I currently work locum tenens with CompHealth.  I am a W2 employee and receive benefits, including health insurance, through them.  I would like to branch out and work with other companies as an independent contractor, but I am absolutely bewildered by obtaining health insurance on my own.  From what I've researched, 'Obamacare' is linked to the states. I am a resident of Texas, so I can't imagine how it does me any good to only be able to see providers in Texas when I'm on assignment in Arizona!  Do people who take this option count on just seeing their PCP when they are home and otherwise use their health insurance for emergency only while they are on assignment?  Are there plans that aren't state-linked?

Cobra is outrageous, don't suggest it.

I am not married, so spouse insurance is not an option.

What are others doing to tackle this problem?  What other companies offer a health insurance option?

I have a healthshare policy through Liberty. Covers preventative care and 100% after $1000. You do typically have to wait for a reimbursement and it is subject to pre-existing conditions but for me it's totally fine since it's just for me and I don't have any health issues. I pay less than $200 a month. It does qualify for the insurance mandate for taxes.

Archived