2017 Application

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ryebread203 Wow, accepted off the waitlist the day before the program started?! That is crazy last minute! Do you mind me asking how everything worked out, with your seat being offered at such short notice? My current employer is already anxious knowing that I may possibly be leaving my position for PA school but I reassured them that I would give them 2 weeks notice. That definitely would not be happening if I got offered a seat at the last minute...lol. Anyhow, I am waaaay ahead of myself so I'm not even going to worry about that now. I was just wondering how you handled it. Hopefully, you're also a California resident, so moving to Sacramento wasn't such a big move.

Hey everybody, just wanted to see if anybody has started to hear back from the program yet?  After reading previous/other forums I saw that mid-end of August seems to be when they start getting sent.  I've been checking that junk folder every day just in case!  Good luck to everybody!

1 hour ago, Gensler323 said:

Hey everybody, just wanted to see if anybody has started to hear back from the program yet?  After reading previous/other forums I saw that mid-end of August seems to be when they start getting sent.  I've been checking that junk folder every day just in case!  Good luck to everybody!

I haven't heard a thing from them so I think we've still got some waiting to do! 

3 hours ago, Gensler323 said:

Nothing. I keep checking my junk folder too! Lol

Hi Emyc63,

Thank you for saying hello and offering to answer questions. Congrats for getting in, hope your first year is going well. I do not think I will get an invite this round. I have learned much from being a first time applicant and look forward to the next application season.  All the best, maybe I'll see you on campus in your second year.  K

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 7:45 PM, LeQuack said:

??? I'm a little confused. I received a rejection from them back in late July... I submitted in June. Maybe the timeline posted isn't completely finite. 

LeQuack, whether a school receives 3000 applications or 1000 applications, one of the first steps they take to immediately cut down that number is to apply very strict minimum prerequisites. Obviously cant say for certain, but it could have been your clinical experience hours, GPA, prerequisite coursework, etc that did not meet the UC Davis' minimum requirements. This step is purely quantitative. The more time-intensive qualitative assessments that the faculty/staff interview committees conduct in order to whittle down 2000+ applications to ~240 happens later.

Again, can't be certain, but I would take a good look through your minimum prerequisites and figure out how to improve these beyond being just "minimum." Honestly, this could mean a lot of different things. In the end, you want your application to stand out, but if you had to choose one thing to really focus on, then I would suggest getting as much clinical experience as possible before applying and entering your program. The lessons you learn in the clinical/hospital about patient care, pharmaceuticals, etc. will carry you through the didactic phase of the program and will definitely give you a leg up in the clinical phase. Good luck.

I applied because this is a California school, but I'm actually quite skeptical about the UC Davis program. Specifically, why is it under a school of nursing? Also, it seems that that non-primary care rotations are very short (2 weeks), there doesn't appear to be assurances students will get good peds and ob/gym exposure  outside of primary care, and there is not a lot of elective time. It's cool that they have a primary care focus, but why shorten other experiences so severely.. Anyone else have these concerns? 

Hey guys I'm a current first year. Good luck to all of you. It's an awesome program. PM me if you guys have any questions. I wouldn't expect to get an interview until September. That's when I got mine last year. 

Hi there may I ask your stats and background? I keep getting rejected by schools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/8/2017 at 4:38 PM, lemurcatta said:

I applied because this is a California school, but I'm actually quite skeptical about the UC Davis program. Specifically, why is it under a school of nursing? Also, it seems that that non-primary care rotations are very short (2 weeks), there doesn't appear to be assurances students will get good peds and ob/gym exposure  outside of primary care, and there is not a lot of elective time. It's cool that they have a primary care focus, but why shorten other experiences so severely.. Anyone else have these concerns? 

Current student. I think this is a misconception.  "Blocks" are two weeks each but most rotations are more than one block (i.e. ob/gyn, surgery).  Also many rotations like some pediatrics, geriatrics, and women's health count as part of your "primary care" rotations.  You also have the option to pick an elective and/or add additional blocks to a specialty you are interested in.

52 minutes ago, Gensler323 said:

Just checking in with everyone to see anybody has heard anything yet??? Has anybody contacted admissions yet?  I am thinking about calling them today or tomorrow just to see if they have any new or pertinent information.

We will be in touch with all applicants by the end of November about whether they have been invited to move on in our admissions process. Interviews will be held throughout the fall. While CASPA applications are not reviewed on a rolling basis, interview invitations will be announced on a rolling basis. Applicants should expect admissions offers to be announced no later than mid-March.

Thats what I got a couple days ago from them! 

20 minutes ago, tcm123 said:

We will be in touch with all applicants by the end of November about whether they have been invited to move on in our admissions process. Interviews will be held throughout the fall. While CASPA applications are not reviewed on a rolling basis, interview invitations will be announced on a rolling basis. Applicants should expect admissions offers to be announced no later than mid-March.

Thats what I got a couple days ago from them! 

You're awesome thanks for the update!

Archived