ED Job Opinions

I have come to a turning point in my career and need advice, but I will try to summarize efficiently.

I currently have a rural job where I work in the clinic and ED/hospital of 2 different facilities.  Same day/ED during the day and call during the night.  It is close to home (one facility is 3 minutes and the other is 50).  I love my coworkers and have good support, and spend most of my time practicing solo doing whatever it is you do in a normal ED.  

The bad thing is I make 45/hr at this facility during the day, and 300/12 hr night call shift, or 600 for a 24 hr call shift in the weekend.  Sometimes this is a good deal, sometimes not so much. I end up making about 120/year, but work 4 10's, plus 5 nights of call a month and one full weekend (48 hrs) a month.

The other option that has come up is this:

24 hr shifts in a rural ED 3 hours away making 70/hr.  Sounds like it is low volume (5-20 / day).

I would work 2 24's a week with a 12 hr break in between.

Have no idea what the staff or colleagues are like.

Assume benefits at both places are the same and no travel stipend is provided.

Which would you pick?  I am torn...

Thanks

While the new job is several hours away, you could do your shifts back to back and go home after. If you need to pay for a hotel or rent a room, its a tax deduction. Along with that higher hourly pay, you'd end up making more money and sounds like you'd be home more.

Archived