Pros and Cons of Cardiology

This is a really general question.... what may be a pro to you, may be a con to others.

Additionally, there can be a wide variance in cardio jobs.... inpatient? Outpatient? Level of autonomy, etc

Specifics about the job and some info on what you like may be helpful.

Is this your first PA job?

RuralER/Ortho thank you for replying!

Yes this will be my first job as a PA if I accept. There is flexibility with this position but I believe the job will be mostly outpatient with inpatient rounding required one weekend a month. The PA and NP who already work there seem to be fairly autonomous and it was mentioned that eventually I might be able to have my own clinic. There are a ton of PA's and NP's who work at the heart hospital affiliated with this clinic and they appear to pretty much run the place. There would be some travel between clinics but this is supposed to be minimized and mileage will be reimbursed. This is a salary exempt position which is a bit concerning to me.

Some of my more specific questions are: Does cardiology get routine (monotonous) fairly quickly? How is your stress level and lifestyle? Do you find the work rewarding? Why did you chose to go into cardiology and/or why do you stay? 

Thanks again! 

• 7 months later...

Hi joon315,

Firstly congrats. I think cardiology is a great position that plays a vital role in the healthcare industry.One of the major benefits of being a cardiologist is the amount of money that you can earn. You will also enjoy solid benefits that include retirement benefits and health coverage.

If you still have any confusion, consult with an experienced cardiologist to answer your questions.

Thanks!!

Archived