2017 Application

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be reapplying later this month. For those interested, the general timeline is as follows:

• July 15 (Application deadline)
  • Mid-August (Confirmation that application has been received) -- the School of Nursing will not contact you before then
  • Mid-September (Candidate visit day invitation; not really an interview, only 4 hours long)
  • Late September to mid-October (Candidate visit days)
  • Late October (Invitation to submit the graduate supplemental application)
  • December 1 (Graduate supplemental application due)
  • Mid-December (Accepted applicants emailed; waitlisted applicants emailed) -- same day (this year it will probably will be Dec 15)

• 2 weeks later...

@ryebread203 based on your time frame, does that mean we would have to fly to UC Davis twice? And why would the grad supp app be due AFTER we have already visited? Sorry I'm a little confused! 

Not sure what you mean pinkhearts808. Maybe I wasnt entirely clear above. The candidate visit day invitations were sent out in mid-September last year. Once you confirm that you will be attending, the School of Nursing schedules you for a specific date to attend the interview, which will occur sometime between late September (as mine was) and mid-October. Following the visit day, they invite specific applicants to complete the supplementary application sometime late October (due December 1). The supplementary application is the last step in the process. The School of Nursing emails the accepted cohort and the wait-listed group (last year, this happened on the same day--Dec 15).

The process is somewhat different from what other programs do. I would assume that opening the supplemental application to only a select number of interviewed candidate eliminates having to unnecessary read several hundred responses. Remember schools in California typically receive 2000+ applications annually. Fairly certain that UC Davis doesn't announce application stats to the wider public, but I seem to recall that those ~240 applications who receive an invitation to attend the candidate visit day represent the top 10% of the applicant pool. From that group, they admit 64+ to the joint PA/NP cohort (total 87).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 2:24 PM, PAdestined4greatness said:

@ryebread203 you said it is not really an interview? Can you please explain in detail what you meant by that?

Thanks

Hi there! I'm Jessica, a current first year PA student at UC Davis. The Candidate Visit Day is the "interview" for UCD. There are presentations about the program from directors and students, opportunities to learn more about the program, and a couple of activities. The most agonizing part is a 2 minute "elevator speech" where you basically answer why you want to be a PA and how you fit at UCD. There's some group activities as well, where you do an activity with a small group.

I wouldn't worry about Candidate Visit Day now. Work on representing your experiences accurately in your personal statement. Be genuine about why you want to be a PA.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me or ask here!

2 hours ago, Rjs81 said:

Hello,

I just decided today that I am going to apply to UC Davis P.A. program for 2017. I know applications close oh July 15th. Do you think it is to late to start the process? 

UCI Davis does not have rolling admissions. So I think you are good. Go ahead. Good luck! 

On their website it says, "Students applying for the physician assistant studies program must complete a Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) and meet selection criteria. Following that process, a select pool of qualified applicants will receive an invitation to apply through the UC Davis Graduate Studies application." 

Has anyone gotten an invitation to apply through the UC Davis Graduate Studies application yet?

Hi PAtience, 

From what others have posted UC Davis begins the process in August. I have not received a link for the supplemental application, "yet." I remain hopeful. 

I'm curious as well if anyone else has been invited to complete the supplemental. 

Good Luck! 

12 minutes ago, PAtience said:

On their website it says, "Students applying for the physician assistant studies program must complete a Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) and meet selection criteria. Following that process, a select pool of qualified applicants will receive an invitation to apply through the UC Davis Graduate Studies application." 

Has anyone gotten an invitation to apply through the UC Davis Graduate Studies application yet?

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, ryebread203 said:

I will be reapplying later this month. For those interested, the general timeline is as follows:

• July 15 (Application deadline)
  • Mid-August (Confirmation that application has been received) -- the School of Nursing will not contact you before then
  • Mid-September (Candidate visit day invitation; not really an interview, only 4 hours long)
  • Late September to mid-October (Candidate visit days)
  • Late October (Invitation to submit the graduate supplemental application)
  • December 1 (Graduate supplemental application due)
  • Mid-December (Accepted applicants emailed; waitlisted applicants emailed) -- same day (this year it will probably will be Dec 15)

Hi @PAtience , I copy pasted the timeline posted by @ryebread203. It's a great quick guide for what and when to expect things from UCD.

If it's anything like last cycle, you need to "interview" in order to get a supplemental, however I have heard of some applicants getting one w/o interviewing, but this wouldn't be until after the "candidate visit days". I'm not really sure how much the interview contributes to your overall score since you really only get to do a short group activity in a group of about 8, which is followed by a two minute presentation. No one-on-one opportunity is given, which leads me to believe this school is just ranking applicants on overall stats. The supplemental is lengthy with about 2 major essays and one short essay, which is given to majority of applicants who interviewed (at least from the people I spoke to). Good luck to you guys!

Good luck to everyone applying!  As for stats our current cohort is extremely diverse with varying GPAs and experience.  The graduate studies applications aren't sent out until after you interview (this is the supplemental).  You won't hear from the program until Aug-Sept so relax and enjoy being finished with CASPA!

Hey all, 

I applied here as one of 12 back up programs after my primary choice.  Looks like they won't be notifying anybody until late in the cycle.  Also a little confused about the orientation day somebody else mentioned, is it required? is it considered an interview?

Stats: 33/m NC Resident, Ex-Military, Current Paramedic

3.09 cGPA

3.49 sGPA

>3k hrs as an EMT/Paramedic

On 7/23/2017 at 4:59 PM, FunkyMedic said:

Also a little confused about the orientation day somebody else mentioned, is it required? is it considered an interview?

FunkyMedic, yes the Campus Visit day is required. UC Davis does not have a traditional interview like many schools. Rather, they feel confident in their ability to evaluate applicants based on their submitted documents. That said, the Campus Visit day gives you the opportunity to interact with staff and faculty for 4 hours and really only enough time to reveal to disqualify yourself. The half day visit includes a tour of the School of Nursing facilities, program overview, financial aid presentation, 2 minute personal introduction (elevator-style pitch about yourself) and a 10-15 minute small group collaboration (this component very closely parallels the team-based learning activities the PA program uses in many of its courses).

As a first year student (I was accepted off the waitlist the day before the program started), my biggest pieces of advice at this point would be to write, edit, rewrite, edit, etc all the documents you submit for supplemental application. Getting invited to the Campus Visit day is an important first step. 2000+ apply each year, ~240 get invited to the Visit day and they only accept 65 PA students each year. So, you really need to put some thought into these required essays.

The last comment I would make is that California, in general, and Sacramento, in particular, are culturally diverse locations with many underserved and underresourced populations. UC Davis aims to train NP/PA cohorts that will practice culturally sensitive primary care. If you can articulate how your experiences and future professional aspirations fit into this vision, then you will have a leg up in the evaluation process. Good luck.

Archived