2017-2018 Cycle

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tjl2888 said:

How do you receive an invite? Is the notification emailed to you or do you have to frequently check our Midwestern portal?

I received an email first and then checked my portal which also had a notification. At the portal I was given 3 dates to choose from for the interview! 

On 8/15/2017 at 9:06 PM, kelachris said:

Hey! Sorry I can't really give you advice there. They changed the format this year so I can't really say. And I didn't interview in any schools that used that format. I don't know if this will help or not, but I think what got me in was when I told them what I would do if I was struggling academically. I'm not sure if that kind of question will come up again. I just remember that question a lot because they really stressed that in orientation. They aren't looking for perfect people (although I guess that will get you in!) but people who know how and when to change tactics, and who have done so successfully before. Remember, they're looking for people that they believe will stick with the program.

Again, not sure if that will come up in the MMI. Also, I believe I'll be there on Aug 28 as well! Maybe I'll see you! Good luck!

Thank you for the info! I'll keep that in mind going into this interview. I'll keep an eye out for you. What is your name? 

1 hour ago, gopherpig said:

They were all very nice! Everyone is great - you'll feel very comfortable throughout the process!

I agree! Everyone was very welcoming and friendly throughout the interview day. The MMI was actually enjoyable and almost everyone was smiling at the end! :D Still haven't received any post-interview updates via email or the portal. Fingers crossed and good luck! :) 

On 6/22/2017 at 0:17 PM, kelzie said:

Submitted 5/17, file complete email 5/19, interview invite today (6/22) for either 8/4 or 8/7 (I have to check the PTO calendar at work before I can decide which date will work best). Extremely excited since this is one of my top choices and my first interview!

Anyone have any advice for the MMI format?

Update: scheduled for the 8/4 date =)

Hey kelzie - I'm scheduled to interview on September 12th and am super nervous.  Since you've already interviewed on 8/4, if at all possible, would you be able to provide any insight for the interview?  What type of questions should I prepare for?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, bullsfan said:

Also for anyone else that has interviewed already, any advice would be fantastic.  Thanks a ton!

Congrats on your interview invitation! :D The interview was very relaxed. The questions were interesting and led to some really great conversations with my interviewers. This was my second MMI interview and I was surprised with how much more I enjoyed the MMI experience at MWU. The interviewers smiled, asked questions, and really just wanted to get to know me & how I think. I practiced verbalizing responses and studied some ethical scenarios prior to the interview, but I don't think it helped that much tbh. I know everyone tells you to "be yourself" and as cliche as it is: I agree! By doing so, I felt more comfortable and was able to personalize my responses by incorporating past experiences. Good Luck! :)

7 hours ago, bullsfan said:

Hey kelzie - I'm scheduled to interview on September 12th and am super nervous.  Since you've already interviewed on 8/4, if at all possible, would you be able to provide any insight for the interview?  What type of questions should I prepare for?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leelanau beat me to it; my experience was very similar to their's. There wasn't really any way to prepare for the questions, I had looked at practice mmi questions online, however MWUs were a bit different and more relaxed than the practice ones I encountered. Really just go into it being yourself, most of the questions ask either your opinion or what you would do in a specific situation. They had additional questions to ask to discuss the situation with different twists or for more detail, so you didn't have to talk for 8 minutes straight about the single prompt. All of the interviewers were very personable and in many of the interviews, we were talking right up until time was called. Sometimes they'd actually keep talking a little bit such as when they were really interested in a life experience I had brought up. 

I think the atmosphere was especially friendly since most of the interviewees arrived early and we all socialized a bit before check in -it really helped to calm the nerves and created an overall positive energy, so don't be afraid to make a couple friends if you get there early!=) 

19 hours ago, kelzie said:

Leelanau beat me to it; my experience was very similar to their's. There wasn't really any way to prepare for the questions, I had looked at practice mmi questions online, however MWUs were a bit different and more relaxed than the practice ones I encountered. Really just go into it being yourself, most of the questions ask either your opinion or what you would do in a specific situation. They had additional questions to ask to discuss the situation with different twists or for more detail, so you didn't have to talk for 8 minutes straight about the single prompt. All of the interviewers were very personable and in many of the interviews, we were talking right up until time was called. Sometimes they'd actually keep talking a little bit such as when they were really interested in a life experience I had brought up. 

