NPs paid more than PA's at my job!!

2 hours ago, JDayBFL said:

Same here, negotiated my medic experience + fellowship experience into starting salary. Started on 7 year experience pay scale and am credentialed to do procedures no other PA/NP is credentialed to do at hospital. Prior experience and fellowship/residency = respect. No other way around it in today's world. 

doctorate helps too....:)

On 10/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, runforhotdogs said:

And do you really think the bean counters at a hospital haven't weighed it out? Kind of hard for me to believe an EMT and a nurse are both equal as well. Let's give credit to where credit is due. I find it an insult quite frankly. My sister-in-law is an ICU nurse and went to 4 years at U of Wa. So how many years of college do you need to become an EMT? Right, a nurse needs an associates or a bachelors. EMT, a high school diploma. They are both very equivalent of course. It's outrageous they pay EMT peanuts next to nurses too will be your next argument. Should we pay a 15 year old EMT veteran the same as a first year PA? 15 years, must have seen everything and can do about 80% what a PA can do right? It's one thing to have professional, but logical and lucid, disagreements or arguments. It's another to make inane arguments. I get it. You are pissed because you make less and realize that you work a lot and make less. Guess what? Welcome to the world of medicine. I just heard an OBGYN complain about her workload and paycheck after being bought out by another health orgo. She is sad she can't afford a million dollar home.

We should make the same as NPs as we are doing the same "job" even if you were a nurse prior (which is NOT a provider). I disagree that 2 years of nursing = 1 year as a NP. Not the same role. Should a MD cardiologist fresh out of residency make more then the DO cardiologist fresh out of residency? MD = DO and PA = NP. I can see having prior HCE can get you quicker into doing procedures/different skill set, but not pay. That is why an ASN gets less pay than a BSN due to education, but doesn't gain them anymore practice rights. PAs and NPs (mostly) have a master's degree, which should start off at the same $, if the NP has a DNP (which is another talk for another day) then yes the bean counter's could say they get more pay for more education which I can respect (solely based off the education, not that most PAs with a Masters have more credit hours than DNPs). 

i was just using EMT as an example to make my point. and I totally disagree with DNP making more than PA for the same role. the DNP does NOT require any more clinical experience, fellowship/residency etc. They have to write a paper and attend a few seminars..pathetic. 

20 minutes ago, bldavi2 said:

i was just using EMT as an example to make my point. and I totally disagree with DNP making more than PA for the same role. the DNP does NOT require any more clinical experience, fellowship/residency etc. They have to write a paper and attend a few seminars..pathetic. 

Oh I completely agree that is the same as ASN vs BSN as my wife is a FNP and went through a BSN program, and she stated herself that ASN students were more prepared clinically as all she did in school was write papers, but gets paid more. I am just looking at what the bean counters look at. 

Archived