2017-2018 Application Cycle

On 9/6/2017 at 2:41 PM, SunDevil said:

@Shelby89 I actually interviewed last year and got waitlisted! I was accepted this year. I was born and raised in AZ and Midwestern was my number one choice! My nerves definitely got the better of me last year and I don't even remember what questions they asked me or how I answered the questions! After the interview was over, I realized that I made it a lot more intimidating than it actually was! My biggest advice is to just relax, be yourself, be present in the interview and be conscious of what you're saying! Know why you want to be a PA (without bashing other healthcare professions) and why you want to go to Midwestern specifically! They don't ask any off-the-wall questions like "if you could be any color, what would you be?"... the questions are pretty straight forward! And they only ask you a handful of questions, I left feeling like I actually wanted them to ask me more because I had so much more I wanted to tell them! However, the purpose of the interview is for them to get to know you as a person, make sure you are personable and friendly and that you are serious about pursuing the PA profession.... don't let your nerves get in the way of letting your best self shine through! The faculty and current students are VERY friendly and really try to make you feel comfortable. I went into this interview thinking of it more as a conversation which made me relax a little and I think it made a big difference! Good luck, you will all do great :)

This is probably the best advice I've read so far! Everyone I've asked for advice from said to just be myself and be positive. I think if you are yourself your true passion and enthusiasm will shine through. My interview is in the morning and I am so excited!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/18/2017 at 1:35 AM, mt0701 said:

For those that have interviewed or if anyone knows, do the PA students take anatomy with the Med/PT students at the Glendale campus like they do at the Downer's Grove campus?

Hi! Just to confirm - yes, anatomy is with PTs and CRNAs. So is physiology. Biochem is also with CRNAs. Basic sciences tend to be with other programs, whereas clinical classes tend to be PA-specific.

Anyone from out-of-state receive an interview email yet? I'm from California and I emailed them following up on my verified application back in 7/18. They're still reviewing as of now apparently. 
I am from Orange County, CA. Got confirmation email on 7/14, invited for interview on 7/19, interviewed on 8/4 and accepted 8/7. Good luck :)

2 hours ago, leeguyuh said:

Anyone from out-of-state receive an interview email yet? I'm from California and I emailed them following up on my verified application back in 7/18. They're still reviewing as of now apparently. 

Most of the candidates at the interview on 8/4 were from out of state. 

3 minutes ago, katieo said:

Shelby! That happened to me too! But I don't know if it was there before I don't remember! I still haven't been emailed! What does it mean?!?! Ah!!!!!

Based on previous messages in this thread, I'm assuming it means accepted! People from a few weeks ago said the same thing and then they got a e-mail/ phone call and for those who were waitlisted they did not see a change

If you click on the "Accepted Student Checklist" and a list of items show up (like needing transcripts from your previous schools, submitting the matriculation payment, etc) it means you were accepted! Congratulations, it only shows up for those accepted!! Before my interview, if I clicked on the link it would say "This item is only available to students who have been accepted"! Another way to make it seem more real/official is to click on the Matriculation Agreement link and it will say  something like "The College of Health Sciences hereby offers to admit (Your Name) to the MSPA program Class of 2020"! That's  what really made it feel real for me :) I look forward to meeting you all in June! 

Thanks for the info! It does show a list of items to check off under the accepted students checklist, but he matriculation agreement link says something like it's processing and to check tomorrow? I guess I'm 99% sure this is real and not an accident at this point! I'll know more tomorrow hopefully! Thank you for your help!

2 minutes ago, katieo said:

Thanks for the info! It does show a list of items to check off under the accepted students checklist, but he matriculation agreement link says something like it's processing and to check tomorrow? I guess I'm 99% sure this is real and not an accident at this point! I'll know more tomorrow hopefully! Thank you for your help!

mine is the same! but it does give the option to decline, so it *must* be real! During our interview they did specifically say that admissions has to process everything, and it may take a day or two.

21 hours ago, Aivlys89 said:

I interviewed on 9/8/17.  Nothing has changed on my portal except some things on my Applicant Checklist.  I feel like my interview did not go very well.  Oh well.  I'm happy I was offered an interview at least.

yep feeling exactly the same way, no change on my portal, hoping maybe I'm on the wait list instead, but I'm thankful for the opportunity

17 hours ago, MyNameWasUsed said:

Hi all, I'm pretty late to this thread but feel free to ask any questions you got. I'm a current PA student at MWU. 

For those who got waitlisted, a decent amount of people from my class were off the waitlist so dont lose hope! If I have to guess, I would say 20-30%

Thanks!  Gives me more hope :)

7 minutes ago, ecolvard said:

I'm in NC and haven't heard from them either. I know some schools interview in-state applicants first…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was someone from IL, one from KS, a few from pac-northwest area and Colorado but mostly Arizona and California in my interview group. If you look at the stats for the last class, they do say it's mostly CA and AZ residents. I moved from California to Arizona and I will say it's difficult to acclimate to the heat, and I can see it as a deterrent for a lot of candidates. If/when you are invited to an interview, my advice is to dress business professional regardless of the temperature outside. Arizona is not as casual as California, and the AC is always on full blast inside and you can always spot the non-resident because they are wearing a tank top or no jacket which you kinda can't do even if it's 110. Just keep telling yourself "it's a dry heat" :) in my small group they actually asked each of us about the heat and if we can handle it, but that might have been because I was with 2 PAC northwest people :) 

42 minutes ago, rm6GT said:

Has anyone from the East coast heard back yet? I'm from GA and unfortunately I haven't received an interview invite. I verified in late May.

I live in Miami. I was verified late June, heard back from Midwestern in late July, interviewed late August, got a waitlist letter in the mail shortly after.

I live in the valley and just got my letter from them. I made the waitlist! So fingers crossed I get a phone call soon! I would just like to point out to anyone who makes the waitlist that Midwestern is a top 10 PA school. At the interview someone estimated that only 10-15% of applicants even got an interview. So if you interviewed and got waitlisted or even rejected just hold your head high and keep at it. 

Archived