Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paapp123

Derm Position - Analyze Offer

2 posts in this topic

Can someone help me analyze this offer. Dermatology position as a new grad. Practice thats in the NYC area (several offices in different locations in the NYC and the surrounding area). There is a 8-10 month training program/residency that seems very structured - one day a week is didactic, the rest is clinical work in the private practice and also one day a week at a free clinic. Tests and quizzes weekly along with a comprehensive exam. Guaranteed a position once the training program is completed, but can be ANY of the offices (wherever there is an opening they send you).

50k a year for the training period of 8-10 months. This is followed by a three year contract starting at 100k for first year base salary, 110k second year, 125k third year. There are bonus incentives. First year it is 20% of collections once you exceed 125k for the fiscal year, second year also 20% after exceeding 137,500 and third year is 20% after exceeding 156,250. $2000 CME credit per year, 15 days vacation time a year with 2 days for CME (so really 17). Full malpractice and benefit coverage.

Cons:

- Three year contract and if you break the contract before three years AFTER the training period, you have to pay a $50k fee (aka the fee for your training period)

- Do not know what office you're going to be working in (wouldn't want to be traveling to Queens or Long Island), but maybe I can get them to change this and let me know beforehand in my contract

I started in primary care in 2010 near NYC, my first offers were only in 70-80 range as a new grad. This sounds like a very high paying position, and one that trains you for the specialized work you are going into. Dermatology is not a easy field, yet has some of the greatest earning potential and great lifestyle too!

I say go for it, do the commute if neccessary, but make sure you love derm first!