also gave me more confidence when it was time for the actual interview.  

Be positive, confident and have a genuine smile on your face! As nerve-wrecking as it can potentially be, stay calm and try to enjoy the process (as silly as that may sound).  You made it this far because they know you have the potential to do well in their program.  Be yourself, be honest and genuine, and ask yourself: what do you want the interviewers to know about you?  What about your character and personal experiences makes you right for PA school and caring for others in the broader sense?  If you happen to get stuck, this mind frame will help keep you on track in these conversations.  

Best of luck tomorrow!  You got this! 

5 hours ago, bullsfan said:

Hello - If you read the advice I was given, I couldn't agree with them more.  I interviewed a few days ago, and I do agree it is tough to prepare for the types of questions you will get.  You will rotate between several mini interviews, which will go by very quickly.  However, the questions aren't necessarily difficult and the interviewers are friendly overall.  They are mostly situational and opinion-based questions.  In my opinion, they are just trying to gauge how well of a communicator you are, the type of person you are overall, your level of maturity, how poised you are under pressure, and how well you can think critically on the spot.  My advice, (in addition to the advice given to me), is to practice common interview questions and do a mock interview with a friend/peer/mentor if you can, just so you get comfortable answering questions and aren't as nervous when you get to the actual MMI.  I did a mock interview with a friend the night before the interview, and while none of the exact questions I practiced came up, this practice got me to start thinking about how to answer interview questions, and helped me assess myself in terms of my character, my past experiences and what I learned from them, and me as an applicant, student and person overall.  It also gave me more confidence when it was time for the actual interview.  

Be positive, confident and have a genuine smile on your face! As nerve-wrecking as it can potentially be, stay calm and try to enjoy the process (as silly as that may sound).  You made it this far because they know you have the potential to do well in their program.  Be yourself, be honest and genuine, and ask yourself: what do you want the interviewers to know about you?  What about your character and personal experiences makes you right for PA school and caring for others in the broader sense?  If you happen to get stuck, this mind frame will help keep you on track in these conversations.  

Best of luck tomorrow!  You got this! 

Thank you so much for all of this great advice! I definitely have been preparing a lot, even though I know it won't help much with MMI. I have been focusing on my strengths and experiences, and really thinking about why I would make a great PA. 

I saw you posted that you got accepted- I am wondering how long after your interview they let you know of your acceptance? 

On 9/14/2017 at 4:09 PM, HollyMariola said:

Thank you so much for all of this great advice! I definitely have been preparing a lot, even though I know it won't help much with MMI. I have been focusing on my strengths and experiences, and really thinking about why I would make a great PA. 

I saw you posted that you got accepted- I am wondering how long after your interview they let you know of your acceptance? 

No problem, glad I could help! 

I interviewed this past Tuesday 9/12, and got accepted yesterday, 9/13, although they said they typically let applicants know 8-10 weeks after the interview.  

6 hours ago, BriGuy said:

For those who have gotten an acceptance- are you finding this out via your normal email? Or did you find out some other way like a school email/ the portal account? 

I have not been accepted, but at my interview they said they'll notify you of acceptance via the email you entered into CASPA. If you are waitlisted you will not receive an email, but your status will be updated in your MWU account!

16 minutes ago, Jen04 said:

I have an interview for October 10. Has anyone had an MMI? Any advice on possible questions? Especially if you've already interviewed with Midwestern. This is my first interview and I am very nervous about this interview process. 

I recently interviewed at Midwestern! It's impossible to not be nervous, but as soon as I walked in the building I felt instantly relieved. They're very welcoming and friendly, and the MMI process was actually pretty fun. The questions are mostly opinion based or asking your thoughts on a hypothetical scenario, and some were more challenging than others. I was a little shaky for my first station, but as I went on I became more comfortable and excited to have an interesting discussion with the interviewer. Just be yourself and try to answer the questions genuinely, good luck! :)

13 minutes ago, mvick1590 said:

Thank you for this. I have my interview tomorrow and although I am excited, I am incredibly nervous.  I think the MMI process is very beneficial to the admissions committee in getting to know the applicant better but is definitely hard as an applicant as it seems impossible to prepare for! Did you do anything to prepare for your interview that helped you? I have been reading over some situational and ethical questions but other than that haven't done a whole lot. 

The nice thing about the MMI is that even if you weren't super confident or strong in one station, you can put it behind you and start fresh. In my first station I look back and feel that I may have given a generic answer, and was trying to tell the interviewer what they wanted to hear. From that point I was sure to just give an honest response and tell my true thoughts on the topic. I think reviewing MMI practice questions was helpful just because it allowed me to organize my thoughts and look at situations from multiple angles. I also reflected a lot on my healthcare and academic experiences just to kind of get in that mindset. I agree with the other pieces of advise on this thread that they really just want to get to know you as a person, and see how you communicate and think. Be friendly and ask lots of questions and you'll be fine! 

19 minutes ago, HollyMariola said:

The nice thing about the MMI is that even if you weren't super confident or strong in one station, you can put it behind you and start fresh. In my first station I look back and feel that I may have given a generic answer, and was trying to tell the interviewer what they wanted to hear. From that point I was sure to just give an honest response and tell my true thoughts on the topic. I think reviewing MMI practice questions was helpful just because it allowed me to organize my thoughts and look at situations from multiple angles. I also reflected a lot on my healthcare and academic experiences just to kind of get in that mindset. I agree with the other pieces of advise on this thread that they really just want to get to know you as a person, and see how you communicate and think. Be friendly and ask lots of questions and you'll be fine! 

Thank you! That helps a lot! Hope you hear good news soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived