Disclose underage drinking offense?

Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a license in my state and I have a question on how to proceed. 10+ years ago I was detained for underage drinking. After getting an attorney I was able to plea the offense down to a "municipal ordinance." This prevented me from possessing a "criminal record." However, my state's application has very specific wording in one of the questions and would require me to select "yes" given my history. I am prepared to do this and I already have the documentation, however, if I were to get it expunged I am allowed to select "no" per the applications FAQ. Getting it expunged would take approx 3 months and delay the processing of my license and employment start date.

My question is should I:

A.) Select "yes" and provide the required documentation and a letter of explanation and keep my fingers crossed?

OR 

B.) Get it expunged and select "no" in approx 3 months, thereby delaying my license and start date. 

In retrospect I would have gotten the offense expunged some time ago but I did not expect the wording of this particular question to be so inclusive. 

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

I would just cop to the underage drinking. It's not a major or unusual offense and spending time and effort to expunge it just makes it look like a bigger deal than it actually is.

I would suspect that a large number of us consumed some alcohol before the legal age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't even bother with a lawyer, personally.

Start here: http://thelawdictionary.org/article/how-to-order-a-criminal-background-check-on-yourself/. If anything pops up, then consider listing it and providing paperwork as needed. If not...why bother?  Don't forget these are state employees. They are doing the bare minimum work when it comes to your license (and I do mean bare minimum). I highly doubt going to go overboard researching you if your background check comes up clean.

If you were a minor, and it was a municipal offense, I would NOT disclose this anywhere on any form to any institution---and be congruent throughout your schooling and career.

For peace of mind you should run a background check on yourself for $20-50. You can also run a state courts records check.

I know a PA that had some similar misdemeanor/municipal indiscretions before college. Paid his dues and never listed a thing, after he did the above. I'm sure he's been background checked probably 10 times since starting PA school.

OP  - Depends on the specific wording of your state boards.

If it asks if you've ever been convicted or adjudicated, then YES, you have.  Whether or not it was expunged does not change whether or not you were convicted or adjudicated.

I was arrested once, and the charges dropped.  If I'm asked whether I've been convicted I can say "no".  But if they ask if I've been arrested or charged, I say "yes", and provide a 3 sentence explanation.  While this cost me a month of work during my first licensure, it isn't worth the stress of worrying about "whether they are going to find out."

It all depends on the question asked.  Answer them ALL truthfully!

Good luck

Boats

Archived