WEST VIRGINIA University of Charleston 2017-2018 Cycle

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, pa17 said:

For those who were rejected, what makes you think you were rejected and what are some ways to improve? I got rejected as well, so just wondering since i thought the interview went well!

Also, where are your upcoming interviews? Best of luck!

I was chatting with a few people that I interviewed with about this, we question the sheer number of interviews. Statistically when I interviewed only 21 spots remained. so 21/171 is not good odds. Then the scoring system I wondered about. We got a score from CASPA and I believe that is how we all got picked to interview, then they take that score and add the score (out of 100) for the interview and make the selection. My interview went really well and I was rejected. The two others I talked to that interviewed August 9-10 were rejected as well. So I really am not sure how it all went down. These are just some subjects we chatted about. Best thing to do is email Pam and see what the admins committee thinks each person can improve.

Anyway, a HUGE congrats to all those accepted and waitlisted! For those who attend it really seems like you will be in great hands. :)

I was chatting with a few people that I interviewed with about this, we question the sheer number of interviews. Statistically when I interviewed only 21 spots remained. so 21/171 is not good odds. Then the scoring system I wondered about. We got a score from CASPA and I believe that is how we all got picked to interview, then they take that score and add the score (out of 100) for the interview and make the selection. My interview went really well and I was rejected. The two others I talked to that interviewed August 9-10 were rejected as well. So I really am not sure how it all went down. These are just some subjects we chatted about. Best thing to do is email Pam and see what the admins committee thinks each person can improve.

Anyway, a HUGE congrats to all those accepted and waitlisted! For those who attend it really seems like you will be in great hands. :)

I agree with what you've said! It just works out to low odds when you do the math. Also, when I interviewed, Pam Carden said, during the first night, that the faculty will sometimes fight to accept people, who they really liked, "from the bottom of the list," so the scoring system isn't the end all be all, either. Hope this helps anyone that will be applying to UC, again, and good luck in the program to the people who were accepted!

3 hours ago, Jdubbs said:

For those who get accepted or wait listed, would you mind posting some of your stats just to compare? 

1.College GPA

2. # of Hours working and Volunteering

3.GRE Score

Wait listed

cGPA 3.9

sGPA 3.88

Exp: Around 1000 hours of PCE and 40-50 volunteer

GRE: 159V 154Q 4.0

Also had family ties to West Virginia and a few connections higher up in the university

For those who get accepted or wait listed, would you mind posting some of your stats just to compare? 
1.College GPA
2. # of Hours working and Volunteering
3.GRE Score
Waitlisted.

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.6
GRE: 312 with 4 on AW
PCE: 1,350 hrs as CNA
HCE: 200 hrs
Volunteer: over 100 hrs

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just weighing in. I got waitlisted as well. I interviewed 9/13-9/14 and got the email at 10:20am this morning. Congrats to those of you who got accepted!! :)
An annoying question: did anyone receive a waitlist notification before 10:20? I am wondering if they started at the top/bottom of the waitlist or if it is completely random?

I like the way you think haha I interviewed on the 13th and 14th and got a waitlist email at 9:47!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/20/2017 at 5:55 PM, medlabscientist said:

Just weighing in. I got waitlisted as well. I interviewed 9/13-9/14 and got the email at 10:20am this morning. Congrats to those of you who got accepted!! :)

An annoying question: did anyone receive a waitlist notification before 10:20? I am wondering if they started at the top/bottom of the waitlist or if it is completely random?

I got wait listed and got an email 9:40am!

On 9/26/2017 at 10:39 PM, VPB said:

Anybody that has been accepted, have you received any information regarding housing and financial aid? is there a Facebook group for the entering class of 2018? 

I haven't received anything regarding financial aid or housing. I'm searching for housing on my own (I want a house because I have kids and animals) and not having the grestest luck. However, if apartment living is what you desire there are a million options! I recommend zillow and trulia. Apartments.com too. 

10 hours ago, DStillwagon said:

I haven't received anything regarding financial aid or housing. I'm searching for housing on my own (I want a house because I have kids and animals) and not having the grestest luck. However, if apartment living is what you desire there are a million options! I recommend zillow and trulia. Apartments.com too. 

Dana- my boyfriend and I found our house to rent on Zillow (but like you said the pickings are slim). I have a classmate who found a house to rent on Craigslist. 

10 hours ago, wktk222 said:

Many people doesn't seem to opt in for campus housing. 

I'm considering campus housing, anyone know how that might be like?

Email me! :) I would be happy to give you additional information (stephanietu@ucwv.edu)

On 9/26/2017 at 10:39 PM, VPB said:

Anybody that has been accepted, have you received any information regarding housing and financial aid? is there a Facebook group for the entering class of 2018? 

Jordan told me he will send an email out to all the accepted applicants who have sent their deposit by tonight about the Facebook group! I'm sorry, your buddy should have emailed you about that, but we have had a little bit of a crazy week with exams.

Archived