2017 Application

45 minutes ago, tcm123 said:

We will be in touch with all applicants by the end of November about whether they have been invited to move on in our admissions process. Interviews will be held throughout the fall. While CASPA applications are not reviewed on a rolling basis, interview invitations will be announced on a rolling basis. Applicants should expect admissions offers to be announced no later than mid-March.

Thats what I got a couple days ago from them! 

Awesome thanks for the info!  Did you email them, or did they spontaneously send that to you?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not heard ANYTHING yet. Applied by the deadline with a complete application. Anyone else in similar boat? Today is 9/12/17.
Thank you!

Hello! I was verified very early and also have not heard anything, I think we're all still waiting for a confirmation email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/8/2017 at 4:38 PM, lemurcatta said:

I applied because this is a California school, but I'm actually quite skeptical about the UC Davis program. Specifically, why is it under a school of nursing? Also, it seems that that non-primary care rotations are very short (2 weeks), there doesn't appear to be assurances students will get good peds and ob/gym exposure  outside of primary care, and there is not a lot of elective time. It's cool that they have a primary care focus, but why shorten other experiences so severely.. Anyone else have these concerns? 

lemurcatta, what specifically are you skeptical about?

The UC Davis NP/PA program used to be housed in the School of Medicine, but was poorly supported and, in so many words, was eventually abandoned. The School of Nursing adopted the NP/PA program and is currently training its third cohort. Through a $100 million grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, UC Davis just completed construction of an amazing training facility on the Medical Center campus. For those who are local to the Sacramento area, Moore Hall is celebrating its Grand Opening on Friday, October 13. Open to the public.

I used to have concerns about studying to be a PA at a program housed in a School of Nursing. The complaint I would most often raise was that I wanted to train in the medical model and not the nursing model. Looking in from the outside, it appeared as though UC Davis were confusing the two models. However, those concerns were dispelled during orientation. Now mind you that we are only one quarter into the didactic phase, but I have often found myself looking to my RN/BSN classmates for help, deferring to their more seasoned knowledge and experience. Having applied to other local programs I feel very lucky to be part of the current cohort here at Davis.

As far as your comment about the primary care focus, every school has a mission. Cornell and Univ of Alabama offer extended exposure to surgery, Univ of Colorado focuses on preparing pediatric primary care, Davis focuses on preparing primary NPs/PAs. Though, its not as though you can't study here if you want to go into emergency medicine. Just know that when the website mentions training a diverse cohort to offer culturally sensitive primary care to the residents of California, they mean it.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:54 AM, ryebread203 said:

lemurcatta, what specifically are you skeptical about?

The UC Davis NP/PA program used to be housed in the School of Medicine, but was poorly supported and, in so many words, was eventually abandoned. The School of Nursing adopted the NP/PA program and is currently training its third cohort. Through a $100 million grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, UC Davis just completed construction of an amazing training facility on the Medical Center campus. For those who are local to the Sacramento area, Moore Hall is celebrating its Grand Opening on Friday, October 13. Open to the public.

I used to have concerns about studying to be a PA at a program housed in a School of Nursing. The complaint I would most often raise was that I wanted to train in the medical model and not the nursing model. Looking in from the outside, it appeared as though UC Davis were confusing the two models. However, those concerns were dispelled during orientation. Now mind you that we are only one quarter into the didactic phase, but I have often found myself looking to my RN/BSN classmates for help, deferring to their more seasoned knowledge and experience. Having applied to other local programs I feel very lucky to be part of the current cohort here at Davis.

As far as your comment about the primary care focus, every school has a mission. Cornell and Univ of Alabama offer extended exposure to surgery, Univ of Colorado focuses on preparing pediatric primary care, Davis focuses on preparing primary NPs/PAs. Though, its not as though you can't study here if you want to go into emergency medicine. Just know that when the website mentions training a diverse cohort to offer culturally sensitive primary care to the residents of California, they mean it.

What Ryebread203 is saying is pretty much correct. Except I wouldn't say that the medical school abandoned us. What I heard from a second year is that the Davis School of Medicine could not support a masters program any longer, but the school of nursing could. That is why it is now housed at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. To echo Ryebread 203, I think it is wonderful learning with the nurses. They possess a ton of clinical and pharmaceutical knowledge. I have learned so many new tidbits of information by working with them in a group setting. PA and NP is such a closely related career, that I think it is more of a bonus working and learning together than a setback. It is the only unique cohort of its kind in the country, and I only see benefits of working together.

Archived