VIRGINIA: South University - Richmond 2017-2018 cycle

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that South university's owner company has been placed on probation due to financial issues.  Because south university is included within the company's ownership, they have also been flagged as being on probation despite never experiencing financial issues themselves.  The status will be reviewed again as of December 2017.   I have heard that south may be purchased by a different organization that will qualify them as not-for-profit school, and is likely to make south university's probation status go away. 

Just for clarification for anyone who isn't sure, this is referring to the University itself, not the accreditation of the PA program (at this point, without more information, I think the latter would be safer) One article states there is a plan for South to be purchased, but it's a long process. I'm not sure how this would affect the Richmond campus in the long run. It appears to be a result of the constant addition of degree programs that aren't as successful. I can only assume and hope that this is not a problem to be concerned with as it was not discussed with us in the interview (while they brought up the reasoning behind having an interim program director) and there hasn't been many news articles, so nothing to show it's not being dealt with. 

Does anyone know when this deal with the other organization may occur and when it would be concluded? There seems to be a real cloud over this topic. If South University is going to go under a second review this December for its probation status- weeks before the new cohort starts- I would assume the business purchase would likely occur sometime thereafter in 2018. I'm not sure about the implications of having an entirely new financial parent organization and structure on university accreditation - never mind ARC-PA accreditation. It seems like a really turbulent and uncertain time for the university overall...

The problem will be if the university itself is no longer financially backed. The PA program is sound, but if the university can't continue, neither can the program. That's my understanding at least. I'm still looking into it and might try to make some calls next week to see if they can provide any information. 

21 minutes ago, PAB912 said:

It's very casual. They ask questions and you have a chance to ask questions. No activity. They called it a group panel. It wasn't intense like other group interviews I've seen. The questions were very much just trying to get to know your personality. 

Thank you so much! So it was a panel, not you within a group of students interviewing with you?? 

Our groups were 2 faculty, 5 applicants. Just be prepared with good questions of your own. Sorry, the wording is deceiving. I'm just saying what they called it. It's not you in front of a group of them though. It felt more like the opposite. The interview itself is just 1 on 1. The rest of the day is pretty relaxed. You'll get to learn a lot about the facility and current students. You get more than enough time for the essay also. Nothing to stress about. It was definitely one of my most comfortable interviews.

6 minutes ago, PAB912 said:

Our groups were 2 faculty, 5 applicants. Just be prepared with good questions of your own. Sorry, the wording is deceiving. I'm just saying what they called it. It's not you in front of a group of them though. It felt more like the opposite. The interview itself is just 1 on 1. The rest of the day is pretty relaxed. You'll get to learn a lot about the facility and current students. You get more than enough time for the essay also. Nothing to stress about. It was definitely one of my most comfortable interviews.

Thank you for the info! Very excited. I am just nervous about sounding stupid in front of other applicants, or not being able to answer what I want for fear of saying something too personal in front of them. I think I am just worrying more than I should be. 

The faculty and students are very welcoming. Don't be nervous, and you certainly shouldn't care what other applicants think of you. Ask whatever questions you  feel are necessary. Just be you. Review your application from CASPA. My one on one knew my application in and out. Good luck and hope see you in January. 

45 minutes ago, aematson said:

Thank you for the info! Very excited. I am just nervous about sounding stupid in front of other applicants, or not being able to answer what I want for fear of saying something too personal in front of them. I think I am just worrying more than I should be. 

Never fear saying something in front of other applicants. We all have our personal experiences. Some deeper than others, but we are all trying as hard as we can to show that we can be successful as a PA. If you think what you can share will help show the adcom you are a qualified individual, then go for it. Obviously don't say you are a drug dealer on the side or something, but you know what I mean. Maybe I'm an idealist though. I would rather be who I am than fake it and make it. 

33 minutes ago, CarolineJ said:

Great meeting everyone who interviewed today! Thanks to those who commented on the interview process and other details of the day - super accurate and helpful. Hoping to hear back in the next 1-2 weeks! 

Nice to meet everyone!! It was a fun day and looking forward to hearing back. Good luck to you all!

Also if anyone has any questions about the academic probation, I can assure you, you should not be concerned. If you have any questions at all PLEASE contact our Dean, he is very wiling and happy to answer and questions that you might have. I have seen some speculation about it, so he is a reliable source to get information from.

Jason Crittenden - Dean of Academic Affairs/Acting IT program Director (804-727-6864).

How does interview format work? I heard its one on one interview, group interview, and essay - is that correct? My interview is October 13th, so I just wanted to make sure. Also, is the essay a typical 5 paragraph response or could it be less?

Congrats to all candidates that got accepted!

16 minutes ago, pa17 said:

How does interview format work? I heard its one on one interview, group interview, and essay - is that correct? My interview is October 13th, so I just wanted to make sure. Also, is the essay a typical 5 paragraph response or could it be less?

Congrats to all candidates that got accepted!

Hello! My interview was august 25, and it was awesome. The process goes very quickly. It was a one on one, group panel and an essay. The essay was very simple, not sure if they keep it the same for every session but it was one question. Good luck!

Archived