I think the atmosphere was especially friendly since most of the interviewees arrived early and we all socialized a bit before check in -it really helped to calm the nerves and created an overall positive energy, so don't be afraid to make a couple friends if you get there early!=) 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:29 PM, Leelanau16 said:

Congrats on your interview invitation! :D The interview was very relaxed. The questions were interesting and led to some really great conversations with my interviewers. This was my second MMI interview and I was surprised with how much more I enjoyed the MMI experience at MWU. The interviewers smiled, asked questions, and really just wanted to get to know me & how I think. I practiced verbalizing responses and studied some ethical scenarios prior to the interview, but I don't think it helped that much tbh. I know everyone tells you to "be yourself" and as cliche as it is: I agree! By doing so, I felt more comfortable and was able to personalize my responses by incorporating past experiences. Good Luck! :)

Thank you guys for your quick responses. I really appreciate the advice!  It's awesome to here about the positive experiences with the interviewers.  Makes me feel more at ease hearing that.  

Submitted 08/25... Late, I know, but thought I'd give it a try. 

PCE: 2,378 hrs (EMT, CNA, volunteer first responder, first aid provider for kids camp)

HCE: 162 hrs, Shadow: 50 hrs, Research: 192 hrs

GRE: Verbal 155 (69th percentile), Quant. 159 (73rd percentile), Writing 4 (60th percentile)

GPA: overall 3.89    science 3.84

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pastudent2020 said:

Anyone receive an admission decision? 

2 minutes ago, PAstudent50 said:

Not yet. Trying to wait patiently but keep checking my e-mail a million times. haha

Nothing yet. I'm in the same boat- I check every day at least 20 times haha. At my interview they said we should expect 8-10 weeks to hear a decision- and that if you hadn't heard from them after the 10 week mark that you could contact admissions. I have a feeling it won't take 8-10 weeks. They meet once per month to review all candidates from the previous month and decisions are sent out to applicants the day they make decisions. Hope they let us know soon!! Good luck! 

I have an interview at Midwestern soon and I was wondering what the opportunities for doing clinical rotations out of state are. I emailed their admissions and they said the core rotations would be in state but that elective clinical rotations could be out of state and the school would help set these up. I'm from the area but was weighing staying in state or, if I wanted to go and live out of state, saving up money and doing PA school here then doing elective rotations out of state. Midwestern has a good reputation and, I assume, many national connections from which elective rotations could be set up. If a current or past (or even a applicant with knowledge on the matter) could reply that'd be great!

45 minutes ago, Dizzy96 said:

I have an interview at Midwestern soon and I was wondering what the opportunities for doing clinical rotations out of state are. I emailed their admissions and they said the core rotations would be in state but that elective clinical rotations could be out of state and the school would help set these up. I'm from the area but was weighing staying in state or, if I wanted to go and live out of state, saving up money and doing PA school here then doing elective rotations out of state. Midwestern has a good reputation and, I assume, many national connections from which elective rotations could be set up. If a current or past (or even a applicant with knowledge on the matter) could reply that'd be great!

They will go over that in a presentation after your interview and tour- but from what I gathered on my interview day, that is correct. They will try to work with you on elective rotations. I remember the director of the program said that Midwestern has great connections- and could work in any state in the US. The only caveat though, is the availability of rotations, so you may be able to go to any state theoretically, but it depends on if there's room/logistics etc. But they said they would work with you, which is awesome!

They don't do any rotations out of the country, however, because their mission is to impact the primary care shortage in the United States and don't feel rotations out of the country will help contribute to that.

Hope this helps!

Archived