Malpractice Ins?

I am a practicing PA in Urgent Care and would like to move into a Surgical PA position part-time, where I would only be assisting in surgery and would not be following up on rounds. When applying for malpractice insurance should I use the category of PA or Surg Assistant? The annual premium is drastically more expensive. PA's = $2000/yr and SurgAssist = $250/yr for the same $1M/$3M coverage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, CG

Not sure -- my best advice would be to call the insurance carrier to clarify. If the distinction is made by actual job duties, surg-assist sounds right. If it's by professional certification then you may be stuck.

I'm wondering in a more general way, since I just got a sales pitch in the mail, whether I need to carry an individual malpractice plan. I work part-time Urgent Care, and since I'm in the same union as the nurses I have some access to representation and advice, should the need ever come up. But that's not the same as knowing I have access to my own attorney counsel. Two grand a year (actually more like $4k, if I read it correctly) is a lot, though.

if you are a PA in the OR (even if you are hired as a surgical assistant) I would insure against getting sued as a PA....... $4k sounds expensive till you realize this will protect your entire nest egg.... BUT it should be provided by the employer and not have to be provided by the employee unless you are getting a GREAT rate (over $80/hour)

The sales pitch made it sound like in the event of a suit, the lawyer would be protecting the group, and not me. .

this is the sales pitch they all give

honestly getting your own policy for a part time job seems a little much. also, if you have a policy you are more likely to be named in a suit as you will have $$$$ to back you up - although the insu company will defend you.

Early in career with no nest egg built - skip the insurance

later in career - big nest egg - buy the insurance and remain content......

Archived