Hi!

I am a soon-to-be grad and I just received an ED offer. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

$65/hour base pay (128h/month min) with RVU additionally up to $20/hour.

1.5x base on holidays.

401k with 5% match. 

Partial health insurance coverage.

1500 CME

Malpractice claims made with tail

NO PTO (coming to terms that most don't offer this in EDs)

The benefits leave a lot to be desired but the hourly seems decent for a new grad. What do you think?

Thank you!

The licenses, DEA and all professional fees can be reimbursed through the $1500 CME that we have.

The hourly rate seems to be above average on all sources I've seen so far, especially for a new grad. Possibility of the potential RVU added to hourly makes me seem like this offer is a no brainer. Maybe I'm missing something.

Do you feel that the hourly rate doesn't enough make up for (lack of) benefits?

Thanks for your experienced words!

I don't like that licensing, DEA etc reimbursement is coming from your CME monies.

What is encompassed by "partial health insurance"? 

Is no PTO now a thing?  I encountered this once in an interview a couple of years ago but didn't think too much of it.  (The rest of the offer was not seriously worth considering so I figured the no PTO piece was consistent in the overall poor compensation package the place in question offered.)

Perhaps I'm spoiled by where I'm working.

By partial health insurance, I mean that I'd pay $50 per pay period for basic insurance and $100 for better coverage. Option for dental, vision. My wife's insurance is better so I'm thinking of using hers, actually. I agree that I'd like to have licenses paid but it's one of those CMGs and I don't think the benefits are negotiable.

401k- it's my understanding that it kicks in right away but I'm not 100% on it. I'll have to find out tomorrow.

The only other offer I have is one with emcare where the hourly is $55/h but I'm not sure about the benefits. It's also in an ED where there's a culture of productivity and one I'm not sure I'll thrive in from the start.

I was lukewarm about the 2nd job but I'll guess I'll have to reconsider.

Archived